Monks better or worse in 2.1?

Monk
Better or not - removing dodge is so freaking dumb. Game mechanic primitive itself, they removed lifesteal, now dodge. Well, you should left only DAMAGE and HP. So freaking casual.
07/28/2014 11:46 PMPosted by ManUnited

Tempest Rush was Druin favourite skill in D3 period. Now it will be buffed in 2.1!

Yes I still remember that we were all unhappy that there was no blue response in our threads, and then Druin said that he was actually communicating behind the scenes with the devs and he told us that buffs were in place...

And then the next day, BAM!!!! PTR patch notes full of TR changes.

TLDR: Druin is now happy with his TR "buffs", which is why he no longer cares about pushing for other buffs.
07/28/2014 07:04 PMPosted by Strego
07/28/2014 05:50 PMPosted by iMind
The class is WAY better now. Yes EP is gone and yes OWE is gone

Nope youre wrong Monks had a role they were best at. Now theyre just the worst of all the classes at damage and have no unique role to fall back on. You really think thats better?

im also happy EP is gone.... hated the playstyle...
and also OWE is gone...now we are a lot more free in our item choise.
In my opinion:

To be honest, our full potential is currently smaller on the PTR than on live, on both the damage front and toughness. However, on live you pretty much don't deal damage unless you're using EP, while on the PTR you have more diverse options to consider.

You still won't deal "top" damage unless you're sporting the Raiment set, and our "top" damage also seems not to be as big as other classes', but our "average" damage is overall more capable of handling stuff up to T6 than on live.

My biggest gripe is with toughness though. On live you NEED OWE just to have a chance at high torments, but if you can manage the gear, it's doable. On PTR, with the change to LOH and the small net nerf of Harmony/Dodge-Armor plus the loss of Dodge, I have way more difficulty sustaining myself in fights.

I just wished we could be melee fighters, capable of actually standing in fights. But you either turn into a rogueish fighter, cycling CCs and trying to evade all damage to the best of your ability, or you need Double Unity/CDR abusing Desert Shroud/Serenity. Up until now I couldn't find a way to build a character capable of enough mitigation/sustain without that "artificial" damage reduction.

Cheers
Until the TR change, I thought we were better off. Not at the same level as other classes, just better than live.
Being little stronger, but worse.
I think most the comments here are right, in the essence that we don't compete on even grounds in Grifts, but for T6 we have several builds in 2.1 (5, 6 maybe more) that can do T6 in good time.

ITEMS are what need to change.
ITEMS are what hold us back
ITEMS are what should be propelling monks the same way a MOJ or TMF propel a WD
ITEMS need to be fixed
ITEMS need creative, synergistic effects.
Sets need to directly alter/effect skills and not proc off skill uses.

Until ITEMS are addressed, Monk is dead.
07/29/2014 12:46 AMPosted by PappaPia
07/28/2014 11:46 PMPosted by ManUnited

Tempest Rush was Druin favourite skill in D3 period. Now it will be buffed in 2.1!

Yes I still remember that we were all unhappy that there was no blue response in our threads, and then Druin said that he was actually communicating behind the scenes with the devs and he told us that buffs were in place...

And then the next day, BAM!!!! PTR patch notes full of TR changes.

TLDR: Druin is now happy with his TR "buffs", which is why he no longer cares about pushing for other buffs.

It is true!
CDR affecting DS is a QOL improvement.
The general buff to 2-handers has potential to see us using one or two daibos, although the jury are still out on this one.
Madstone opens up some new specs, but they're marginal considering the new EP baseline damage doesn't even kill T2 mobs.
Many feel squishier with the changes to Dex and OWE.

The bottom line is "are Monks now as good as DH or WD?". The answer to that is a resounding no.
Better? meh
Worse? meh

We are a meh class.

I don't care. I will still play my meh monks.

As long as I enjoy playing my meh class, I'm meh.

You meh?
meh.

I rolled a meh-onk on ptr season and will do so on live. I just end up having my wd buddy carry me.

and so far it seems like unlimGR1 farms are endgame farming so monks do ok there.
07/29/2014 06:41 AMPosted by rozetta
considering the new EP baseline damage doesn't even kill T2 mobs.

uhm, its 2770% weapon damage. (and scales with respective elemental bonus)

If your EP isn't killing T2 mobs get out of your zdps gear and gear properly. New EP is actually better until GR28/29 or so when it loses effectiveness.

With 1.1m sheet 70% lightning and whatever elite my monk is at, it crits for 60+m explosions. great for trash/champ clearing just !@#$ for RG. fist of az would double it.
07/28/2014 03:18 PMPosted by Bacon
Just going to reiterate the person above me:

Better, but instead of skill tweaks, (except for fixing dodge abilities and any of the heals/lps/lpss/loh abilities to be in line with those stat buffs), I think they really need to just fix the items/sets to be inline with other items/sets.

WE need the CLASS to be good before we need the items fixed. We have inherent problems that are first and foremost issues. But yes, items do need looked at also, but surely not first on the list.
07/29/2014 09:33 AMPosted by Reilloc
07/28/2014 03:18 PMPosted by Bacon
Just going to reiterate the person above me:

Better, but instead of skill tweaks, (except for fixing dodge abilities and any of the heals/lps/lpss/loh abilities to be in line with those stat buffs), I think they really need to just fix the items/sets to be inline with other items/sets.

WE need the CLASS to be good before we need the items fixed. We have inherent problems that are first and foremost issues. But yes, items do need looked at also, but surely not first on the list.

The Season leaderboards prior to people getting 6pc sets showed all classes are neck and neck till endgame items/sets are acquired.

You think a WD dog build is any good prior to TMF/MOJ?
You think DH are GR40 capable without M6? Hell u think they can go past GR32 without M6? Lol. finishing M6 instantly catapaults you up from T3 to T6, or GR25 to GR34.
Fact is, all those classes suck till they get their cool items. Go play a crusader shotgun spec without FOTF and 6pc champion. it might remind you of monk, actually.
07/28/2014 11:04 PMPosted by PappaPia
07/28/2014 10:24 PMPosted by Oxygenetic
Wasn't Druin suppose to be talking with the devs personally (through email) and streamlining changes?

What happened to all of that?

HAHAHAHA you actually believe Druin would do all that? Druin only knows how to tell us to stop whining and be patient.

I have been saying it for a long time: Monks needs more MVPs, and preferably MVPs with more guts and a sense of urgency.

Clueless designers + Brown-noser MVP with no conviction = Totally weak and hopeless class.

This is going too far...the moment we start attacking each other for any reason, nothing good will come from it.

Druin successfully passed on the information and made it very clear how important it was to all of us as monks. What more could you possibly want from Druin? His letter got through and all points were discussed in detail....yet he is being blamed because he was not aggressive enough? He did not whine and cry enough? Just because someone makes noise does not mean they get what they want...if anything, Druin and many others in our clan presented the issues like adults, not children. Do you think Jaetch, Piehole, and other MVP's post aggressively and constantly whine? No, they don't and kudos to them for that...:-)

Patience is a virtue friends...:-)
07/29/2014 04:11 AMPosted by Fitz
Monks as a class are better off. Overall, there is no single build that compares with shatter palm however.

The damage reduction is much more stable and it is easier to maximise your ehp. The buffs along with this make T6 much easier to handle as well.

The class is slowly getting there, but it is still behind the other melee classes somewhat.

The biggest issue in game though is pets rule grifts. Can't believe how incredibly stupid that is that the best way to play now is not playing but watching.

Fully agree. Monks have seen a lot of changes during the past month and there will be many more yet to come...Rome was not built overnight. :-)