Rifts, Bounties, RiF, & "communities"

General Discussion
There has been so much discussion lately about Rift keystone fragments, RiF, and gambling your way to end game. It is obvious that the community is very divided on all of these subjects. I wanted to take the time to point out a few of my thoughts and opinions on the subjects as well as offer some suggestions that allows everyone to play the way they want without being forced into a system of Bounty-Rifts, or RiF.

Currently as we all know Blizzard intends for us to do bounties in order to gain rift keystones to open rifts. When RoS first launched this was not a problem for myself and most others, as we were constantly running Bounties in hopes of gaining our RoRG. As the weeks went on however we and people gained their RoRG the bounties were no longer run. Most of us are burnt out on running the same bounties over and over and over again already and the thought of doing it more just so that we can gain keystones to run the content we want to run is heart breaking.

Thus RiF was born. RiF allows groups of up to 3 players to invited 1-3 players into the game for the RG kill and have that person open a new rift. The invited gets shards, and a few items, while the runner(s) get a new rift. Personally I have no issue with people doing this as it is basically a single player game and if the invited wishes to play that way more power to him.

The problem I do have is that at least 1 slot in my party is always reserved for someone with keystones to open a new rift. I have a fairly set group of about 8-10 people in my clan that I run with pretty often. It is really a drag when we cannot fill up a party because we have to have that 1 slot open for someone with keys. None of us feel like we should be forced to run more bounties for keys after we have run 1000's of them each to get multiple RoRG for each of our characters.

The best solution is to readjust the way that bounties and Rifts work with each other. Simply make Rifts free to open. Without the key cost we can now run full parties of 4 without having to worry about someone having keys or wasting hours of playtime gathering keys in bounties we dont want to do. RiF may suffer some. People say they will still invite others for RG kill for the increased Magic find but this is not a solid argument, as it will be better to fill the party for the entire rift and enjoy that increased magic find through-out.

You would have to adjust bounties to be more rewarding as well for people that actually like running those. Increasing the number of Imperial gems, and even higher tier gems that can drop from the cache is a good step. Increasing the number of blood shards rewarded from caches and also from each bounty completed is another. Also something rewarding for completing all 5 act bounties in a single game. Such as a new resplendent cache, possibly with its only set of specific loot, and higher drop rates on gems, and shards, and better chance at generic legs.

People complaining about RiF are basically just jealous of others who have been able to quickly gear up with gambling, It is however a single player game so it doesn't really matter, those people will always be jealous of others no matter what you do. RiF is not a problem, it is a solution to the problem that blizzard has created by forcing what they believe to be the way to play the game on us. It is obvious that we do not want to play the game this way, and that is why RiF has become so popular. Do not nerf RiF. Look for solutions like the ones outlined above to make other aspects of the game more rewarding and appealing.
reserved
Have your clan run a bounty together. Easy bucket of keys for 10minutes of play time.
We dont want to run any more bounties, because we have run them 100's of times and they are boring. we also do not need anything from caches any more aside from keys, so they are pointless aside from that. Why should we be forced to do the same content over and over that we dont want to.?
How are rifts not doing the same thing over and over? Rifts aren't really that randomized. Just go to normal and mindless through some bounties and don't worry about the cache drop. Just think about it as a way to get some free crafting mats.
What you are suggesting completely eliminates the need to do bounties. If you don't want to run them go play a different game maybe?
05/28/2014 06:48 AMPosted by HeatAttack
Also something rewarding for completing all 5 act bounties in a single game.

Would be nice.
05/28/2014 08:50 AMPosted by WaywornSoup
What you are suggesting completely eliminates the need to do bounties. If you don't want to run them go play a different game maybe?

Except for farming XP and gold. Because Blizzard already said that they wanted Bounties to be where people go to farm XP and gold and for Rifts to be where people go to farm loot. If you don't see the disconnect in making someone who is looking for loot have to spend an equal amount of time in a game mode where loot is not a priority, I assume you'd also be ok if the opposite was true? Let's say that now in order to bounties, you have to get an item off of a Rift Guardian. This item drops 1 per guardian, and you have to turn it in to Tyrael to unlock 1 act worth of bounties. That seems like a good system right? After all, we don't want to accidentally eliminate the desire to do rifts now do we?
You anyone is feeling "forced" to play the game anyway other then the way the want to, or have the most fun doing it, then they simply have weak willpower, and/or addicted to the game. They should find something else to do.

You're not "forced" to do anything. To say otherwise, is a very lack of the understanding of what "forced" really means.

If you're doing stuff you don't like, and don't have fun doing, in order to get gear, then you should quit doing that, or quit the game period. The game is suppose to be about fun. If you're not having it, then you should do something that is.

You're simply addicted at that point.
05/28/2014 08:50 AMPosted by WaywornSoup

I didn't suggest taking them out I suggested making them worth running for something other then just keystones. As it is now there is no point in running them because they have a lower Leg drop chance and we do not need the cache specific drops anymore. That is the only thing bounties are good for as it currently stands, Keystone/cache legs.

