List of newbie questions.

General Discussion
Hey everyone, I'm relatively new to this game, and I had a list of questions. Rather than make a thread for each I'll just ask them all here, and I'd greatly appreciate any veteran players helping a newbie out with these doubts. Lets begin.

1: Increasing the difficulty increases gold and exp, but what about drop rates for items? is it more likely to obtain legendaries in Expert/Master/whatever, than it would in Normal?

2: What's the lowest level a weapon can get a socket? I'm talking about craftable weapons I tried to obtain a socketed crossbow on a lvl 20 demon hunter and despite crafting about 50 of them, not one of them had sockets.

3: What's the more time-efficient way to obtain gold? Soloing rifts in Torment? or going at it with a friend?

4: I'm missing a few conversations needed for the achievements in act V. Namely, I missed the coversation with the Templar called "Future with Eireena" and the conversation with Tyrael called "Sliver of the Stone" and one with Shen called "The Search". What did I do wrong? was I supposed to talk to them at a very specific spot?

5: Related to the previous point, I also am missing two key pieces of conversation with Shen that I don't know how to properly trigger, "The Stranger" in act 1, and "The Desert Heat" in act 2.

6: This one is related to the new Seasons coming up in the patch, if I participate on them, all my learned recipes (the ones you get randomly as drops) are gone too?

7: I see this option on the only character I've completed the campaign with, called "Reset Quests". What sort of bonuses are given for completely deleting all my progress on the campaign?

That's all I can think of at the moment. Thanks for your time.
You might get a better reception by posting from your D3 account.
1. Drop rates are static across the board difficulty wise. The one exception being that rifts having 2x the drop rate than other game modes.

2. Not sure on level vs socket for weapons.

3. I believe partying with friends will increase gold/magic find. I found playing a lower level T6 game with gold find gear was pretty efficient, but I'm sure others on here have better methods.

4. Not sure, but I believe that specific timing in story mode is required. I missed out on a lot of leah's journal entries in Act 1 because I wasn't reading it after every checkpoint and quest.

5. Same as 4, not sure of the requirements to see those.

6. Yes, nothing will carry over into Seasons. However, those recipes will remain in campaign/adventure mode for your original character.

7. You get a guaranteed legendary from Maltheal after resetting quests and playing through the story. Beyond that I don't think there is much of a benefit.

Hopefully others can chime in with the answers that I don't know. As far as logging in under your D3 account to post, I usually only rag on people about that when they are being negative or sound like they are trolling. I just assume they are trying to hide something when they do that.
06/26/2014 12:01 PMPosted by Mech1
You might get a better reception by posting from your D3 account.

I dunno how.

Thank you lupo for your answers.

1: Increasing the difficulty increases gold and exp, but what about drop rates for items? is it more likely to obtain legendaries in Expert/Master/whatever, than it would in Normal?

Yes, although actually numbers have never been given. Ideally you should play at whatever level you can kill white mobs in a couple hits and elites in less than 10 seconds... Lvl 70 Class specific set items only drop in Torment 1, so ideally that's the lowest level you should look to play in unless your farming rift keys in normal public games.

2: What's the lowest level a weapon can get a socket? I'm talking about craftable weapons I tried to obtain a socketed crossbow on a lvl 20 demon hunter and despite crafting about 50 of them, not one of them had sockets.

I believe blue weapons drop with a socket somewhere around 8-12.... but it's been quite a while so don't quote me.

3: What's the more time-efficient way to obtain gold? Soloing rifts in Torment? or going at it with a friend?

Probably RiFing (Rift it Foward communities where you only join games to kill a Rift Guardian). The bonus gold is substantial. After that, running Rifts as fast as possible- but there really isn't much of an accelerated way of earning gold. Friends with increase drops, but mobs have more HP so it's a time vs. reward calculation you'd have to figure out. Really though, you shouldn't worry about trying to farm gold, it just trickles in based on time played.

