I'm a struggling WD...help/advice?

Witch Doctor
I'm not sure where else to go with my WD. My sheet says 10.3M toughness and 936k dps, although my profile says different. I've rerolled, regemmed, everything I can, yet I'm stuck at T4, and not even doing that "faceroll" when it comes to multiple CP's/Elites.

Please don't tell me "oh just go get X and you'll be fine" because my RNG is horribad. I'm not sure if it's just bad rolls on the gear I've gotten, or what. I know I need a SoJ, for sure, but that is elusive. I was trying for Zuni's but until FA is fixed, I'll pass, and I don't have any Zuni's pieces anyway.

I've actually got a better helm than the MoJ (toughness/dmg wise) but losing that 96% pet damage is not something I really want to give up.

Any constructive advice would be appreciated. Really wanting to break into T5 soon.
Quick pointers that might help.

-You may want some elemental damage focus on your gear.
-If you have Aughild's set plans, craft shoulders and bracers to get the set bonus (+damage to elites)
-ideally any bracers with crit chance and +phyiscal damage if you dont have plans yet
-3 sockets on chest please, with highest INT gems you have or can afford.
-fill up that empty socket on your pants with a gem
-Try to get crit chance close to 50%
- I'm a little confused on your skills bar choices, Rain of Toads rune would spawn fetishes quicker than either Explosive Toads or Firebats. You could switch to RoT and drop FB for something else.
You don't seem to have any elemental damage or skill bonuses on your gear. While your sheet Dps doesn't look that bad you are really missing a big chunk of damage. I would focus on buffing your fetish sycophants since you have a star metal, which means you need some physical damage%. Your bracers and amulet need this. Exploding frogs and vampire bats do not fit well with your gear or build. Use Rain of Toads instead to proc your fetish sycophants. Why isn't spirit walk on your bar? Also you should try grave injustice for one of your passive slots. You should be able to have BBV up most of the time with this passive and your startmetal kukri. Your Mask of Jeram will beat any other helm easily. Do not switch it for a "higher dps" helm.
Thank you both so much. Not sure if my profile has updated yet or not. But I'm up to almost 12M toughness and 20k short of a mil dps. I crafted an Aughild's bracer and shoulder, tried to reroll the shoulder but ran out of souls, so for now it will have to do. If you see anything else I could change, let me know. Going to try out a T4 and see how it works.
It's always nice to see players stepping in and helping their fellow Nephalem. I shelved my Witch Doctor for a little while to get some of my other heroes up to speed, and the Witch Doctor forum has done a great job of answering my questions now that I'm trying to get back into the class. You guys rock, and keep up the good work!
06/09/2014 06:28 PMPosted by Grimiku
It's always nice to see players stepping in and helping their fellow Nephalem. I shelved my Witch Doctor for a little while to get some of my other heroes up to speed, and the Witch Doctor forum has done a great job of answering my questions now that I'm trying to get back into the class. You guys rock, and keep up the good work!

Can you please go through my "Ask the Devs" request, and bring to their attention?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/13087818864
That chest isn't helping you out. Re-roll for three sockets or replace with a yellow chest. You got a bit of a stinky roll on that chest and probably should be looking to replace it. The 4-piece bonus for the Jade set doesn't do you any good with a pet build.

Loose the purple gem in your pants and replace with Topaz(s). If you die a lot, swap your Zombie Dogs for Leeching Beasts.

If you have a Serpent mojo in your stash, the snakes + Leeching Beasts would probably let you play T5 with 1 - 2 deaths per rift.
Some things you can change that aren't really reliant on RNG:
- Roll more sockets on your chest.
- Craft Aughild's bracers and shoulders for the set bonus.
- Change over to rain of toads, Spawns more fetishes.
- Drop fire bats for another skill, Spirit walk? Soul harvest?
I rerolled the chest and got 3 sockets with all Topaz. I did swap for Leeching Beasts, and I don't have a Serpent in my stash. I just ran a T5 and only had 1 death because I lagged on an orbiter and ended up in his lap. I'm surprised my profile still isn't showing my updated skills/gear.

I'm somewhere in the middle of a pet & Jade build until I can get better gear to sway me to go one way or another. Been rolling for Harrington's & T&T forever and nothing.
And thanks Grimiku, we do have a wonderful community here, WD's are the best! :D

I'm also looking for a Jade pants, but haven't had any luck with those either.
If you haven't seen that aughilds pattern drop then you shouldn't even be in T4 because you haven't even put in the time to find all crafted patterns. I wouldn't consider you stuck in T4 if you can't even craft aughilds. I'd say you are skipping up faster than normal people should. Put in time and get the gear, that's it.

You are wanting to jump up to torment levels you are not prepared for. You don't get to make a WD play him for 1 day and then go to T6, that's not how it works.

I can tell you that rare bracers and a rare belt with the correct stats is better than your legs.

