A Question about Greater Rifts.

General Discussion
When we begin them, are their starting difficulty dependent on the difficulty we currently are in in-game, e.g. normal, T1, T6? Or do they have the same constant starting difficulty? Would like to have an answer on this.
The difficulty inside a Greater Rift is completely independent of the difficulty your game is currently on. In other words, a level one Greater Rift will always be the same difficulty regardless of if you started it on Torment I or Torment VI.

Bear in mind that you might not need to play through every level of a Greater Rift as you gear up and complete them more quickly. The more quickly you complete a Greater Rift level, the larger a chance you'll have to "jump up" additional levels (and potentially multiple levels if your time is exceptionally fast). Of course, we're still tuning this system, so please be sure to hop on the PTR (once it's available) and let us know what you think!
06/23/2014 08:34 AMPosted by Nevalistis
The difficulty inside a Greater Rift is completely independent of the difficulty your game is currently on. In other words, a level one Greater Rift will always be the same difficulty regardless of if you started it on Torment I or Torment VI.

Bear in mind that you might not need to play through every level of a Greater Rift as you gear up and complete them more quickly. The more quickly you complete a Greater Rift level, the larger a chance you'll have to "jump up" additional levels (and potentially multiple levels if your time is exceptionally fast). Of course, we're still tuning this system, so please be sure to hop on the PTR (once it's available) and let us know what you think!

what is the max/highest level in a greater rift u can reach?
can we plz get ptr today ty ill be the first to give u guys all the feedback u need
chances of ptr tomorrow?

50/50?
Are there any details about legendary gems and greater rifts yet? How do you acquire them, how do you level them, how many times can you level them, what do they do, can you choose what they do? Any clarification would be fantastic! Thanks!
This sounds hazardous to Hardcore characters. It would be awful if you manage to get into a high level greater rift only for them to slaughter you.
im working for a third party web hosting service and i can say that the ptr will hit this thursday, have fun on it ;)
I'm just worried about hardcore. Do I get to find out the hard way if I can handle the level or not?
06/23/2014 08:47 AMPosted by einherier
im working for a third party web hosting service and i can say that the ptr will hit this thursday, have fun on it ;)

proof?
06/23/2014 08:57 AMPosted by Google337
06/23/2014 08:47 AMPosted by einherier

proof?

I'm not offering proof for him, but I believe that PTRs usually go up on Thursdays, not Tuesdays.

Also, Lylirra mentioned that they were trying to get the PTR up by the end of the month (June), and since this Thursday is the last Thursday in June, it is likely when they will have the PTR up.

He could be trolling or telling the truth, but either way, he could be right.

I will defiantly hoop into the testing server in test things out but a couple of things to note:

1- We defiantly need an indicator of difficulty. HC characters can not afford spike damage surprises. Even on SC, I would like to know what I am going up against.

2- I am not sure why do we need a gating system. If I already rolled T6, why do I need to fight mobs on T1 or even worse, normal? Why does not the difficulty start off from the game difficulty level I opened? That is a waste of a couple of minutes for no reason what so ever. If I know that I can stream mobs on T1-T5, I do not have to proof it every single time.

3- The link between "speed" and difficulty is not always a direct link. For example, for DH, fastest way to clear anything normal through T1 is using Danette set. T2-T4/5 using pure CA build. T6 sentries. I can assure you that Danette's build is terribly weak on T6, while it is the fastest killing speed on normal through T1. So, where is the correlation between "speed" and "difficulty?" Also, this means I will have to keep adjusting the gear and skills every time I progress up to roughly T6 difficulty. Not exactly interesting mechanic.
The preview states that your skills will be locked once you enter a greater rift so there will be no changing skills on the fly. Plan accordingly and decide on how you are going to tackle the greater rift ahead of time. Strategic planning.
06/23/2014 10:02 AMPosted by tamshiwen
The preview states that your skills will be locked once you enter a greater rift so there will be no changing skills on the fly. Plan accordingly and decide on how you are going to tackle the greater rift ahead of time. Strategic planning.

Where is that in the patch preview?

I just read through it, and it does not mention anything about locking in skills.

Take my strafehunter alt through level 1...get slingshotted to a much higher difficulty, die.

That idea actually amuses me some, probably because he's an alt that I have just set up for fun.

Well, unless the starting difficulty is more equivalent to T1 than Normal. In that case he'll probably progress (or not) as is appropriate.

Though, yeah, like Otto I'm a little concerned about a build like my main's. I do run T6 some (bounties, mostly, decent exp solo - though for rifts I generally stick to 5 - I am not claiming to "farm" T6), and a Sentry build is great for that. That setup is, well, a little less good for T1.
You're right, not in the ptr notes. Not sure where I got that from. Carry on.

Well wont it end that player completes rift 1st time around, gets bumped to lvl12 rift and then starts to bash his head against the wall cause hes always miisng that 3-4 seconds to advance to lvl 13?
Terrible idea imo.

Another thing, you are mentioning rift levels, so there will be 1 rift and we will be playing it over and over again, just monster density changes to match up rising difficulty? You cant exacly compare time in rift thats Fields of Misery and Western Channel for example. Sounds boring and more repetitive than anything we have now.
06/23/2014 08:43 AMPosted by Jazyj29
chances of ptr tomorrow?

50/50?

I'd say more like 25%.

They always include the caveat about making sure something is ready before deployment. They had intended to get the PTR up in June, but how often has Blizzard been known to make a deadline?

It's certainly possible. Things seems kind of quiet at the end of last week and through the weekend. They could be ramping up for the PTR release, but usually you'd hear rumblings, and see datamining and evidence of servers being up and such.

It could drop tomorrow, but I'd bet July 1st or 8th being more likely.
The chances of the public test realm opening tomorrow is a 1/7 chance. This is about a 14% chance that it will open tomorrow. They said it will open this month. That means it will open in 1 of the 7 days left. They won't reveal when the PTR will open until it is out. I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until the last day of the month or possibly extend it into next month while they get it ready for the PTR. It will come out when it is ready to come out and not a moment sooner.
The more quickly you complete a Greater Rift level, the larger a chance you'll have to "jump up" additional levels (and potentially multiple levels if your time is exceptionally fast).

is the "jump up" mandatory or we will be offered a choice? If yes, hardcore players will be placed in a dangerous position where the sudden spike of difficulty might kill us.
The more quickly you complete a Greater Rift level, the larger a chance you'll have to "jump up" additional levels

My question is - pretty sure it's been said that all (most) rewards in greater rifts have been refocused to the rift guardians... that said, wouldnt skipping "easier" ones be counterproductive? If no loot drops except from them, why would i WANT to skip any?

Or does no loot drop.... at all?