Loot Tables Confirmed - Live on Theorycraft Stream

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 10 Next
06/12/2014 06:09 PMPosted by Nevalistis
06/12/2014 03:31 PMPosted by Anomalous
Also on stream, Travis Day then remarked "Hey, that's not supposed to be there anymore...I had to look through 38 tables before the patch."

This was taken extremely out of context.

The Legendary crafting materials functioned differently than other items, because they were from specific creatures. Those specific creatures had allocations (or loot tables) for those items, and that's what was needed to be investigated to remove them.

In this case "loot tables" refer to the difference between the items a Treasure Goblin has a tendency to drop versus a common enemy versus an Elite or Rare mob. That's what Travis was referring to - not to the popular (and incorrect) theory that items are seeded by things like player name or shoe size or game creation at midnight versus 10 AM. Those things have no bearing on the items you are able to find.

None of this is new information. Grimiku referenced [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12877967791#19"]a similar situation[/url] in regards to Crafting recipes less than a month ago.

If we read between the lines here like so:

That's what Travis was referring to - not to the popular (and incorrect) theory that items are seeded by things like player name or shoe size or game creation at midnight versus 10 AM.

That's what Travis was referring to... that items are seeded by... shoe size.

We can see that it is in fact your shoe size that determines the items that drop in game, as confirmed by Blizzard. You might say this quote was "taken extremely... [in] context."
06/12/2014 06:31 PMPosted by Polaris
We can see that it is in fact your shoe size that determines the items that drop in game, as confirmed by Blizzard.

Have size 8 shoe, will party.
06/12/2014 06:41 PMPosted by Lylirra
We can see that it is in fact your shoe size that determines the items that drop in game, as confirmed by Blizzard.

Nerf footwear!
06/12/2014 06:26 PMPosted by Themisto
I find 2 thing really funny here. First, OP is clearly trolling or real dumb. And he apparently deserved a blue response.

Second, Nevalistis didn't deny exactly the theory I believe in, of loot tables dependant on simply game session.

Or else, RNG in this game is simply broken. How com I get 2 of the same leg bracer out of a singl cache? on torment, where the loot table is vastly bigger.

There is no reason to create a loot table based on game session. The percentage drop rate is much easier to manipulate than creating separate loot tables for every game. Admittedly either option would be easy to manage as they could have a number of canned loot tables players get assigned to, but I don't see any reason they'd do that. It wouldn't affect a player's long term chance for a drop but it would make it much easier to exploit.

It's possible there's a flaw in how they generate random numbers that leads to some streaks, but I highly doubt even that. I'm pretty sure the best developers in the business can come up with a pretty good random number generator.
If there are no shoe sizes then I mean loot tables then is there some bug in the game causing other class set items to drop on my character when running completely solo .

The loot system seems really buggy or people's brains are totally making patterns out of the randomness and causing this.
06/12/2014 06:49 PMPosted by Grailer
If there are no shoe sizes then I mean loot tables then is there some bug in the game causing other class set items to drop on my character when running completely solo .

The loot system seems really buggy or people's brains are totally making patterns out of the randomness and causing this.

I am pretty convince that there are bugs regarding loots but the scenario you mention is by design. Smart loot only apply to 85% of the loots thus you have 15% chance to receive items that are not for your character even in solo.
06/12/2014 06:26 PMPosted by Themisto
I find 2 thing really funny here. First, OP is clearly trolling or real dumb. And he apparently deserved a blue response.

Second, Nevalistis didn't deny exactly the theory I believe in, of loot tables dependant on simply game session.

Or else, RNG in this game is simply broken. How com I get 2 of the same leg bracer out of a singl cache? on torment, where the loot table is vastly bigger.

the cache has to roll the particular item first, then roll it as legendary. so it's not like you open a cache and the game goes "okay here's an overwhelming desire". it's more like the game goes "okay here's an amulet, now let's roll to see if it's magic...nope, so lets roll to see if it's rare...nope, so lets roll to see if it's set...nope, so lets roll to see if it's legendary..yup!" then, because caches obviously have a higher chance to drop the cache only items(and don't try to tell me they don't, i have not had ONE, not ONE non-cache only drop from caches. not a single one. so there's NO way the drop chance isn't weighted highly towards them) it rolls as sanguinary bracers.

for you this process just happened twice in one cache. it's highly unlikely, but it can happen. and think about the amount of drops generated constantly all day long. statistically unlikely things are bound to happen.

so i really don't get what's so shocking about this drop you described and why it means blizzard is fixing drops in some way...

i find it so strange how blues and developers keep flat out saying over and over DROPS ARE RANDOM AND NOT FIXED and people just...ignore it or dismiss it. i mean are there any other games out there where a developer goes "this is the way it is" and the community is just like "nope, you're wrong".

pretty sure they'd know...
06/12/2014 06:52 PMPosted by Tagle
06/12/2014 06:49 PMPosted by Grailer

I am pretty convince that there are bugs regarding loots but the scenario you mention is by design. Smart loot only apply to 85% of the loots thus you have 15% chance to receive items that are not for your character even in solo.

