HC WD stuck breaking in to T4

Hardcore
I have donated two (what i considered decked out ) WD's to the T4 rifts after finding T1 to T3 easy to farm. I can get about 5 to 10 minutes in to a rift then poof off to the Grave yard. Anyone have a good idea for base Toughness/dps for breaking in to T4, T5, T6?

I'm currently back up to 1mil in dps on paper and 700k toughness. My last WD i lost was over 1mil Toughness and 850k dps. Should I aim for more toughness and if so how are others doing this?
Holy cow! What am I missing here?

OK, I have a US and you don't and that's non-trivial mitigation. I also go with leeching dogs for more mitigation. But you have higher sheet numbers than I do on a similar build and I am farming T5 solo, hardcore.

Out of curiosity, how did you die? I can't really imagine being killed in T4 without a disconnect and even then it'd have to be a particularly poorly timed one.
The first time I was in full Jade set using the dogs that on hit heal for heal over time amount . Ran across a bridge to 4 pac doing vortex, arcane and I can't remember what else, need to look at the death screen shot. I remember getting vortex, hit my spirit walk and the vortexed again and life just dropped in a second. Vessel popped, still not able to move the death screen.

The next death was from skeletons i had over a mil toughness and dps and I think they did a reflect or something to me and hit a double death again.

I'll check your profile and see if I can enhance what I have going thanks for the reply.
hey OP- sorry to hear of the loss of your doc. Looking at what you have now I can say the pets build is a lot less squishy than the jades so thats a good start. I know quite a few jade docs that run high Ts and it is all about good timing. I am a big fan of the fetish build so let me see if I can make a few recs

Assuming we are on shakzuleII: (and that you meant 10M toughness on last doc and not 1M)

put the rhen ho on him and the serp from lazarus. that 27% mitigation is really a huge boost EHP wise and they should be close to dps neutral if not a boost. I like RoT myself but the rhen ho makes explosive toads a lot of fun. since your fetishes are your dmg source you can dump zombies and pick up horrify/FA whcih with GI can give you a near perma armor boost

now, if you have a rorg laying around you can swap the bracers and shoulders to aughiled for further mitigation without dps loss. as well, you can get the 4pc bt still (which I love and free up another gear slot to add in more dps._)

you could drop ptv passive and get jungle fortitude for further mitigation

all in all, snapshot makes a good point, with some minor swaps the gear you have should be solid t4
07/24/2014 02:06 PMPosted by MegaTDog
I'm currently back up to 1mil in dps on paper and 700k toughness

07/24/2014 02:06 PMPosted by MegaTDog
My last WD i lost was over 1mil Toughness and 850k d

700k / 1mil toughness?!?!
what level are u talking about?
We should be talking about around 10mil range toughness...
Sorry yeah 7 mil toughness now or 700k life. My 1mil references were actually 10mil that 0 went to the GY as well apparently when I was posting.

Profile has me at:
Damage904650
Toughness7661450
Healing21819

I just hit over 1mil in dps last night. I lost my good sets of gear what I have now is what I had drop before the last sacrifice. I just started playing with Pile it on had been using Wraitful Protector in it's place. Unfortunately I don't get much out of the Garg WP I pop him up and the king kong just looks around not engaging the enemy and then goes back underground. One time he put him self in time out and just stood by the wall then collapsed back in to the ground.
Thanks for all of the advise I'll try the suggestions out and give it a shot again. I have two more WD's up so I can donate another if it goes south again.
hey man, add me if you want to do some co-op, i learned a lot by running with some other WDs just watching the mechanics etc and it's always good for loot sharing!
Your problem is mostly that you are using HP as a major source of your toughness.

try getting 10mil toughness with only 450k HP and work from there.
I would suggest getting Aughild's shoulders and bracers... 15% elite reduction and damage and 7% melee and range damage reduction...and of course get taskers when you can. I can run T4-5 with my WD no problem (Eskimo)

I think BT full set is pretty much mandatory for anything above T4 with a pet build.
While I'm in no position to give advice on going into higher torments as 3 is my current max... I will chime in and say consider replacing the rune on your Spirit Walk. Even with PTV I have a hard time imagining you running into mana problems since your only spender is Piranhas. The rune seems like a leftover from your Jade-build days and out of place in this new cooldown focused build.

