My Hope For What 2.1 Patch Will Accomplish

Monk
Before I say it, please let me describe my experience with Diablo III.

I am a solo Monk player. I am put in 1-2 hours a day. I guess that makes me casual?

What I love about Diablo III is finding and tweaking builds that I enjoy playing and so I can advance in difficulty.

After ROS release, I eventually got my self back to T1. I got stuck farming in T2. I had little luck with finding good legendaries.

I stopped playing even with the drop rate boost because I simply got tired of making little progress from spending a lot of time.

What brought me back was a coworker who introduced me to zdps and Rimeheart build. I read up on it, and made a variation that worked for me as a solo player without all the require legendary cause I didn't have all of them.

My new and current build allowed me to farm T3 sufficiently fast and I find the build enjoyable enough. But it relies on maximizing CDR, EP, and spamming LTK to kill for the EP damage. It also relies on Desert Shroud and Inner Sanc, so I don't get destroyed defensively.

So here is my hope:

I hope 2.1 allow Monk player to create a viable build that doesn't rely on maximizing CDR. And that build would be viable for T3-6.

CDR is like OWE, it requires a lot of investment, and skills to build up. I would say even more than OWE. It enable players to spam a lot of skills and thus opening up options, but I really hope that will not be an requirement for viable builds.

After I started playing again, I slowing accumulate enough legendary for a high dps lighting monk build for T3-4, and 5 I hope. But I get destroyed defensively. I really really hope 2.1 will allow me to make my new lighting build viable.
07/20/2014 06:37 PMPosted by Nameless
I hope 2.1 allow Monk player to create a viable build that doesn't rely on maximizing CDR. And that build would be viable for T3-6.

Currently there are builds that don't rely on CDR at all but can still do T5-6 fairly efficiently. It does require decent gear.

But I agree, that CDR should only stay as an option not a mandatory stat to chase after. On current PTR, CDR is too important to lose :(

At least Druin won this battle, hehe :)
If you are a dedicated OWE-geared monk, you are going to lose a lot of toughness when OWE makes way for Harmony.

CDR should have been a stat for casters.

IAS should have been a stat favoured by melee.

But of course, knowing how competent Blizzard is, everyone needs to stack CDR or gtfo. So much for build diversity.
07/20/2014 06:43 PMPosted by Neuron
Currently there are builds that don't rely on CDR at all but can still do T5-6 fairly efficiently. It does require decent gear.

Oh. What build are you referring to?
07/20/2014 08:09 PMPosted by Nameless
Oh. What build are you referring to?

I wrote a post using Wukong Set and rely on weapon procs to run T6 a while ago.

In addition to that, stormbreaker is not CDR heavy at live server, although it will be somewhat CDR dependent in 2.1 if the current PTR goes live.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/13140914248

In addition to that, a regular lightning cookie variant can also do T6.
Not possible. Not with my collection of gear.

I have
1 Wukong piece (Amulet)
2 Raiment (Glove and shoulder)
2 Inna (Armor & Pants)

I only found TF just two days ago. But no Odyn nor SoH.

What's lightning cookie variant?
Neuron probably refers to variants of lightning "cookie cutters" which is basicaly a term to describe standard lightning builds used by everyone.
We'd need more skill runes or legendaries that removed cooldowns and add a spirit cost for that to happen. If Epiphany drained 20 spirit/sec but lasted forever... Serenity cost 100 spirit... DS cost 50'spirit... Etc.
Monks certainly hope for the best, I started a thread to propose some small ideas I thought were interesting to consider (having in mind what monks are supposed to feel like), feel free to drop by and let me know what you think:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/13483358267?page=1#1
I have 5 monks, but only 1 monk, Mata, is built by CDR. The rest of monks can play T4 to T6 without CDR.
07/20/2014 06:37 PMPosted by Nameless
I am a solo Monk player. I am put in 1-2 hours a day.

Is this why I don't see you in game anymore?
@ManUnited: Looked at your monks. You have the gear to do so. My class-specific gear count is 2 or less per set currently.

@Mnk: I guess so.

RND is really funny. I just got WD's class shoulder tonight. Is that a bug? Would love to trade that for any Monk class set that I don't have.

Tried my lighting build and eq in T3 without any gems. A glass cannon that can't tank, but can still do decent damage. Barely stayed alive by repositioning with DS and CS. Definitely exciting to play with.

As much as I dislike relying on CDR, being able to use the cool-down skill frequently enough to go from elite mob to another without waiting is really a blessing. The trouble to gear it so you still have high damage output.