Question About Console Support

Console Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 14 Next
Okay, one thing that I think we are seeing here with people is the fundamental difference between "support" and "new content". These two terms are being equated in some people's minds I think. Blizzard did "support" their console title by releasing a patch that fixed many problems with the stability of the game. Patches were then deployed for the PC version in order to prepare for the removal of the auction house and the expansion. These patches were not needed for the console version due to there being no auction house and all of the pre-expansion content being included with the UEE.

Here is my take on Blizzard's business model for these different versions of their game:
(once again, only my opinion)

PC game: slowly release new content to keep people playing and interested in the game until an expansion is released. As I've stated, this is the only reason to release new content as this is NOT a subscription-funded MMO.

Console game: release expansions via new "editions" of the game that contain most of the content that the PC game has seen since the last expansion.

As for up to what patch is included for the console versions at launch? There has to be a cut off point somewhere. With a constantly evolving PC game like Diablo III, there is always going to be something better coming down the pipe, you've gotta draw the line somewhere.

I do think that the fundamental architecture of the game is much more well-established now, and the content patches on the PC probably won't be as drastic or game-changing. Therefore, we could see some of them make their way to the console before they start ramping up for the next expansion. At which point there probably won't be much on the console again until the next "edition" is released.

Just my two cents...
As a beacon of light in the darkness:

The datamined info for the 2.1 PTR patch on www.diablofans.com contains some hints at a potential console version.

1.) The datamined new graphics contain the icons for the new UEE console specific gear (listed under promo).
2.) The folowing datamined strings were found:
* Unique_Ring_Promo_01_x1 - Signet Ring of the Blizzard
* Unique_Shoulder_Promo_01_x1 - Infernal Pauldrons
* X1_Boots_norm_promo_03 - Footfalls of the Forbidden Lands
* X1_chestArmor_norm_promo_03 - Heart of the Titans
* X1_Gloves_norm_promo_03 - Grips of Perilous Ascent
* X1_Helm_norm_promo_03 - Guardian Facade
* X1_pants_norm_promo_03 - Legs of the Sealed Valley
* X1_PromoTransmogPlan_03 - Guardian Facade
* X1_shoulderPads_norm_promo_03 - Burdens of the Brave Survivor
* X1_ConsoleMaps - Use {icon:l1, 2.5} or {icon:r1, 2.5} to cycle between the Local, Act, and Sanctuary map.
* X1_ConsoleMaps_title - Maps
3.) Already announced console specific features had strings datamined:
* X1_MailBox - Send and receive mail at mailboxes.
* X1_MailBox_title - Mailbox
* X1_ApprenticeMode - You have joined a game with a higher level character. Your stats have been boosted for the duration of your session.
* X1_ApprenticeMode_title - Apprentice Mode

Based on my software development experience (I'm the lead technical QA for my project), I would doubt that Blizzard merged in the UEE launch branch into 2.1 unless they were adding code from that branch (IE... adding apprentice, or the mailbox). As far as we know SO FAR with the PTR, they are not giving PC players the mailbox or apprentice mode.

Granted, I wouldn't be surprised if both were added to PC. Mailbox to clanmates/friendslist within 1-2 hours (would bring back some spammers though).... and i don't really see a reason why they wouldn't bring apprenticemode to PC.
Actually, during a E3 interview, Diablo Game Director Josh Mosqueira stated that Blizzard will probably port the some of the console specific features of the Ultimate Evil Edition to PC in the future, so it could just be that.
Sure hope it's a sign for a console 2.1 patch though.
Very well thought out. I just hope you are wrong about the console version to a degree.

I really want to see at least infrequent patching. Not "let's just release an expansion in a year and hope everyone still buys the game".

I just don't see how they rationally think this will fly.
Not a single person in my online or local community want that sort of thing to happen.
The majority of us want at least some patch support.

I've read several topics with comments here and there stating they will drop the game completely if they neglect console in the way you think they will.

I know you are trying not to be biased here. I wont pretend not to be, but I know that I'm not alone.
Thanks for your comments on my topic regardless, we will all continue hoping you are terribly,
terribly wrong.
We'll see haha. So many unannounced promo items anyway.

Perhaps they're related to that "account linking" thingy...
Also, if any of you are familiar with awesomenauts, I imagine they will be updating similarly.
The pc version is currently months ahead of the console version, however a bulk patch is coming to catch console up early july.

At least that is what I am hopeful for, and I'd call you a liar if you told me you weren't hoping for patching support on console.

Edit: I'm sure I may be coming off as a bit redundant at this point. But I'm pretty passionate about diablo games. I played diablo 2 for a very long time, and while I'm not considering myself a purist, mostly because of my love for console(namely ps4).. I really want to see the game thrive on console... It was extremely enjoyable to play on ps3 in general terms of speaking. I just loved playing Diablo with a controller on the big screen, and having the option to couch play with my friends and wife!
06/30/2014 02:51 PMPosted by TozziFan
We'll see haha. So many unannounced promo items anyway.

Perhaps they're related to that "account linking" thingy...