4: I'm missing a few conversations needed for the achievements in act V. Namely, I missed the coversation with the Templar called "Future with Eireena" and the conversation with Tyrael called "Sliver of the Stone" and one with Shen called "The Search". What did I do wrong? was I supposed to talk to them at a very specific spot?

5: Related to the previous point, I also am missing two key pieces of conversation with Shen that I don't know how to properly trigger, "The Stranger" in act 1, and "The Desert Heat" in act 2.

Can't help you with this one. Google?

6: This one is related to the new Seasons coming up in the patch, if I participate on them, all my learned recipes (the ones you get randomly as drops) are gone too?

Believe so

7: I see this option on the only character I've completed the campaign with, called "Reset Quests". What sort of bonuses are given for completely deleting all my progress on the campaign?

Should get a guaranteed legendary off every end Act Boss (Butcher, Belial, Azmodon, Diablo, Math) although it's a waste of time compared to running rifts given the time invested.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Thanks for your time.
06/26/2014 01:07 PMPosted by Grovel
I believe blue weapons drop with a socket somewhere around 8-12.... but it's been quite a while so don't quote me.

i think it was this a while ago, but as far as i know they upped the level in 2.0. i usually get them in the lvl 22 crafted rares.
1. Increased difficulty increases xp, gold find, and magic find. However your efficiency in each difficulty will determine the likelihood of getting legendaries. For example you might be able to clear a higher difficulty for a 10% increase in MF but if it takes you 20% longer to kill stuff you probably arent as likely to get legendaries. The biggest issue is they dont tell us how much MF increases so you really dont know. Best bet is to do a difficulty you can clear efficiently.

2. It has been a long time since I leveled a new character but I believe those that said around the low 20s are right.

3. The most efficient way to earn gold is to do as high a difficulty as possible with as much gold find on your gear as possible. The bonus from your gear and the difficulty bonus is multiplicative so this goes against the theory to do the most efficient difficulty. You dont have to be as efficient because the bonus modifiers should be much higher.

4. Google it and you should be able to find where to get each achieve.

5. See 4

6. Yes. Seasons is like starting on a new server. Nothing you currently have carries over to the season characters.

7. Resetting the quests makes you start the campaign all over again with a guaranteed legendary for each end act boss up to level 60. Once you pass level 60 the only legendary guaranteed is from killing Mal.
Gonna chime in here as well. *Apologies if there are any redundancies, I see that Lupo, Grovel and the Duck already offered some solid info.

06/26/2014 11:33 AMPosted by Derah

Legendary item drop rates don’t actually change until Torment I, and some Legendary items (sometimes referred to as “Torment-only Legendaries”) will not drop until at least that difficulty is selected. Beyond that, the chance for Legendary items to drop will increase exponentially with each subsequent Torment level.

The lowest level that a weapon will roll with a socket is 15.

Speaking personally, if you’re looking to stock up on gold, you might consider temporarily spending Paragon points on Gold Find, hunting down some Legendary items like Goldskin or Gladiator’s Gauntlets, or even rerolling some stats on your existing gear (if you’re at a point where you can afford it, of course). Not only do Gold Find bonuses on items stack multiplicatively with the bonuses provided by difficulty, but there’s also no cap on the amount of Gold Find you can get from items and Paragon points.

As far as what’s most efficient, it’s really up to you. Playing in a group can be really rewarding since the “Playing With Friends” bonus also provides a scaling bonus to Gold Find, and that bonus stacks multiplicatively with the Gold Find bonuses provided by difficulty. If you can swing it, party up with 3 other people and run on the highest difficulty you can muster. But, if the game’s more fun running solo, or if you feel like you’re more efficient on your own, then that’s probably what’s best for you.

