Archery or Steady Aim?

Demon Hunter
Recently managed to my M6 from kadala - not ideal but I'll make do with it for now :)

Hope to get a advice/opinions from the pro DHs out here.

1) Realised alot of people are using 2H Crossbow instead of 1H and asked around. They mentioned to me that Sentry damages is not the big dps number on the weapon, but rather the damage range below the BIG dps number - is that correct?
As such, a 2H xbow will provide me with a higher damage range despite a lower BIG dps number, which will increase the damage of my sentries.

2) I am currently using Nat slayer at the moment for the 250 dex and 7% CC
a) Should I go for Archery or Steady Aim?
b) I rerolled the damage on my Nats. Will getting fire damage be buffed by my increase in elemental dmg from my reapers, cinder and amulet?
c) Should I eventually go for a 2H xbow despite a substantial reduction in paper dps?

Still hunting for my rucksack, but any other opinions/advices are greatly welcomed!

Thanks!
07/04/2014 11:18 PMPosted by WudiHuan

c) Should I eventually go for a 2H xbow despite a substantial reduction in paper dps?

Yes.
b) I rerolled the damage on my Nats. Will getting fire damage be buffed by my increase in elemental dmg from my reapers, cinder and amulet?

The element damage type on weapons does not matter at all. The only time elemental damage on a weapon matters is if it gives you +% element damage (ie. Burning Axe of Sankis or Azurewrath). Not even sure why they left it in the game.
Both answers are correct above this post.

Read the threads about breakpoints, 1.46 or 1.75 are what you'll reach without Taskers using a 2h crossbow. For group play Calamity is best with 2.16 or the 2.84 BP.

Inspect players also by looking at profiles and gear / skills choices. I use both archery and steady aim with spitfire turrets and ballistics and ambush - kills VERY fast in T6.
If you're only going to be using one DPS passive besides custom engineering, it should be ambush IMO.

Ambush will never give less than 1.077x more DPS in solo. which alone makes it almost always better than archery. But it's far more valuable vs trash mobs.
U have enough CHC from nat's
Steady aim is better for u, but u have to make sure to play in range.
Also, yes, 2 handed crossbow is much better for M6 in patch 2.0.6
Thanks all! Managed to get a demon machine with decent damage - lost paper dps of close to 200k dps but got cdr on my ring now..

Decided to switch custom engineering to archery since most mobs died a while after I plant the 4th sentry. I'm just curious what's the impact of ballistics - is it really worth a slot in passive?
I'll probably do ambush in solo play, group wise I tend to go for steady aim instead.
07/05/2014 08:58 AMPosted by Rukan
Ambush

Ambush for trash, SoJ for E's...
07/07/2014 06:39 PMPosted by WudiHuan
I'm just curious what's the impact of ballistics - is it really worth a slot in passive?

If you're using Shooting Stars CAs or MS-Arsenal or using spitfire turrets = YES!

It's very much worth it.
Personally, I like to roll with Steady Aim, but (as the others have stated) a case could just as easily be made for Archery.
07/10/2014 06:32 PMPosted by Araxom
Personally, I like to roll with Steady Aim, but (as the others have stated) a case could just as easily be made for Archery.

Especially when you take into account the fact that the pets make it a whole lot easier to keep mobs out of the tiny Steady Aim area. I would definitely say Steady Aim is the superior of the two, it gets even better in groups when you have even more meat shields.
sentry's work like pets they are based off ur wep base damage so using 2hnders ussually results ina higher base wep damage on a 2nd note the only item that effects pets attack speed is taskers having any attack speed on gear is doing u absolutely nothing keep that in mind if u have dex attack speed cc and chd on a glvoes i.e u basically only have a affix roll cuz ur attack speed isnt doing anything for u so i would suggest losing any attack speed u have on gear also
07/10/2014 06:32 PMPosted by Araxom