If you would reread the post I gave several suggestions on how to make bounties worth doing while still taking out the need for keystones to open rifts. If they were worth doing then people would still do them over rifts because their would be a reward. Whats the point of doing something that has a no reward right now? Why should we have to do it again and again and again and again, just to run the content that is worth running?

And to the point of Rifts being the same thing over and over yes they are. The same thing over and over with a higher leg drop chance and more shards for gambling, Its the content we want to play, we shouldn't be locked out of that by the content that is currently not worth playing.

And as it stands now we aren't, because we just leave that 1 spot open for some sucker from RiF to come in and open for us. Thats the work around and it is a poor one because we cannot run a full group unless some poor guy has abunch of keystones and opens all the rifts.
05/28/2014 08:58 AMPosted by Brostradamus
You anyone is feeling "forced" to play the game anyway other then the way the want to, or have the most fun doing it, then they simply have weak willpower, and/or addicted to the game. They should find something else to do.

You're not "forced" to do anything. To say otherwise, is a very lack of the understanding of what "forced" really means.

If you're doing stuff you don't like, and don't have fun doing, in order to get gear, then you should quit doing that, or quit the game period. The game is suppose to be about fun. If you're not having it, then you should do something that is.

You're simply addicted at that point.

IM sorry, your point is ignorant and not at all in line with the point of this thread. You try opening a rift without keystones, and you try getting keystones without running bounties. That actually is forcing you to do bounties if you want to do rifts.

The only thing you are right about but didn't even really hit on in your ignorant and misplaced "Forced bandwagon" post is that we are not forced to play the game at all. Go back to your "Forced to play WD" post and spew more of your "Forced" bandwagon comments there.
05/28/2014 08:56 AMPosted by WillC
05/28/2014 06:48 AMPosted by HeatAttack

People complaining about RiF are basically just jealous of others who have been able to quickly gear up with gambling, It is however a single player game so it doesn't really matter, those people will always be jealous of others no matter what you do. RiF is not a problem, it is a solution to the problem that blizzard has created by forcing what they believe to be the way to play the game on us. It is obvious that we do not want to play the game this way, and that is why RiF has become so popular. Do not nerf RiF. Look for solutions like the ones outlined above to make other aspects of the game more rewarding and appealing.

You are wrong here, people that complain usually worked hard for their gear AND have issues with so many people now being carried to the same gear lvl. Kill Mobs= Get Gear :not Join Game Where this guy with way better then me has almost killed the Mob I can never kill on my own= Yay now I can look like I do t6!

You are wrong here, people that complain usually worked hard for their gear AND Are jealous about so many people now being carried to the same gear lvl. Kill Mobs= Get Gear :not Join Game Where this guy with way better then me has almost killed the Mob I can never kill on my own= Yay now I can look like I do t6!

Fixed it for you.

I spent almost 300 Hours on my DH before I completed my marauder set. Less then 20 on my WD for full zuni. Lucky drops and good gambles. I like it, lets people play other classes they may never have played before and gear up characters and have fun instead of endlessly grinding. Stop being envious of how others play single player games, you play it your way and let them play it theirs.
You anyone is feeling "forced" to play the game anyway other then the way the want to, or have the most fun doing it, then they simply have weak willpower, and/or addicted to the game.

You missed his point so badly, it seems like you didn't even read the post. He didn't say he was FORCED to play diablo 3. He WANTS to play Diablo3, and in fact probably enjoys it. However, the aspect that he enjoys about Diablo 3 is rifting, which requires keys obtained through bounties. So yes, although he is not FORCED to play Diablo3, if he WANTS to play Diablo3 the way he WANTS it to be played, he is FORCED to grind bounties.

How does that not make sense to you? Or were you trying to be edgey with your stupid bull!@#$?
05/28/2014 09:04 AMPosted by HeatAttack
IM sorry, your point is ignorant and not at all in line with the point of this thread. You try opening a rift without keystones, and you try getting keystones without running bounties. That actually is forcing you to do bounties if you want to do rifts. The only thing you are right about but didn't even really hit on in your ignorant and misplaced "Forced bandwagon" post is that we are not forced to play the game at all. Go back to your "Forced to play WD" post and spew more of your "Forced" bandwagon comments there.

My WD is level 40 something, never play him. So...

My post in that topic was simply stating when I join a game (WITH MY CRUSADER), I normally have 3 WD with me.

You must be the unluckiest fool in the entire game. I never have Fragments, and never seem to have a problem finding a rift open.

Go have some more assburgers.
Why do people feel that they can determine how they play the game? I mean, at what point do the devs come out and say, no, this is a part of the game design and you can't skip it.

Honestly, I feel that we've already gone beyond that point and suggestions like the one being posted are definitely right along that mark. Farming Rift Keys in order to open rifts is a part of the game whether you like it or not. It's a design decision in how they want to pace the game.