Multiplayer bonuses: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/gameplay/playing-with-friends#multiplayer-bonuses

Difficulty bonuses: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/gameplay/game-difficulty#pc

Gold Find changes in Patch 2.0.5: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/14138344#general

Your best bet is to talk to each character each time you complete a sub-objective in Campaign mode. I’d also encourage you to look online for related guides. There are many resources out there that can help you along the way. Here are just two examples:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10218271757

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12427732810

Learned recipes will migrate over to your non-Seasonal artisans once the Season concludes.

Additionally, gold, Paragon experience, blood shards, shared stash items, unlocked tabs, and artisan levels will also eventually merge with your account’s non-Seasonal profile.

There are several benefits for electing to choose the “Reset Quests” option.

• For accounts which have not been upgraded to Reaper of Souls, Legendaries are guaranteed to drop again from the Act bosses for characters 1-59.
  • Additionally, you will receive a guaranteed Legendary drop from Diablo (if you don’t have the expansion), or a guaranteed Legendary from Malthael (if you do have the expansion).
  • Lastly, you’ll earn full experience and rewards from quests. For clarity, whenever you use "Reset Quest," not only does your quest progression reset, but the gold and EXP rewards also reset. This will give you the opportunity to earn those higher "first time quest complete" reward values again.

Some additional information:
  • In order to be eligible to use Reset Quest, your character needs to have completed every single quest and quest objective in the current campaign.
  • Moreover, once you've used Reset Quest, you will not be able to use the feature again until your character has re-completed every single quest and quest objective in the campaign. (It should also be noted that the UI will now highlight which quests have not yet been completed.)

I hope this information helps you! May the demons tremble in your shadow, and the loot goblins rise up to meet you!
06/26/2014 06:25 PMPosted by Araxom

Learned recipes will migrate over to your non-Seasonal artisans once the Season concludes.

Additionally, gold, Paragon experience, blood shards, shared stash items, unlocked tabs, and artisan levels will also eventually merge with your account’s non-Seasonal profile.

Interesting take on that question. I read it more as if I join the season does my season character lose all the stuff my non-season character has. And then you could link the whole thing about having to redo all your artisans and stash tabs and stuff.

Also interesting you mention merging at seasons end but your list of things that merge doesnt include characters or items in your characters bags while you do mention shared stash specifically. Are the characters just deleted (maybe immortalized like dead HC guys?) or did you just forget them in your list of things that merge back into non-season?
I am also interested in what duck here is asking. Will your character from a season be brought back over to normal mode after the season is over? This would be a great form of encouragement to get people to participate so I think it's a great idea!
O_O a blue response!!!!!!!!

Thank you very much for your time, it was very VERY informative to learn all of this. While the responses of everyone were very useful, there were a few discrepancies, or points were not everyone agreed upon.

Its very nice to have official confirmation of what is and isn't.

Super excited about the Seasons now, and after this clarification regarding crafting, I am definitely going to participate on them

So many questions....
I have to sleep on them. What great luck I was just about to hit the sack.
Speaking personally, if you’re looking to stock up on gold, you might consider temporarily spending Paragon points on Gold Find, hunting down some Legendary items like Goldskin or Gladiator’s Gauntlets, or even rerolling some stats on your existing gear (if you’re at a point where you can afford it, of course). Not only do Gold Find bonuses on items stack multiplicatively with the bonuses provided by difficulty, but there’s also no cap on the amount of Gold Find you can get from items and Paragon points.

Scumbag public t3-4 rifts with ferrets on a dh (With Glad+Paragon in gold)

Or WD also works with the 20 yard mojo.
hunting down some Legendary items like Goldskin or Gladiator’s Gauntlets,

interesting how you phrase this statement. Its almost as if you're inferring that you can actually seek out specific items by completing some task, which we all know is completely not the case and the obtaining of any item is a complete crap shoot based mostly on luck. Regardless of the fact that the game basically throws these two items at you until you can't hardly stand it anymore, you're comment comes off as misleading in how the loot system works.
06/26/2014 09:01 PMPosted by Vourak
hunting down some Legendary items like Goldskin or Gladiator’s Gauntlets,

interesting how you phrase this statement. Its almost as if you're inferring that you can actually seek out specific items by completing some task, which we all know is completely not the case and the obtaining of any item is a complete crap shoot based mostly on luck. Regardless of the fact that the game basically throws these two items at you until you can't hardly stand it anymore, you're comment comes off as misleading in how the loot system works.

