Back from barb and now, WD.

Monk
I just wanted to share with you my thoughts on how we stand compared to leapquake and perm cota, which I have had the privilege of playing these past 2 weeks since leaving Ivgorod.

The damage is certainly higher, the gameplay is fun because you get build changing sets, instead of tweaks like infinite resource flow and very short cooldowns.

However, the power ceiling is still a lot lower than WD, crusader and Wiz. the key issue is the speed of damage delivery. Sure, i drop 13,500 WD AOE, but it needs the 8 seconds to burn thru. Also, they nerfed leap animations (heard blizz is putting it back next patch) so even the application of said AOE takes a long time. In the time I leap thrice my monk can probably kick 5-6 times for 5 x 13XX% WD.

So barb has a bottleneck too. You will see this come up often in barb forums, "by the time we leap the third time the whole pack is dead." and yeap, the culprits are the usual ones - WoW wizards aka Walking Hiroshimas and Jade Harvest WDs. Crusaders are up to some sick stuff too with perma AC, but i havent done enough research or played with enough crusaders to comment.

Conclusion: The barb ramps up to speed really quickly but with the nerf to leapquake's strongest synergizing passive and the slower leap animation, the power ceiling experienced is only slightly higher than the monks. They're in a bad place now and probably need help after we're buffed.

Whats next? Well, 2.1 isn't here which means our near-BIS guys still perform on par with a WD's TMF Dog. I refuse to be on the same level as a pet, or a pull-palm tank, so now I'm going to start playing my Witch Doc.

See you after I get Jade.
Its only been a couple of days, but I just wanted to share what's going on with my WD.

I got a Tall Man's Finger on Wednesday night and a Mask of Jeram last night. My giant zombie dog (aka gargdog) crits for 72, 73 million.

That's uh, all i wanted to say.

2.1 cant come soon enough for monks.
I think it looks something like this

Overpowered: WD > Crusader
Balanced: Wizard > DH
Slightly Underwhelming: Barb
Underpowered / Follower: Monk
Jade indeed hits hard (mythicdoc)... But when you get it, you'll understand why it's a hard setup and why it will probably work better if part of a group. This set could not be farther from pet doc gameplay. If you are used to starcraft micro, you'll probably adapt to the set quite well. But this much is for sure, the gameplay is a lot faster than even the average DH and I have a T6 DH that I can compare to. I am under the opinion that the jade set is not for everyone.
05/27/2014 10:22 PMPosted by HuntingFox
See you after I get Jade.

Hello everyone, I'm back. This is how we stand with regards to Jade harvest;

I don't have quetzcotl, so I'm effectively dealing half the damage per harvest to someone fully geared. Due to the short time frame I've just got 5 pieces and am using my monk's RORG. The SOJ is also the wrong element. If not for the fact that Kadala suddenly decided to be a darling and give me jade gloves AND pants yesterday night, I couldnt be typing this post either.

05/30/2014 03:31 AMPosted by Mythicman
But when you get it, you'll understand why it's a hard setup and why it will probably work better if part of a group.

This may perhaps be true for high torment, I've been playing T3 and 4 so far with my half-baked gear. But even so, I am one-shotting T3 elites, two-shotting T4 without quetz, and its not difficult solo as well. This is the sequence.

1. See elite pack
2. Cast piranahdo to cluster + debuff
3. Spam haunt on the pack a few times.
4. Spirit walk in and Harvest.
5. If whole pack was haunted, pick loot.
6. If I missed 1 or 2, repeat step 2.

05/30/2014 03:31 AMPosted by Mythicman
If you are used to starcraft micro, you'll probably adapt to the set quite well.

Well I had my time playing Company of Heroes, a lot of micro there as well. Honestly though, I dont find the playstyle for jade to be a lot more complex than a monk managing his spirit while pulling and palming. If you can manage your monk, you can definitely manage a WD.
Conclusion:

A half-baked WD like mine one-shots T3 elites.
The damage will DOUBLE once I get my hands on a quetzcotl.
Haunt and Locusts, which are the base for the set damage, currently do not enjoy skill% buff from gear. This is set to be fixed in 2.1, which means you can expect WD power to increase 45% in 2.1.

I don't feel like the set actually breaks the game because its not like u just walk around and make things disappear. You still need to set-up, be alert and stay alive. The damage from the set is incredible, but as opposed to some who may feel WD deserves a nerf, I frankly think all endgame sets should give this sort of feel. Raiment and Sunwuko need to be able to bring the power level of a monk beyond anything a monk without the sets is able to do, just like the power jump from a WD without Jade to one with.
05/30/2014 03:01 AMPosted by Bento
I would say a bit more than slightly underwhelming.
06/02/2014 07:09 PMPosted by LegitBeastin
05/30/2014 03:01 AMPosted by Bento
I would say a bit more than slightly underwhelming.

Having played post-2.0.5 barb i am inclined to agree. The earthen might passive nerf was a much bigger blow than non-barbs can understand. It was one of the few T6 viable builds and it had no-gen, making the dps output very different than what it is today.

As mentioned in my OP, the leapquake animation combined with the damage delivery mechanics places a very real power ceiling for barb. And I cannot honestly say this ceiling is much higher than monk. Or, even any higher.