So I just got "pked" in hc public rift

General Discussion
05/31/2014 05:48 AMPosted by Apo
05/31/2014 05:44 AMPosted by polyoddity
Don't play public games. It's your fault. You took the risk. It's not hardcore if you have a bunch of guards to protect you from bad decisions.

I could have easily survived that if the client wouldn't freeze. How is that my fault? Anyway it is not the point of the topic ffs. I don't want my character back. The point of this topic is that playing public games in hc is pointless right now.

You keep insinuating it's a newb trap. This also means you're admitting to being a newb. If this is the case, stop being a newb, and you won't be trapped. I don't even play hardcore and I already know you never click on someone's flag. That's just asking to be killed by a troll.
there are a million ways to abuse this:

go full legacy mf gear join t6 riftvoss fights via RiF or Ubers with ur 300k toughness.
or go fullout thorns or pets or whatever !@#$ that still works even though u dont need to click anything and just port on other players and they then use homing pads to get out and wait for u to find new elite to rinse repeat.
Join Public HC game, notice banner says player is "Fighting Elite Pack", wait until it doesn't.

Oh look, problem solved, you're just bad.
I play HC all the time, I've had that happen to me and loaded fine. I then literally cleared the trap while they(2 people set this up) ran around a bit trying to see if I would die, the instant they figured I wouldn't, they left the game.

I am AGAINST the immunity suggestion you propose, people are just going to abuse it. I also find it amusing that you feel blizzard should give you a safety net for hardcore, instead of making your own, ie gearing for more toughness. That's what hardcore is about. Is it your fault you died? Yep. Is it blizzards fault you got pk'ed? Not really. Is it their responsibility to make sure you're 100% safe so you don't hurt yourself for doing something stupid like porting to someone fighting elites? Don't think so. They give you indicators on the flag, literally on what they're fighting, you were basically warned, you just didn't bother to look at the signs. It's like biting off more than you can chew, choking, then blaming the restaurant for not cutting your food into smaller pieces.

I also like to point out that just because you can solo T2, doesn't mean you're geared enough to do a group T2. I've seen someone join a HC public 4man T3 saying he could do solo T4, so T3 should be a cinch, after I suggested he wasn't geared enough. Then the 3 of us literally stood there watching him try to kill a WHITE mob for 30 sec, literally taking it down about 30%, before he ran off, ported to town, then insulted us and left the game. To me, you're one of these peoples.
it is a game and you lost it. get better.
While I agree it was lame, you are just adding to the awful and rewarding the lame players who did this by crying on the forums.

If you are going to play hardcore, please learn how. Either that or wash out to noobcore.

-Blizzard gives you the tools to recognize when someone is in combat and also to see if they are equipped oddly. Use them.

-The game client has flaws... which all of us who play hardcore know about and deal with.
The client loads assets slowly from the hard disk. This is solved with:
1) Playing from SSD
2) Playing from ramdrive
(this will not help performance at really any other time, but it makes up for the client weaknesses)
I agree that this IS a client flaw that should be addressed. But because it is so easily sidestepped, it probably won't be.

The result is that some people play hardcore and rarely, if ever, die.

Hardcore is not for noobs.
Neither is crying.
05/31/2014 06:38 AMPosted by DTMAce
While I agree that the concept of trap laying portals in pub games is rather lame, it is the risk you take when playing in those pub games with a hard core character.

A risk that you simply should not have to take.
Isnt it quite hypocritical to say that I should get better at the game by stacking more toughness so that I cant die no matter what I do?
05/31/2014 05:20 AMPosted by Apo
Done with public hc mode until some protection is implemented against this bs OR until you fix your client so that it doesnt freeze when there are 20 packs stacked in one corner of the map.

I've seen this kind of thing before, Apo. Here's a video of a similar situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfb745fjYeo
It's funny how the OP only made this thread after he died.

Never once during the time his HC was alive did he believe in any of what he said in his OP. While he HC was alive, he was probably happily thinking, "This game is great! HC mode is so awesome!".

Then when he died, he flipped the switch, "OMG, HC is so unplayable, it's a newbtrap. I'm a noob!"
Who plays public HC games? That was your first mistake....& last
05/31/2014 08:14 AMPosted by Apo
Isnt it quite hypocritical to say that I should get better at the game by stacking more toughness so that I cant die no matter what I do?

welcome to the concept of Hardcore in Diablo 3. YOu do not gear for the content infront of you. No you gear for lags, disconects and other unforseen issues. Thats how its mainly done.

05/31/2014 07:42 AMPosted by einherier
there are a million ways to abuse this:

go full legacy mf gear join t6 riftvoss fights via RiF or Ubers with ur 300k toughness.
or go fullout thorns or pets or whatever !@#$ that still works even though u dont need to click anything and just port on other players and they then use homing pads to get out and wait for u to find new elite to rinse repeat.

except if its done correctly, then it will not leave any room for exploitation.