The idea that you are FORCED to run bounties in order to run rifts is correct. You are forced to run bounties in order to run rifts. It's a part of the game.

The suggestion is presenting a change to the game for a quality of life effect. With that said, quality of life changes aren't meant to remove or negate a large aspect of the game. It's just as ridiculous as saying that you should be able to open a rift and go straight to the rift boss. It improves the quality of life because it cuts out some of the tedious nature of the game, but at the same time it removes a significant part of the game design.
05/28/2014 11:45 AMPosted by Deuce
Why do people feel that they can determine how they play the game?

Because they legitimately paid for it and would like to enjoy their purchase?

05/28/2014 11:45 AMPosted by Deuce
Farming Rift Keys in order to open rifts is a part of the game whether you like it or not. It's a design decision in how they want to pace the game.

The idea that you are FORCED to run bounties in order to run rifts is correct. You are forced to run bounties in order to run rifts. It's a part of the game.

Yes... which brings us to the point made in this thread. The OP and myself, and anyone else posting in this thread that has agreed with the OP are trying to point out that we do not think it is the CORRECT game design decision to FORCE players to do !@#$ they don't like. Yes, currently, it is part of the game. But we would like it to not be that way.

You know, there isn't some rulebook in the Blizzard offices that says "you must arbitrarily gate content behind other bull%^-* just because". They can change it.
Forgive me if I am wrong but the reward for bounties IS rift fragments. I thought this was a known. If you are not wishing to do bounties then you do not want to put in the effort to run rifts. How is this forcing your hand at anything? You mentioned RiF. Let someone else do the work and then just jump in. Mining items for end game loot has been a game mechanic since the anni and torches were introduced in d2. Intent is intent regardless of whether we like it or not. It was Blizzards intent that you farm rift fragments to do rifts. That may change in the future but for now it is what it is. Nothing in this game is forced. Either you choose to or choose not but it is still a choice you have made
TL;DR

I want to be able to simply collect a pay check from my job without all the mindless work that is scattered in between checks. So what does everyone think? Should we QQ to our jobs that we simply don't want to work for our money and just be paid? I'm with OP, we should totally do this.

or

I like just opening caches and gambling blood shards and collecting key fragments but dont want to put in the effort to earn those caches or blood shards. What do you think guys, Blizzard should just give us all of these things for free with no work required because that's how I like to play the game. Right guys?

________

I have seen a lot of whiny threads here and typically do not comment, but your blatant laziness is simply one that I could not pass up. No, I personally do not think that rifts should be free to enter. Yes, I think you should have to do the bounties in order to get key fragments. The fact that they go hand-in-hand makes total sense. How is people just outright wanting free rifts any different than people that do RiF hoping, through various variables in the invite parameters, to get free rifts?

And why would you reserve a post in this nonsensical thread? There is absolutely nothing to update here. There is no further information that could added to the beginning that would make this thread any less worthless. "Why should we be forced to do the same content over and over that we dont want to.?" Because that's the game dude. Don't like it, don't play. Seems pretty simple to me.

Here's another thought. Split your clan into two or three squads of 3 people. Join the RiF communities and do the old "LF1M Tx @RG YOU OPEN" thing that most clans do. You get your free rfits and those that join get what they are after as well. Change the rosters of your squads every week so that you get to play with all of the people in your clan. You say that you have 8-10 people in your clan that you play with, but you can't play with everyone at the same time anyway. Crying about it and coming up with some lame excuse about being able to play with 1 more of your clan mates is pretty childish. The simple matter of the fact is that you want free rifts without doing anything to earn the fragments. RiF and get over it. lol You want Blizzard to change the entire game to accommodate you and your clan. GG
Posted by DeuceWhy do people feel that they can determine how they play the game? Because they legitimately paid for it and would like to enjoy their purchase?

Yes, while they did purchase the game, they did not purchase rights to change the game nor stock in the business. The game was developed, not by them, but by employees of Blizzard. Those who have purchased the game, purchased it for one of a few reasons: 1. they liked the previous versions and wanted to try it(speaking of D3V as well), 2. They had a friend or family member talk them into buying it, 3. They thought it looked cool and wanted to try it out.

None of these aspects necessarily explain why they are still playing or if they enjoy the game. But the simple fact that they bought the game does not give them the right to believe that they are entitled to change game mechanics at their whim, nor that they should be able to influence a change just because they don't like playing the game as it was intended to be played anymore. They used the bounties and rifts mechanic so that the rifts would be like a bonus or reward for doing the bounties. A reward where you get an additional reward for completing the rift and killing more monsters.
Although I can't say I have done 1000's of bounties, (nor rifts) and I have not geared all of my characters up with bounty legendaries, I do realize that they made the rift keystones as a mechanic in a reward based system.
So you like rifts, then the rifts are a reward for playing through the bounties, kind of like the 1 guaranteed legendary after a reset of the campaign.