Instead, try the jaunt rune for longer duration. With the extra time from rune + GI + CDR you will be able to have a crazy good uptime on SW. This in turn will increase your overall survivability.
Yeah, I can't figure out what the issue is either.

My suggestions - replace Soul Harvest with something more usable, like BBV. I'd change your spirit walk rune to either healing journey or jaunt. Swap plague of toads rune for addling toads for more CC, great for higher torments.

As others have said, a lot of your toughness comes from life. High toughness from life is deceptive since getting toughness from armor and AR is much better overall than life. I have no issues in T4-T6, and I have less than 400k life.

If you want to group with another doctor, you can add me in game. I run rifts on T4 or higher and am on most nights.
the best things i can suggest are:
-instead of soul harvest use big bad voodoo with the healing rune. use it during bad elites
-use leeching beast instead of burning dogs
-use jaunt instead of honored guest (seriously, you have no mana spenders so this is a complete waste)
-you have like 800 AR, you should have 1500. 800 ar means each hit you take will cause you to suffer massive damage, that HP pool is doing you no favors with such low mitigation
-to go with the above point, your bracers are trash, craft aughild shoulders and bracers to make your rrog worth using
-practice practice practice

just practice and learn to play doc. its an odd class and you have to react fast
While my WD doesn't have the profile dps that most WDs have, I rift T4 somewhat comfortably. As some above have already said, getting Aughild's for some more elite damage reduction would be a good idea. I have Aughild and BT on my WD which gives me a lot of damage to elites (54%) and elite damage reduction (25%). I also go with Jungle Fortitude passive instead of Pierce the Veil (only T3 and above) but that is because I prefer to run a safer build then most. I also don't use US like most pet WDs. I felt more vulnerable with US equipped for some reason... Anyway goodluck!
07/25/2014 08:24 AMPosted by Blackheart
While my WD doesn't have the profile dps that most WDs have, I rift T4 somewhat comfortably. As some above have already said, getting Aughild's for some more elite damage reduction would be a good idea. I have Aughild and BT on my WD which gives me a lot of damage to elites (54%) and elite damage reduction (25%). I also go with Jungle Fortitude passive instead of Pierce the Veil (only T3 and above) but that is because I prefer to run a safer build then most. I also don't use US like most pet WDs. I felt more vulnerable with US equipped for some reason... Anyway goodluck!

hey man, was just looking at your doc as well (I agree on the points you made) have you considered swapping out the helltooth stuff for the 4pc bt bonus ? if you went pants/chest you could put some good dps into the ammy slot pretty easily vs the bt. I can't tell you how much fun it is to never have to run from molten expolosions or worry about the d3v affixes like plague/des. Just something to consider if you find the gear especially since you said you like to run a safer build!
07/25/2014 09:27 AMPosted by marmoset
07/25/2014 08:24 AMPosted by Blackheart

hey man, was just looking at your doc as well (I agree on the points you made) have you considered swapping out the helltooth stuff for the 4pc bt bonus ? if you went pants/chest you could put some good dps into the ammy slot pretty easily vs the bt. I can't tell you how much fun it is to never have to run from molten expolosions or worry about the d3v affixes like plague/des. Just something to consider if you find the gear especially since you said you like to run a safer build!