Use common sense and diablo profiles to figure out the rest. Not hard to notice that every pet doctor in the world is almost using the same set up and gear with slight variations.

I may come off as a %@@@@%@@ or something but if the good players spoon feed noobs and don't let them learn the game on their own we are going to have an influx of retarded people that have no clue how to play.
You also have very low crit chance. Get that up a bit.
IPlease don't tell me "oh just go get X and you'll be fine" because my RNG is horribad.

You have a SMK and the Sunkeeper on your templar is pretty awesome too, so some may say yours is better than others :)

Your runing with ToTD, maybe switch your passive from Midnight Feast to Grave Injustice? The cd reduction will have your Spirit Walk up most of the time to help you stay out of nastiness. Maybe consider Gruesome Feast, you will pick up any orb that spawns on the screen which is a substantial bit of dps.

Gamble gloves all day to try and get a Tasker and Theo. I know they are hard to get but with the SMK and MoJ you have a really good start for a pet doctor. Other than that I personally would say try to get a Blackthorns chest, legs, and boots. You have a RoRG and the 4 set bonus is invaluable in higher torments and they drop ALL THE TIME(what the heck Blizz?). Necessary? Not at all, but i like to be able to survive the content first and then build up my damage to be efficient. in same vein of "gear to look for" Aughild's is terribly good.

Hope this helps, and happy hunting!
Hello All,

Can anybody find something wrong with my witch doctor build.
I don't mind dying during gameplay due to my "legendary shoulders" but I'm wondering if I'm on the right track.

I like to play as a ranged (pet) build wd. During engagements I sit back and use toad to speed up the fetish army and allow my minions (from helmet) to use their spells as well.

Any helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to my build

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/CampisiA-1361/hero/46934483
I run T6 with no sets except Aughilds (even though I have full Zuni and Jade in the bank) and this is the best build and gear setup I have found. Check my profile:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Ipitythefool-1660/hero/20803957

If I ever find Hexing pants, I would switch out the Blackthorn pants and boots for Hexing pants and Iceclimbers. But with my current set up, I have 30% dmg reduction from Serpent offhand, 10% dmg reduction from my dog so taking a couple of hits on T6 is not a problem. With the Stone of Jordan, Blackthorns, and Aughild set, I have 53% elite dmg, 60% physical dmg, my dog kills elites in a few seconds.

By the way, I only use Bogadile to proc my Vaxo, if you don't have a physical Vaxo, use Pyranhado.

Personally, with your gear, this would be my progression suggestion...

1. Get rid of firebats, you don't need it, just use toads to proc fetishes. Get Spirit Walk so you can escape and walk through wallers. Change your dogs to Life Link or Life Leech.
2. Get shoulder, chest and bracers of Aughilds, make sure the bracers have crit and +physical.
3. Gamble for a Serpent offhand, it's much easier to find than TnT and will make you much tankier
4. Gamble for Harrington
5. Tall Man's Finger and SoJ will drop eventually, in the mean time, gamble for TnT.

I would gamble for TnT last because they are extremely rare, you should be able to get the other items faster and will make your runs much easier.
Oh also, if you mostly play solo, use the enchantress for her CC. The dmg really doesn't matter but her CC is amazing and if you go higher than T4, the token that makes them not die is much better. Sultan of Blinding Sand and Ess of Johan are great for followers for even more CC.
06/09/2014 07:21 PMPosted by Fashizl
If you haven't seen that aughilds pattern drop then you shouldn't even be in T4 because you haven't even put in the time to find all crafted patterns. I wouldn't consider you stuck in T4 if you can't even craft aughilds. I'd say you are skipping up faster than normal people should. Put in time and get the gear, that's it.

You are wanting to jump up to torment levels you are not prepared for. You don't get to make a WD play him for 1 day and then go to T6, that's not how it works.

I can tell you that rare bracers and a rare belt with the correct stats is better than your legs.

Use common sense and diablo profiles to figure out the rest. Not hard to notice that every pet doctor in the world is almost using the same set up and gear with slight variations.

I may come off as a %@@@@%@@ or something but if the good players spoon feed noobs and don't let them learn the game on their own we are going to have an influx of retarded people that have no clue how to play.

Yes, indeed you are coming off as a jerk. Were you to bother looking at my profile, you'd see that I have 2 crafted Aughild pieces. I am nowhere near a "noob" nor am I retarded, and I take great offense at your implication that I am. I have spent hours playing this game, yet again you didn't actually look at my profile. I asked for constructive feedback, not douchery or elitism.

