Why remove crafting mats?

General Discussion
Your just taking more out of the game blizz...first you got rid of the whites required to craft and now this. This is why other action rpgs and mmo's are going to do better in the end. Stop dumbing down your games and make them more complex.
OK, let's make the drop rate of legendary craft mats 1% on T6 and 0% on other level.
That's just awesome.
They added no depth to gameplay.
06/11/2014 02:11 PMPosted by Deso

The heck they didn't. I didn't complain about the whites not mattering anymore but this is a step to far. You are crafting the best gear in the game it should take extra time and effort to hunt down monsters that dropped the mats.
It comes down to inventory space. People where complaining that crafting mats took too much space. Now they had planned on making them like a money inventory type thing. Like blood shards are being handled.

My best guess is the process became more troublesome then it was worth so removing the crafting mat made more sense developer resource wise than creating a separate inventory system just for mats. The process also freed up space for many players with out a lot of work. Now many who will still complain there is not enough space, but it gives the players more space with out changing any other aspect of the game.

They may still be working on some other form of an inventory solution because if you are someone that plays every class and like to collect all the slots. you still have to use multiple mules to stow gear away for the different sets and builds.
06/11/2014 02:26 PMPosted by Suedomsa
The heck they didn't. I didn't complain about the whites not mattering anymore but this is a step to far. You are crafting the best gear in the game it should take extra time and effort to hunt down monsters that dropped the mats.

This is where the philosophy difference is at... It's meant to be one of the first steps for your character's progression rather than crafting the best gear in the game. While some of the crafted items are good, the focus of your gearing is now on class set pieces, specific legendaries and other non-crafted items to take your character to the next level.

Sure, I could take a fresh 70 and craft up a set of gear easily to probably do torment II or III, but after that, I'm still going to rely on class sets or unique legendary affixes to really take me past that.

The problem with the previous crafting material design is that it didn't fit in the concept of entry level gear from a accessibility standpoint. It ended up being a "you need gear to get gear" type thing and by the time you have that level of gear, the crafted gear is generally not your best option.
06/11/2014 02:36 PMPosted by Jane
My best guess is the process became more troublesome then it was worth so removing the crafting mat made more sense developer resource wise than creating a separate inventory system just for mats. The process also freed up space for many players with out a lot of work. Now many who will still complain there is not enough space, but it gives the players more space with out changing any other aspect of the game.

TL;DR

Too lazy. Just removed it.
cuz u aren't supposed to create/recreate game x 100 times for razormouth bounty to pop up
06/11/2014 02:51 PMPosted by Kingki
cuz u aren't supposed to create/recreate game x 100 times for razormouth bounty to pop up

Why recreate? Just wait till the next time around.
06/11/2014 02:53 PMPosted by Suedomsa

In a game where efficiency is the best way to play... Yeh sure.

It's why they were removed though, constantly recreating games is pretty taxing on the game servers
Apparently it's to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Time spent (programming) on converting it to currency which was coming to a later patch and stop the load on servers from players creating new games to hunt for bounties with specific mobs that drops the mats.
I like the idea of targeted farming, but it's implementation with adventure mode was pretty meh.
06/11/2014 03:06 PMPosted by Dookienukem
Apparently it's to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Time spent (programming) on converting it to currency which was coming to a later patch and stop the load on servers from players creating new games to hunt for bounties with specific mobs that drops the mats.

This isn't 2 birds one stone. They don't even need to code the currency now if they just completely take it out of the system.
06/11/2014 03:11 PMPosted by OhHellzNo
I like the idea of targeted farming, but it's implementation with adventure mode was pretty meh.

Well the monster could drop the item instead. Even tough it's craft-able.
The drop rate was to low and just annoying to do if they raised the drop to the same as blue or yellow
it would be ok but having to be in t6 almost to get a drop maid it worthless to do

best gear in the game? @*%%#!!## is this trolling...The best gear in the game cannot be crafted. Sig shoulders/bracers are clear cut winners in crafting. Maybe reapers wraps also but bracers require a ton of arcane dust to craft so you cant just spam craft those.

That being said; no, those 3 items are far from BiS. They are awesome to use yes, but far from BiS.

excatly, you are supposed to start x 100 rifts, killing only the guardian, spending x 10 000 shards on Kadala, and x 1000 souls on the mystic to get your items.

that's much better I guess.

Seriously. What happend With the idea to get items from kills? Good items I mean. Not gamgling them from a vendor and modifying it with a mystic. You spend more time in town then killing monsters ...
06/11/2014 02:53 PMPosted by Suedomsa

What do you mean just wait till the next time around? If you're farming a rare drop, you can't wait until the next time around in the current game because there is no next time around. You have to quit and recreate.

Farming battlefield of eternity for whites didn't add depth to the game. It wasn't fun, or exciting, it was tedious. I still ignored every white that wasn't a piece that I was looking to craft, and I didnt pick them up unless I was going to be crafting something.

Farming legendary mats actually had a negative impact on the game performance, as everyone was constantly resetting games looking for rare spawns. It was slowing down when a person would make a dozen new games every minute farming a specific bounty.

Also, crafted gear is not best gear in the game. It was intended to be a stepping stone, if anything, it is supposed to be the lower end legs to fill spaces until you get the good stuff. It's the reason why they removed the need for them, because everyone is managing to farm up high end set pieces and rare legs before they can craft the mediocre gear meant to be placeholders.