A Word of Advice to the Woh Whiners

Wizard
This weapon is overrated. Don't get me wrong. It is a good weapon but it is not the only way nor the most efficient way to T6. Stop putting it on a pedestal because you are only setting yourself up to be disappointed.

Also, a (not so quick) metaphor because it is late and because I am a combination of drunk and tired:

The wand of woh is like that really cute girl in your class that every single guy wants to date. You know exactly who I'm talking about. You think about her in biology class, you think about her during lunch, you think about her on your drive home and you simply just can't get her out of your head. You become obsessed and you think that this girl would make your life so much better, so much happier. Your very existence becomes centered around trying to get this girl to realize that you like her, even maybe to like you back. You find out what interests her and what kind of things she likes to do with her free time and you picture yourself with her doing these things. You go for weeks, maybe even months with her at the center of your life and mind until one day you finally succeed.

You get the girl.

She realizes that you are just as amazing as you think she is. She takes an interest in your hobbies and your interests and tries to do them with you. She starts to think about you, call you, talk to you, and spend time with you every day. She grows to like you, adore you, and eventually love you, but she never grows on you.

Her hair, her eyes, her lips were not as pretty as you had though. Her laugh not as cute and her touch not as warm. Her interests don't interest you at all and her hobbies bore you. Her personality and disposition are not as unique or inviting as you had imagined. Her presence does not bring you the happiness that you foresaw.

Instead, you feel empty.

You realize that this girl, the real girl, could never meet your lofty expectations nor fill the hole that you had carved out. She could never be the dream that you envisioned nor the warmth that you had so eagerly sought and for this, you start to hate her. Her only crime was to fail to meet the standards that you had so childishly set; a crime so petty that you start to realize that it was your doing all along.

tl;dr: Stop obsessing about the Wand of Woh. It can never be as awesome as you make it out to be.

Edit: Some grammatical errors. Wow, still can't believe I wrote all this out. I'm gonna go pass out now.
I've been using a fire Woh build for a while now, and it simply sucks compared to other classes end game builds.
I like my WoH.

I'm hitting 8-10M on trash. Up to 15m on elites.

I could be hitting harder, but my options are limited.

My assessment of WoH so far is that it's not nearly as good as people made it out to be.

I'm still glad I got one, but it's somewhat of a letdown.

I also think some of the forum commentators here are full of poop when the list their damage and not tell us they also use UW (LOL).

WoH @T6 and standing still all the time or most of the time? Yea, right.

There's a lack of honesty in a lot of the WoH build discussion threads.
And yet I still want that girl!
Still confused about why people would even want the WoH, it is very similar to the Carpal Tunnel you get from CM Wiz, no thanks I like my wrist....
06/07/2014 10:36 AMPosted by Xeo
I've been using a fire Woh build for a while now, and it simply sucks compared to other classes end game builds.

this men, its fun for a while. but other then that it really dont do anything beside apply buff(black hole) for a t6 group.
damn dude, forget the Woh argument, I think you just summed up the crux my biggest relationship failures...

Very insightful... Good to read if you've ever gotten that girl and watched the honey moon phase transform into your worst nightmare.
Yea... Lucky guys gets cute gals and they treat them like !@#$ and tell other people that they don't worth the time...That's real world, nothing new.
Now I just have a hard time getting "her", that's where the focus at.

How m I going to "baby" her?
That's not really the concern right now.
AMPosted by Xeo

this men, its fun for a while. but other then that it really dont do anything beside apply buff(black hole) for a t6 group.

It does much more then party buff most people just dont know how to play it or cant find gear to go with it, this gf is very sewwt indeed and it melts t6. Heres 2 videos 1 standard mobs the second one some act 5 mobs.
No unity here btw.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10831934131?page=1#5
I'm not saying it's bad. Woh is definitely a good item but it's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overrated on this forum it makes me sick. People talk as if this item is the only way to easier higher torment levels. And the play style is super mega boring. If you think Woh will bring back the CM melee play style fun, you are wrong.
Damn. People actually read this. Lol what?
i got a Woh drop last night with 2300+ dps, so outta excitement i spent like 40m adjusting all my gears to fire dmg

i stayed up whole night playing and testing, it disappointed me..

the fact u have to run up to every single enemy's face to deal dmg just sucks rly bad, it increased my chance of dying drastically, and slow things down for me especially in group play where things are often spread out and i ran around like a fool while spamming the key, PA doesnt even help that much at all.. used cold snap, blk hole and even tried with safe passage but still dying left and right

i kill much much faster with my archon and tal rasha build and i don't even use PA with it
OP your metaphor was a bit creepy... but does anyone have the info on the following?