I was actually using the 4 item bonus for BT for a while but I can't remember why I switched to Helltooth. Might have just been to get the 500 int bonus and a bit more DPS. Not having to run from the molten explosions is definitely convenient but other then that I don't remember a huge difference going to Helltooth. Ill have to give it a try again tonight and see the difference.
Thanks all for the reply's and invitations to join in game. I swapped out some gear and picked up Horror for the 100% armor buff for 8 sec. last night. Swapped out my weapon and tweaked the gear more. Im at 900+ armor and close to 15mil with horror up. I swapped my dog rune a couple times for T4 up I'll go with the healing or damage mitagation. I stayed in T3 and probably will to get comfortable with horror as well as farm more to make the Aug set. I had on soul harvest before i logged last night testing my dps up to 2.1 mil with the 5 stack and using the harrington belt. Was walking through T3 like i did on my first few high end WD again. Thanks for all the tips and I'll keep tweaking.

marmoset - thanks for the offer I'll add you when i get on. I have a couple of friends I run with who play WD's as well and we just kept hitting the T4 wall.

Stuckov - thanks i'll aim for the armor vs the vitality

Azamo - I had the crafted aug's set on my last toon. Just have had some horrible rolls on trying to make another set. Rebuilding gold, gems and crafting materials to try some more.

hidoisan - thanks on the tip for Jaunt. I read a while back that as soon as your ghost takes a hit it drops the extended jaunts. I have the mana one for when I was casting locust and will change that out tonight.

Rhotapi - thanks for the tips on soul harvest, I tried both last night slam dance and SH and got more dps out of the SH. Your right i was focused on vitality will look at more armor instead of vitality or try to get the combination of both.

Isolation - yeah i agree with all you posted and making the changes the bracers are trash but they have been helping with getting more para lvls since I keep helping buddy's re level as well. The shoulders I started to use due to what seems like happens when I pop it's taking to long to get away or find a heal pot or my dogs not hitting to heal me backup they were a find not to long ago.

Blackheart - I'll try the jungle fort vs ptv. I don't want to be too tanky and not be able to kill anything. Wtih PTV i get my dps over a mil with out it im in the 700's range. Been trying to balance it enough that I can clear T3 fast enough to get more gold/gems/crafting materials.

SHAKZULEII is my toon i am running on, the other wd's are for when this one eats it and to start gearing them up again.

What are the best places to spend the para points?
Well, your first death was a jade death and while I've never played jade everyone says they are very squishy. I can't comment too much on that.

On the vortex thing I guess why that surprises me is that things seemed to have survived for a very long time. Here's how ugly situations go for me (in whatever form of ugly we're talking about)

I get vortexed in and walled/frosted/whatever
I decide this is an "oh !@#$" moment
Out comes BBV and Gary and I go into hiding in spirit walk
Stuff dies
I pick up loot

OK, it doesn't always go quite that smoothly but honestly I sort of expect anything short of a rift guardian to just fall down when I pop both BBV and Gary. The only elite pack I'd expect to still be standing after that would be one the pets couldn't engage effectively like those ghosts that fly all over the place.

And that's on T5... with lower numbers than yours... and with a set of gear that can be summed up as "right gear, wrong rolls".
I'm running a very similar build but using a frog instead of a US.

Addling toads helps a lot to remove a bunch of the critters that cause problems. I didn't check your attack speed but if you can get over 1.5 or so it is fantastic with the Rhen'ho.

I usually run T4 solo because it is much faster then t5 for me and is a bit more efficient for me.

I would probably do a bit better using BBV in place of Horrify but I am still behind on upgrading some gems and the extra armor helps a ton and moves by toughness up to about 13 mil.
WOW! made huge improvements with everyone's suggestions T4 is now farmable for me thank you all for your help.

Damage buffed is over 2mil with belt and soul Harvest
Horror helps me keep over 22mil Toughness
Jaunt with the ext timer is working great as well.

And Jungle Fort instead of PTV works great Only a couple of times did my health ever take a hit. Alost killed my buddy on his WD though with those damage shields He popped and back to time out for a few minutes and I was able to clean up the mobs. Tons of fun and broke again but that the way the game goes.

Thanks again all!