is Diablo 3 an improvement over Diablo 2?

General Discussion
08/07/2014 05:15 AMPosted by Veyron
05/22/2014 01:43 PMPosted by Shurgosa
i heard that people were furious about diablo 2 when it was released. that it sucked.

I keep hearing people say this. I started playing at launch and this was definitely not the case. Everyone I played with (pretty much all random pubs) loved the game. It took years for the botting\duping to become rampant enough that it made me just quit.

They likely had different experiences or were perhaps tainted by the forum community.

When I played D3 vanilla at launch I noticed almost no complaints in game either (beyond the complaint that it was unstable and people wanted to play more). This makes sense of course as people who actually like the game would naturally be playing it rather than posting on the forums for the most part. There's a reason why forums for any game released ever are primarily composed of negative threads.
05/22/2014 04:09 PMPosted by neostars
Combat and GFX Yes.
Everything else is just terrible.

+1
08/07/2014 04:57 AMPosted by DeadRu
Too much wrong here, I'm tired of going down this rat hole. I sense this guy does not quite grasp D3 yet

Yet looking at your profile, I have to side w/ his Diablo knowledge over yours.
The combat is much better, in pretty much every way.

Abilities are often much more satisfying to use.

Transmog and dyes are good.

The skill and passive system is much better.

Everything else in Diablo II is better, which is quite a lot: itemization, gearing, build viability, the effort: reward ratio for farming, pvp, story, cinematics, voice acting, characters, obnoxious mechanics (there are fewer), playability in terms of lag and system functioning, and, for lack of a better word, the soul of the game. Diablo III has no soul; you can tell it was made by a money-grubbing corporation instead of artists.
D3 has surpassed its predecessors in all facets of arpgs