The Cesspools?

General Discussion
What are they exactly? Very little information is given on them other than they will be randomly generated in rifts and not to be too "Greedy". Other than being a new environment area known as the sewers of westmarch is there anything else these things will offer other than a scenery change?

Will there be new monsters in them or a special boss or special items from these areas? I'm really curious about this addition to the game.
It was stated that it was a level developed for RoS Act V but never made the cut
They are just using this level now so that they didn't waste development resources...

There will be nothing special about the Cesspools other than another unique environment for Rifts
Speaking of wastes of developmental resources...

There are a few areas in the game that look really nice, but are terribly short. Maybe they could roll those over into rift levels so that we can see more of them. Leoric's manor for one. I'd love to see more of that. I've also noticed some rift only tiles in otherwise familiar tilesets. more of those would be welcome.

Hopefully there will be something interesting and unique to the cesspools, but hopefully it won't be as rare as the bovine level.
06/23/2014 09:29 AMPosted by JadeHand
Speaking of wastes of developmental resources...

There are a few areas in the game that look really nice, but are terribly short. Maybe they could roll those over into rift levels so that we can see more of them. Leoric's manor for one. I'd love to see more of that. I've also noticed some rift only tiles in otherwise familiar tilesets. more of those would be welcome.

Hopefully there will be something interesting and unique to the cesspools, but hopefully it won't be as rare as the bovine level.

Leoric's manor from when you enter to when you go to the Halls of Agony is essentially a one-tile level, and there is nothing really similar in the rest of the game. Some of the Westmarch interior tilesets are a little similar, but generally not as "clean" seeing as Westmarch is under siege by Urzael.

I for one would love to explore the rest of Leoric's Manor or have an interior tileset introduced based on Leoric's Manor.

I would be like a haunted mansion or castle, with long hallways and lots of rooms behind closed doors, and large dining rooms and ballrooms.

It would be cool to explore the grounds and be able to enter and exit the mansion/castle as one zone without splitting up the interior and exterior.

Their could be stables, maybe some farmland, servants quarters, a carriage house, etc.
06/23/2014 08:44 AMPosted by OneButtnDash
What are they exactly?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/3354739/
06/23/2014 11:05 AMPosted by Glox
06/23/2014 08:44 AMPosted by OneButtnDash
What are they exactly?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/3354739/

Whatever u were trying to link, u linked wrong. All it does is bring me to the general forums. If you were trying to link the 2.1 preview, I already saw it and if you read what I wrote besides what you quoted then I have already said they gave us very little information minus a brief description. We have no details if there is anything to them other than an environment that didn't make release date. What I'm hoping for is that there is more to them than just a new scenery area.
06/23/2014 11:30 AMPosted by OneButtnDash
What I'm hoping for is that there is more to them than just a new scenery area.

Those are high hopes.

I wouldn't count on more than just a new tileset for rifts.

That said, it does not mean that Blizz is not planning other things for rifts and Greater Rifts.

We will have to wait for the PTR to be sure.
The Cesspools are an additional environment that will begin spawning exclusively in Nephalem Rifts (including Greater Rifts). They aren't a new zone, however, so there aren't new monsters or bosses associated specifically with them. That would also run somewhat counterintuitive to one of the qualities of Nephalem Rifts in that they are always randomized. It'd be a bit odd to introduce a new environment to Rifts and then have them produce static results.

Adding the Cesspools in was an opportunity for us to toss in a sort of "bonus" for Patch 2.1, as well as feature the awesome artwork and animations that didn't make it into the launch version of Reaper of Souls that our environment team worked on.

06/23/2014 11:40 AMPosted by Martymizzle
That said, it does not mean that Blizz is not planning other things for rifts and Greater Rifts.

We shall certainly see! Let us know what you think of this new environment, and if you'd like to see more, once you get a chance to explore them on the PTR. We certainly want to sate your Greed for new content. ;)
Nice! Can't wait to play on the new tiles. I hope they aren't super annoying like realm of the banished and pandemonium fortress maps. It would have been a shame to waste the artists' hard work, so thanks for including them in the patch
06/23/2014 04:20 PMPosted by Nevalistis
The Cesspools are an additional environment that will begin spawning exclusively in Nephalem Rifts (including Greater Rifts). They aren't a new zone, however, so there aren't new monsters or bosses associated specifically with them. That would also run somewhat counterintuitive to one of the qualities of Nephalem Rifts in that they are always randomized. It'd be a bit odd to introduce a new environment to Rifts and then have them produce static results.

Adding the Cesspools in was an opportunity for us to toss in a sort of "bonus" for Patch 2.1, as well as feature the awesome artwork and animations that didn't make it into the launch version of Reaper of Souls that our environment team worked on.

06/23/2014 11:40 AMPosted by Martymizzle

We shall certainly see! Let us know what you think of this new environment, and if you'd like to see more, once you get a chance to explore them on the PTR. We certainly want to sate your Greed for new content. ;)

I see that slyly capitalized G in "Greed." Maybe we'll finally get those treasure goblin rooms we were promised in RoS...

Let us know what you think of this new environment, and if you'd like to see more, once you get a chance to explore them on the PTR. We certainly want to sate your Greed for new content. ;)

Even if this is all you do to keep the game fresh it will mean a lot. New areas, especially if they use new map arrangements, will go far. I've been saying since launch that I want to see the randomization of gameplay reach new heights, so adding more dice to the roll is always good.
06/23/2014 04:36 PMPosted by yermommy
Maybe we'll finally get those treasure goblin rooms we were promised in RoS...

1. we already got them.
2. I'm ok on crafting mats, so put that development time elsewhere. Please.
06/23/2014 04:25 PMPosted by Vekkul
Is there any chance The Cesspools might be added to the Adventure Mode map

Because you don't understand this...

The Cesspools are an additional environment that will begin spawning exclusively in Nephalem Rifts (including Greater Rifts). They aren't a new zone, however, so there aren't new monsters or bosses associated specifically with them.
Why do I have a feeling these Cesspools will be filled with tons of goblins.......;-)
Greed
hmm
and if you'd like to see more

Really Nevalistis? Really...? xD
I too would love to see smaller levels based on unused areas, i.e. Leorics castle. Also what about a rift level with respawning waves in the Mass Grave outside the Cathedral? Could come in all different colors/lighting motifs with waves of elite packs that each spawn with 20-30 skeletons/archers/zombies etc that crawl out of the ground. Once 10 waves of elite packs are defeated, the portal appears.