Nice to see a blue tag on the DH forums - makes us confident our thoughts are reaching the influential ears : - )
Hopefully you got your answer already, but just as a note, both Archery and Steady Aim will have their effects factored into your sheet DPS, so if you're only considering between those two, you can just look at your Damage to see which one would be stronger for you.
You got some great advice on your questions, I would like to add:
Since your profile shows your chd is 268, not reflecting paragon I know, you probably will need archery passive and reset your parapoints and put most into chd.
Steady aim, archery, ballistics-rockets and ambush are the damage dealers along with Single out, very under utilized by most, in many situations, rift bosses, RG, in 2.1. Add in Marked for Death-contangion some as well, for +%20% damage to mark targets and it spreads to others in the area too. Perfectionist loses +10% health in 2.1 and the change to awareness make those choices personal in survivability. Crafting an Arcane Barb may be a better choice for a higher damage bow-2600+ base weapon damage.
Grats on the rucksack!!
What I'm saying is get the highest chd that you can, 2 hder's cause the problem with chd not being high.
In 2.1 the changes to the way sentries work, AS does become even more important, Taskers, AS, both effect the sentry fire rates, so be ready to change gear up some to reach a really fast sentry fire rate.
25-30% CDR makes sentries ready to cast much faster as well.
07/05/2014 04:20 AMPosted by WR47H

The element damage type on weapons does not matter at all. The only time elemental damage on a weapon matters is if it gives you +% element damage (ie. Burning Axe of Sankis or Azurewrath). Not even sure why they left it in the game.

The elemental damage from the weapon will proc certain effects, although wizards are the main beneficiaries with the Elemental Exposure passive and the set bonus for Tal Rasha's.
First, drop the Nats and keep crafting Arcane barbs until you are able to re-roll one with a nice damage range, dex, 10% dmg, and a socket. You are probably not going to get a better weapon any time soon unless you get really lucky or dont mind sacrifice some dps for something like a Channon Bolter/hellrack/etc. Pull out a calamity (if you get one) and pair it with a rucksack though for groups.

Next, I love steady aim. Personally, with M4 or M6, I think its practically a must. Play in a group and it's even nicer. Pair it with ambush and you have wicked openers. Open up your stats while you play for a bit and watch how easy it is to keep that distance the vast majority of the time.
Recently managed to my M6 from kadala - not ideal but I'll make do with it for now :)

Hope to get a advice/opinions from the pro DHs out here.

1) Realised alot of people are using 2H Crossbow instead of 1H and asked around. They mentioned to me that Sentry damages is not the big dps number on the weapon, but rather the damage range below the BIG dps number - is that correct?
As such, a 2H xbow will provide me with a higher damage range despite a lower BIG dps number, which will increase the damage of my sentries.

Still hunting for my rucksack, but any other opinions/advices are greatly welcomed!

Thanks!

I have tested soooo many options and can tell you;
-2 Hand x-bow > hand bow until you get a good calamity.
-Run both steady aim and archery
- if http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/WudiHuan-1662/hero/2019705 is your hero in question, drop either perfectionist or awareness (only use 1 defence passive) and pick up ballistics, the changes made to dex keep you alive longer but the usefulness of ballistics is far to good to pass up! (better than stead aim for a fire build)
-drop punishment for a main skill (I like HA) but any 6 gen is good) the amount if extra DPS you can do while waiting for sentry to CD is far greater than using punishment, unless you like the AFK run like a chicken until sentry ready play style..
-
07/11/2014 06:13 AMPosted by Shaiandra
Hopefully you got your answer already, but just as a note, both Archery and Steady Aim will have their effects factored into your sheet DPS, so if you're only considering between those two, you can just look at your Damage to see which one would be stronger for you.

This is not a good measurement as Steady Aim at 20% increase will always outdo Archer regardless of weapon type. It really basically comes down to how well the OP maintains distance between the mobs and himself.

Thanks!

2a. Ideally both, take Archery, SA, Ballistics, and one of the two defensive passives
2b. No, the elemental type on the weapon damage is not affected by +dmg to x elemental skills
2c. Yes, but just for now. In 2.1 your attack speed does factor into how fast sentries fire. Until then since attack speed of sentries are bugged and fire at the same speed whether you use a 1h xbow, 2h bow, or 2h xbow, 2h xbow is your best bet. Ideally you want high dmg roll, +% dmg roll, dex, and socket on 2h xbow.