I don't know if they are unannounced... they could possibly be the transmog stuff for the Sony version; However, i'm somewhat worried that they might be giving a Titanfall shout out for Xbox. I say worried, because I (as an anti-fanboy) want the XboxOne to fail miserably.
06/30/2014 02:57 PMPosted by Branch77x7
Also, if any of you are familiar with awesomenauts, I imagine they will be updating similarly.
The pc version is currently months ahead of the console version, however a bulk patch is coming to catch console up early july.

At least that is what I am hopeful for, and I'd call you a liar if you told me you weren't hoping for patching support on console.

Edit: I'm sure I may be coming off as a bit redundant at this point. But I'm pretty passionate about diablo games. I played diablo 2 for a very long time, and while I'm not considering myself a purist, mostly because of my love for console(namely ps4).. I really want to see the game thrive on console... It was extremely enjoyable to play on ps3 in general terms of speaking. I just loved playing Diablo with a controller on the big screen, and having the option to couch play with my friends and wife!

If blizzard created their own patcher (like Warframe, Final Fantasy XIV, etc) they could push console patches whenever they wanted.

But you can thank the 360/XB1 for preventing this.... yet another reason that I am disappointed that Blizzard sold out and made the Microsoft version.
Wasn't the transmog stuff for console, the old Digital Deluxe Edition stuff from PC?

ps: are you guys telling me Awesomenauts Assemble will come to PC?
06/30/2014 03:04 PMPosted by TozziFan
Wasn't the transmog stuff for console, the old Digital Deluxe Edition stuff from PC?

No. The transmog stuff for Sony is Shadow of the Colossus themed.

And AA was originally on PC. It was ported to PS4 after the fact (thank a Kickstarter for that).
06/30/2014 03:06 PMPosted by Sabvre

No. The transmog stuff for Sony is Shadow of the Colossus themed.

And AA was originally on PC. It was ported to PS4 after the fact (thank a Kickstarter for that).

Yeah i know about SOTC but the DDE content is part of the Infernal Pauldrons promotion, according to a post by Grimiku. However these in the datamining are not their names. It's something completely unrelated.
Welcome to the topic Sabvre. Thank you for bringing more content. It would be very cool if console got their own servers.

Kickstarter anyone? :P

The pc version has been out for quite some time, ps4 got an up to date-ish version, and the PC has substantially left them in the dirt.

Console will likely continually be behind PC, but they have stated they will continue to do the best they can to keep it close.

If blizzard can't at least do something this indie game is doing for UEE that's kinda sad.
Awesomenauts is showing us this sort of support is possible... I hope blizzard shows us the same
kindness Awesomenauts has shown console enthusiasts.
06/30/2014 03:14 PMPosted by Branch77x7

The pc version has been out for quite some time, ps4 got an up to date-ish version, and the PC has substantially left them in the dirt.

Console will likely continually be behind PC, but they have stated they will continue to do the best they can to keep it close.

If blizzard can't at least do something this indie game is doing for UEE that's kinda sad.
Awesomenauts is showing us this sort of support is possible... I hope blizzard shows us the same
kindness Awesomenauts has shown console enthusiasts.

Seriously, blame Xbox. If Blizzard hadn't signed with Microsoft, they could have had the freedom to do more.

No cross platform play.... blame xbox.

No self launcher... blame Xbox.
Self launcher?
wesley mccarley
@Branch77x7

@Grimiku I read on the FAQ UEE is being released with patch 2.0.4. Is this still true? If so, many = disappoint over no leg. gems. :( - 30 Jun

Grimiku
@Grimiku

@Branch77x7 UEE will def not have leg gems to start, but we'll have to see about later. I hope we get news to share about it soon!
We're still working out all the details regarding if and how Ultimate Evil Edition will be supported post-launch (e.g. will we patch the game after it ships? if yes, should we only patch to fix bugs and address critical game issues, or should we patch in new content as well? at what frequency should we patch?), so we don’t have an answer for you right now. That said, I can confirm that UEE will ship on all platforms with all updates included up to patch 2.0.5, and that there will likely be a “Day 1” patch to add in patch 2.0.6 content, too.

As we move closer to ship and finalize our post-launch patching plans, we’ll be sure to keep you updated. Great question, though!
07/01/2014 11:49 AMPosted by Grimiku
We're still working out all the details regarding if and how Ultimate Evil Edition will be supported post-launch (e.g. will we patch the game after it ships? if yes, should we only patch to fix bugs and address critical game issues, or should we patch in new content as well? at what frequency should we patch?), so we don’t have an answer for you right now. That said, I can confirm that UEE will ship on all platforms with all updates included up to patch 2.0.5, and that there will likely be a “Day 1” patch to add in patch 2.0.6 content, too.

As we move closer to ship and finalize our post-launch patching plans, we’ll be sure to keep you updated. Great question, though!

Thanks for the update.
I really hope you decide to support the console version with the new content from the pc version!
Thank you for that Grimiku. I still want clarity ASAP on post launch patch support. I also want to testify to the majority of the console community's strong desire for said support.
07/01/2014 11:49 AMPosted by Grimiku

That's GREAT news. At least we'll get most of the leg set updates. Really hoping for mostly 2.1 stuff. Having an opportunity to get that HF amulet, some updated skills/legs, and new greater rifts. Not sure how that will work on a console, but I'm pretty sure it could.