The way how it works is simple.

When you teleport to a player, you are invincible for a few seconds, not much, just enough to see if its a "trap" or do something against lags.

During that time any use of a skill will break the invicibility. Thorns or any other effects are dissabled, while you're invincible, including any life regeneration, potions etc.

A lot of games have similar mechanics. I dont see why Diablo 3 cant have it. Its there to help and protect players, making sure that people have FUN while playing public games, not beeing always worried about if someone might or might not do something stupid or beeing an ... you know the word. I dont know why there is so much support for people that find joy in luring noobs or other players in traps. I have the feeling people would never show something like that in real life, knowing that no one would think good about them. But in the anonimty of the internet, you can say what ever you want.

05/31/2014 08:16 AMPosted by VBPro7
Who plays public HC games? That was your first mistake....& last

then what's the whole point of playing a multiplayer game if you ... should not play public games, in fear of the idiots that might ruin your experience. Should we really let a few individuals dictate the bahviour of everyone just because they take pleasure in exploiting game mechanics (I am pretty sure the flag and teleportation system was never meant for such use) and peoples ignorance.

Multiplayer gaming and public gaming should be about the fun to play together, not beeing always on your toes that your fellow players could cause issues or trick you into something. That should be left to PvP if anything.
05/31/2014 05:31 AMPosted by Apo
They are a noobtrap and you know it.

05/31/2014 05:41 AMPosted by Apo
ublic games in hc are a newbtrap.

You know that yet you still entered.

Community games > public. Use them.
05/31/2014 05:31 AMPosted by Apo
Playable as !@#$. They are a noobtrap and you know it.

Let me guess I should have made my wizard tanky enough to facetank 20 packs for 10 seconds until the game logs me out.

Is it my fault aswell that the client froze and didn't teleport me when I spammed left click?? All I could have done was to watch my hp bar go down :) my fault as %^-*

That's a part of the game, man. Hardcore players are always trying to cheese PK each other. It's been going on for years. You learn from your deaths.

Either stop playing pubs or be more careful next time.
05/31/2014 05:39 AMPosted by Rave
Oh wow your Hardcore characters are sub level 50s. So much effort.

Even if I had only lvl 50s wnich is not the case, it wouldn't change the fact that public games in hc are a newbtrap.

So...don't be a newb?
The OP's experience--plus the responses in this thread--is why I never play public games with my HC characters.

I'd love the mf/gf/xp boost, but it's not just worth the grief.

Edit: Sorry for your loss, OP. RIP.
05/31/2014 05:24 AMPosted by Dismayven
i absolutely love when HC players cry about their char getting killed.

[/quote]
05/31/2014 05:28 AMPosted by Apo
Do I act like I am superior??

The fact that public games on hc are unplayable is a real problem that needs to be fixed.

Right now you are the one that is acting superior because you ignore the existing problem, and instead of supporting it, giving an opinion or proposing a solution you come here to trash talk.

meh.

Public games are perfectly playable for hardcore type players. You are extending. What you are complaining about is that some people are !@#$%^-s and will use game mechanics to flood the start portal with elites. Yeah, I'd agree with that, that is pretty idiotic. But if your goal is to kill hardcore players, it is pretty clever. Alternatively, if you want to roll the dice and play public games with a hardcore character, you do so by your own free will and with the understanding that you are accepting the chances that comes with playing with the basest of annoying players.

So yeah, super annoying. It should possibly be fixed by Blizzard that elites can't be kited more than 90 yards or some such. But that would be exploited too by the people who power level others. Maybe make the initial game made zone in point and the area 30 yards surrounding it an automatic no mobs zone. I agree it's cheap tactic and should be looked at in the same way the town portal exploit needed to be fixed in D2.

/rant Once these phracking mouth breathing neanderthals read about crap like this, they think it's funny to lay traps and catch unsuspecting victims. Turn about is fair play in my book and their account should be flagged as open such that people could just take items from their inventory. Of course, that isn't possible given the game mechanics, but the idea exists that there is no in game way to get back at these asshats.
The game tells you if the player you are teleporting to is fighting an elite...
Your fault. Next time be more careful.
05/31/2014 10:08 AMPosted by chawpy
The game tells you if the player you are teleporting to is fighting an elite...
Your fault. Next time be more careful.

^this exactly. hell it even will tell you if they are fighting a goblin!
this thread made me laugh a little.

i joined a rif game one day and the runner was taking some mad damage. looked like he almost died.
im thinking... no way im porting down till that guy gets the area under control. seriously.. im not losing my character on port in.

ive been in pub games where the group was fighting like 3-4 elites at once and all of them would be taking a good bit of damage because of it. not porting down till i see its clear.