-average time between leg drops ( T1-T6)
-wand droprates
-Woh droprate

I am interested in making a gaussian distribution for the probability of finding Woh as a function of time played, just curious to see what the mean and standard deviation is. If someone has that info than I'll post the gaussian distribution so we can all get comfy with the fact that we will never see it drop unless you are super lucky.
That is why when you get the girl, add some spice to improve the experience! Tal+Woh , Archon +Woh, MM +Woh? There are several combinations for different play styles. Why stop there when Woh drops? Not unless you like just the same bland red explosions every time.
I have to admit, my wizard play time decreased significantly upon looting a Wand of Woh.

I think it was because that's really the only piece left for me to throw onto my wizard, other than some other potential min/max items that can come from anywhere. That's really all that's left to do, thus I started gearing up all my alt characters instead to make the most out of my playing time.
06/07/2014 09:22 PMPosted by MrDoe
OP your metaphor was a bit creepy... but does anyone have the info on the following?

-average time between leg drops ( T1-T6)
-wand droprates
-Woh droprate

I am interested in making a gaussian distribution for the probability of finding Woh as a function of time played, just curious to see what the mean and standard deviation is. If someone has that info than I'll post the gaussian distribution so we can all get comfy with the fact that we will never see it drop unless you are super lucky.

Lol I had a few drinks when I wrote this. However I stand by it because it's supposed to be a life lesson and a very necessary one. Plenty of people have been through that situation whether it's exactly like my metaphor or not. It's all about putting way too high expectations on something and being terribly disappointed when you realized that it can't possibly meet them.
I've been playing a Woh build for a while on T4 / T5. On T6 I'm still having survival problems - but that could have to do with the fact I'm at rather low paragon levels.

The wand is definitely over-hyped. The wand and explosive blast, when coupled with another simultaneous attack - does good damage. However, it has its costs:

• Because you're forced to attack in melee range, you'll absolutely need a ton of damage mitigation and 10M+ toughness for the higher torments. For me this means stuff like String of Ears, Eye of Etlich, Aughild's are essential. But putting these items on means I have sacrificed some damage (e.g. I could have put on a Fire Andariel's for another 20% fire instead).
  • Because you're in melee range, and the fire spells you cast don't do CC - you'll absolutely need some CC spells. For me it means spamming Black Holes with Mirror Images. That's two spell slots I could have otherwise used for more damage output (e.g. Familiar).
  • The explosive blast / black hole spam means you can't see !@#$ near you. If there's a bunch of elite affixes put in your blind zone and you misplaced your black holes s.t. those weren't absorbed... and it's T6... you're dead.
I agree, the Wand of Woh is a huge disappointment. At higher torments, it's very difficult to achieve T6 viability with a woh and it's damage is (in my opinion) worse than a pure archon spec (AT or mm-conflag). Note I have tested the wand a lot in T6 groups and solo with the gear I have accessible to me, so this is purely my opinion.

For an example of a viable T6 wand of woh wizard, you can check out my 'LootTest' wizard. I based it off of (I believe Vishnu's) mirror image-wand of woh build (cannot find original post). With this spec, and 50%+ cdr (should not be hard to achieve), you keep mobs basically perma crowd-controlled with frostnova and your duplicates constantly casting BH-event horrizon. This has been the only way I've found to survive in T6 solo, without a unity (group survival is much easier). There are times that my wand of woh wizard becomes more effective than a AT-archon wizard in T6. Two examples come to mind: 1) There is no zdps monk and an effective wand of woh wizard is arguably the second best crowd control option available 2) There are two jade docs (sometimes one really good one) and my wizard's dps does not matter as two jade-docs soul harvesting will do more than enough to kill any T6 elite in seconds. Where my wizard shines here is helping the jade-docs harvest more easily due to the great crowd control provided. Outside of these situations, my archon wizard is better.

The issue is that dps-wise it's not as high and versatile (always have to be face-tanking) as an archon spec. The reason why this is such a huge con is because as a wizard, your dps (most importantly burst-dps) is all that matters in T6 rifting group. An archon spec simply offers higher burst damage to the group. I don't have optimal gear, but I don't see it making a huge difference as my AT-archon spec is not optimized either.

My advice to people hoping to get the wand of woh:
- most important; don't buy 1h weapons, 15 shards for a 1h is a rip-off and you're better off spending those shards on 5-shard items (armour)
- get the vyre set as outside of the wand of woh, having a vyre set is really the only way to go about doing T6 on a wizard effectively

One thing I would like to point out is that all of the above is purely from a efficiency standpoint. I am not ashamed to admit that I definitely enjoy hopping on my wand of woh wizard just for a change of pace. It's certainly fun to play (especially with the build I'm running) and still effective in groups due to the high utility it offers and OK dps.

I this lengthy post has helped people with the wand of woh about build decisions and lowered the anxiousness of people without it. :)
Agree with JT1 wholeheartedly. If I were to survive in T6, adding Frost Nova in place of Magic Weapon, and try to perms-cc mobs would be the way to go. However - that means even less DPS for me. I'm not surprised it can be made to work that way, but it's just not fun.