Don't be a douche when we finally get a blue that doesn't troll us. I've found multiple copies of both of those items over and over since RoS launch. Besides have you seen how much gold drops in Greed's Domain? Really there are better things to be crying about.
Gonna chime in here as well. *Apologies if there are any redundancies, I see that Lupo, Grovel and the Duck already offered some solid info.

Legendary item drop rates don’t actually change until Torment I, and some Legendary items (sometimes referred to as “Torment-only Legendaries”) will not drop until at least that difficulty is selected. Beyond that, the chance for Legendary items to drop will increase exponentially with each subsequent Torment level.

The lowest level that a weapon will roll with a socket is 15.

Speaking personally, if you’re looking to stock up on gold, you might consider temporarily spending Paragon points on Gold Find, hunting down some Legendary items like http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/goldskin" class="bml-link-url2">Goldskin</a> or http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/gladiator-gauntlets" class="bml-link-url2">Gladiator’s Gauntlets</a>, or even rerolling some stats on your existing gear (if you’re at a point where you can afford it, of course). Not only do Gold Find bonuses on items stack multiplicatively with the bonuses provided by difficulty, but there’s also no cap on the amount of Gold Find you can get from items and Paragon points.

As far as what’s most efficient, it’s really up to you. Playing in a group can be really rewarding, since the “Playing With Friends” bonus also provides a scaling bonus to Gold Find, and that bonus stacks multiplicatively with the Gold Find bonuses provided by difficulty. If you can swing up, party up with 3 other people and run on the highest difficulty can muster. But, if the game’s more fun running solo, or if you feel like you’re more efficient on your own, then that’s probably what’s best for you.

Multiplayer bonuses: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/gameplay/playing-with-friends#multiplayer-bonuses

Difficulty bonuses: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/gameplay/game-difficulty#pc

Gold Find changes in Patch 2.0.5: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/14138344#general

Your best bet is to talk to each character each time you complete a sub-objective in Campaign mode. I’d also encourage you to look online for related guides. There are many resources out there that can help you along the way. Here are just two examples:

<a href="http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10218271757

<a href="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12427732810

There are several benefits for electing to choose the “Reset Quests” option.

• For accounts which have not been upgraded to Reaper of Souls, Legendaries are guaranteed to drop again from the Act bosses for characters 1-59.
  • Additionally, you will receive a guaranteed Legendary drop from Diablo (if you don’t have the expansion), or a guaranteed Legendary from Malthael (if you do have the expansion).
  • Lastly, you’ll earn full experience and rewards from quests. For clarity, whenever you use "Reset Quest," not only does your quest progression reset, but the gold and EXP rewards also reset. This will give you the opportunity to earn those higher "first time quest complete" reward values again.

Some additional information:
  • In order to be eligible to use Reset Quest, your character needs to have completed every single quest and quest objective in the current campaign.
  • Moreover, once you've used Reset Quest, you will not be able to use the feature again until your character has re-completed every single quest and quest objective in the campaign. (It should also be noted that the UI will now highlight which quests have not yet been completed.)

I hope this information helps you! May the demons tremble in your shadow, and the loot goblins rise up to meet you!

Araxom you are one of my favorite blues! Please keep posting!
Araxom is the bomb. He even drops in on MMO-C once in a while to solve some player account issues.

<ML waves hello>
Always there with the encouragement Thorgrim :D
The weapon socket level is 15, any weapon 15 or over can have a socket and is a possible re-roll for one with the mystic

I am sorry but no...
I have done so many T6 runs, fast, efficient. and guess what? t1 still drops better.