Ok thanks that makes total sense of what is going on then. I actually thought it was because I had grouped with another class or swapped to another class character .

Now I know it is intended not bug :)
06/12/2014 06:09 PMPosted by Nevalistis
or shoe size

Was my theory ...
Does this mean there are only 38 games created at once?

Or...only 38 characters playing?

I'm confused :(
i'm glad Adverturer's Journals are still dropping though... they're worth 50K each :-)
Ahhh excellent...I post something and it spirals in all sorts of directions at the whim of community interpretations.
A Blue responded, so hey...Achievement Unlocked!

Also, shoe size theory confirmed.

The Legendary crafting materials functioned differently than other items, because they were from specific creatures. Those specific creatures had allocations (or loot tables) for those items, and that's what was needed to be investigated to remove them.

In this case "loot tables" refer to the difference between the items a Treasure Goblin has a tendency to drop versus a common enemy versus an Elite or Rare mob. That's what Travis was referring to - not to the popular (and incorrect) theory that items are seeded by things like player name or shoe size or game creation at midnight versus 10 AM. Those things have no bearing on the items you are able to find.

None of this is new information. Grimiku referenced a similar situation in regards to Crafting recipes less than a month ago.

Except it's not the seeded loot people are talking about here but rather the weighted loot tables that have yet to be commented on. Care to change that?
06/12/2014 08:26 PMPosted by Spite

None of this is new information. Grimiku referenced a similar situation in regards to Crafting recipes less than a month ago.

Except it's not the seeded loot people are talking about here but rather the weighted loot tables that have yet to be commented on. Care to change that?

The loot tables are weighted. Everyone has known that since before release. You are more likely to get white bracers than you are a kridershot..
I'd expect them to have global loot tables to list all the dropped loot. Not sure if that means local game loot tables as people have been speculating about lately, though.

This is ridiculous...

However i'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet.
06/12/2014 06:19 PMPosted by Dathremar
06/12/2014 03:31 PMPosted by Anomalous
Also on stream, Travis Day then remarked "Hey, that's not supposed to be there anymore...I had to look through 38 tables before the patch."

Conspiracy theories aside, sometimes its so hard to shake off the feeling of the existence of a "loot table" when the exact same item (of course with different stats) drop for 3 of the party members from a single rift.

Well you have to consider that with millions of players playing and tens of millions of monsters slain you will see hundreds if not thousands of outlier cases cropping up. It will happen and those rare moments when it happens to you. This is due to the nature of the pseudo rng generator since it is cyclic in nature.

Are there loot tables, sure there are all kinds of loot tables. Loot tables that are for breakables, chests and monsters. It may even go as far as each and every mob type would have it's own loot table. We even know there are weighted loot tables.

But the conspiracy theories like rotational loot tables, loot tables based on game creation or account, based on character name, etc... do not exist period. That would be too much work for Blizz and would not be able to do better than a weighted loot table could do on it's own. In fact if there were any conspiracy tables they would compete with a weighted loot table or be real easy to prove.

I will use only one example of this and that is the rotational loot table. The only way you could have a rotational loot table along with a weighted loot table is to have a static rotational loot table. But I could use Occam's Razor to disprove it by simply finding out if everyone playing on the same day and time as the one reporting got the same exact items at the same time. When you see players playing the same time and day as the one reporting getting different items then you know it cannot be rotational loot tables.

Heck in another thread where the OP said he knows what legendary items you are getting. He was saying that you are getting a lot of rings. But at that time I was getting a lot of legendary weapons. I guess that blows the conspiracy loot tables all to hell.

Best blue post I've ever seen.
06/12/2014 05:19 PMPosted by HBEEZY
Holy !@#$ we've been finding adventurer's journals since the day the hotfix for legendary materials came out and the devs are JUST NOW finding out about it?

I find it even worse how long it took them to realize that Kadala is bugged. It was one of the first things I noticed on RoS that she actually is just telling you the same 2 or 3 crap variations over and over again no matter what items you get :D
if you believe all these non rng theories./ then you must be able to predict it. if you cannot get like 10 skm/wand of woh in 10 hours, your theories ability to manipulate drops = stupid