Now on to the HELPFUL feedback:

06/09/2014 10:41 PMPosted by Ipitythefool

1. Get rid of firebats, you don't need it, just use toads to proc fetishes. Get Spirit Walk so you can escape and walk through wallers. Change your dogs to Life Link or Life Leech.
2. Get shoulder, chest and bracers of Aughilds, make sure the bracers have crit and +physical.
3. Gamble for a Serpent offhand, it's much easier to find than TnT and will make you much tankier
4. Gamble for Harrington
5. Tall Man's Finger and SoJ will drop eventually, in the mean time, gamble for TnT.
I would gamble for TnT last because they are extremely rare, you should be able to get the other items faster and will make your runs much easier.

I got shoulder and bracers of Aughilds tonight, missing a mat to make chest. However, I did get a TnT tonight as well as a Serpent offhand. I have a Tall Man's Finger, but it's awful, and I'm trying for another one. Still working that SoJ!

I have the lege "Hand of the Prophet" focus for my Enchantress, and when I solo, it's amazing.
Tonight, I was running T5 rifts, and only died maybe once in a rift usually because I got locked in and my Spirit Walk was on cd. Other than that, I'm doing well enough in T5 now, and T4 is cake.

Thanks again to everyone who provided constructive and helpful feedback, I have solid enough grounds to build on, slowly working my way to T6!

And lastly...
06/09/2014 10:13 PMPosted by CampisiA
Hello All,

Can anybody find something wrong with my witch doctor build.

Maybe start your own thread and not hijack mine?
BD, here is my recommendation without zuni set: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WUTlPQ!VTRh!babbYb

- Gargantuan with WP rune: burst of dmg for me it is 200mil dph when crt hit, grave injustice passive and some CDR can make u cast almost every 20 sec

- Fetish army: fire rune is tested to apply fire dmg to all fetish u summon from the active spell (not passive fetish), which u can stack some fire dmg on it

- Piranhas: if u dont have other decent mojo (like thing of the deep), u can switch it to zombie dogs. (strongly recommend to use this spell with Strongman!!)

Most important: u don't have a Tasker & Theo (theoretically increase ur pet dmg by 40-50%).You can basically get rid of ur Jade Harvester set cuz they give no advantage but 500 int - try replace with Auguild chest + Shoulder; switch bracer to strong man, best companion ever with piranhas; waist to Harrinton or Goldwrap, which provide great burst of dmg and toughness respectively and u can switch them according to map (both easy to obtain). Best pants for pet WD is Mr. Yan's Hexing Pants which basically boost ur dmg for 25% (but drop rate is quite a pain), but u can try Captain Crimson's set anyway for CDR.

Anyway, zuni is currently the best choice for me, never really tested BD for SMK without zuni. Add me if u like, we can farm together for gear sharing, I got every pieces for Zuni and JH and tons of keystones. Really gear sharing is the best way to get a complete set.
Creeping death -> pierce the veil. You want to buff your pets as much as possible with the build you're running. I would also consider zombie handler -> midnight feast.

Humongoid -> wrathful protector and switch locusts -> piranhas (either piranhado or wave of mutilation).

See how you go from there, gear is rng but you can at least fiddle with your skills to improve your playing experience.
IMO Aughilds is the most important set on any character, it's a must! The other for mage types is Blackthorns for immunity and elite damage. That's just my opinions.

I do have a question on setup though. Doing t6 runs in pub games I notice other wds just tear through elites and was wondering if my setup is wrong. I don't know if my pets are helping them do that well or if they are just that powerful. I also notice most are using physical stacks (maybe 1 or 2 pieces of gear) and have high profile damage which are close to 1mil. They all user tasker and was wondering if that is making such a big difference.

My dps with fire stack and soj is around 1.8 mil vs elites and 1.2 vs anything else. Is the fire stack doing anything or damage is just too slow compared to physical profile damage?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Kavorka-1903/hero/20649739

Thanks for the help guys
I have two witch Dr.s, one for pets, the other for dot's. For your pet build I would drop Pestilence and creeping death. Piranha's add a 15% increased damage taken to anything hit. Zombie piranha's jump all over the place not just in the little pool you drop on the ground. Frozen Piranha's have a super slow on them if there's another witch doctor in your party, I prefer either one of those instead of piranhado.

Pierce the veil is another 20% damage increase and really you don't have a mana spender if you are running pets so the increased mana cost isn't an issue. Midnight feast is really awesome as well. Also restless giant or Wrathful protector would be better choice for your garg over Humongoid, the cleave just isn't that good (yes i tried it, wasn't impressed). Yes Wrathful Protector is fire damage rune but man it hits like a truck when the AI doesn't just have him standing there looking pretty.

Start stacking physical damage as much as you can as well. Makes a huge difference in your pets damage, you have one of the best daggers in the game and your helm is optimal for pets.

If you look at my profile, yes my Pet Witch doctor isn't fully geared but I play hardcore and am still in the process of rebuilding her after a nasty death, so try not to bash me too hard.

edit: one more thing, attack speed is golden for pet witch doctors, directly affects your pets damage so it's a good thing.