Path of exile dailies vs D3 rifts...

Games & Technology
So POE has a mini expansion coming out, not only are they dishing out dailies but revamped crafting and added hideouts with several mentors. Sounds interesting but will it outshine d3 greater rift concept?

We are talking about a small development team vs a giant stock corp...
It will outshine in the mind of those who do not like D3, just as D3 outshines in the mind of those who don't like PoE. Same genre, completely different games, really. I like both, but they're not really my kind of mojo.
Don't like PoE, so don't care about anything there.

I prefer D3 anyday anytime.
If POE had better graphics and didn't feel so chunky it would be a no brainer as to which game everyone would be playing.

Also I had a blast playing Grim Dawn , but it suffers from similar problems.

One problem all these games suffer is when you get end game gear you will hit a gear wall and there is no more fun in finding upgrades anymore because you wont find them anymore.
Could care less about PoE. Not interested in greater rifts. I'm getting a little tired of developers adding timers on things. If I was in a hurry I wouldn't be playing a video game.
08/01/2014 07:40 PMPosted by Archangel
So POE has a mini expansion coming out, not only are they dishing out dailies but revamped crafting and added hideouts with several mentors. Sounds interesting but will it outshine d3 greater rift concept?

POE = apples
D3 = oranges

Play whichever you find tastiest.

=)
08/01/2014 07:52 PMPosted by Temper

POE = apples
D3 = oranges

Play whichever you find tastiest.

=)

Banana, for scale
meat
Grim Dawn = Potatoes
I like PoE and fully intend to play the new expansion coming out this month. That said, I believe D3 to be the better game. PoE is a true Diablo 2 clone, so much so that even its map graphics are identical to D2, which means that not only does PoE have all of D2 strengths, it has its weaknesses too:

- Aforementioned graphics.

- Dated art style.

- Clunky combat animation. Playing a melee character for me is just painful.

- Stash and personal inventories that only a hardcore Tetris player would love.

- Overcomplicated economy with an archaic barter system, where RNG plays a huge factor. There's a reason why most RL economies use currencies.

- A passive skill tree that's especially daunting to new players, coupled with very limited respec'ing ability, equals frustration. There's nothing like reaching Merciless and discovering that your kickass spec is actually as weak as a wet noodle. There's nothing you can do except start over.

- PoE's lore took D2 minimalist approach to the nth degree with its storyline being almost nonexistent. Been playing for a year and a half and I still don't really know what's going on.

- A loot and crafting system that's wholly based on RNG. All of it. From the materials dropping to the end result. You're gambling that you'll not only get the mats you need, but also that you won't make your "need just one more link" item worse. And for all the people crying in D3 that they've not gotten BiS drops, it's even worse in PoE. I've been playing since open beta 2013, and I've not yet seen a six-link. Heck, I haven't even seen an Eternal Orb. Loot is a giant roulette wheel, round and round it goes, what you get, no one knows--at least until it drops. And yes, you can trade for the items you need, but see the above point about the economy.

- Desync and an unforgiving death penalty also equals frustration.

- An end game that's also based on RNG and where the final levels are just horrific grinds. The highest I've gotten is level 80 (out of 100) on my fire witch. I wanted to get to 90, but the higher level maps weren't dropping for me and I just didn't have the patience to run the lower level maps which gave me less than a half bar of xp per completed map. More frustration. Especially since those last few nodes I needed for my spec were maddeningly out of reach.

Still, despite all that, PoE is a good game. The content has depth and the mobs and boss fights are challenging, especially in Merciless. I also enjoy their leagues and races (long and short ladders). The progression through the different zones is well thought out, so that even though I've no idea why I'm there, I at least know how I got there--and also where I'm going.

PoE's not better than Diablo 3, but it definitely is a good "I need a break from D3" game.
Let's just keep it to the fruit food group please,otherwise I'd go play X3 Terran Conflict and include dairy in the translation as well.

=P
08/01/2014 08:46 PMPosted by Ryaskybird
I like PoE and fully intend to play the new expansion coming out this month. That said, I believe D3 to be the better game. PoE is a true Diablo 2 clone, so much so that even its map graphics are identical to D2, which means that not only does PoE have all of D2 strengths, it has its weaknesses too:

- Aforementioned graphics.

- Dated art style.

- Clunky combat animation. Playing a melee character for me is just painful.

- Stash and personal inventories that only a hardcore Tetris player would love.

- Overcomplicated economy with an archaic barter system, where RNG plays a huge factor. There's a reason why most RL economies use currencies.

- A passive skill tree that's especially daunting to new players, coupled with very limited respec'ing ability, equals frustration. There's nothing like reaching Merciless and discovering that your kickass spec is actually as weak as a wet noodle. There's nothing you can do except start over.

- PoE's lore took D2 minimalist approach to the nth degree with its storyline being almost nonexistent. Been playing for a year and a half and I still don't really know what's going on.

- A loot and crafting system that's wholly based on RNG. All of it. From the materials dropping to the end result. You're gambling that you'll not only get the mats you need, but also that you won't make your "need just one more link" item worse. And for all the people crying in D3 that they've not gotten BiS drops, it's even worse in PoE. I've been playing since open beta 2013, and I've not yet seen a six-link. Heck, I haven't even seen an Eternal Orb. Loot is a giant roulette wheel, round and round it goes, what you get, no one knows--at least until it drops. And yes, you can trade for the items you need, but see the above point about the economy.

- Desync and an unforgiving death penalty also equals frustration.

- An end game that's also based on RNG and where the final levels are just horrific grinds. The highest I've gotten is level 80 (out of 100) on my fire witch. I wanted to get to 90, but the higher level maps weren't dropping for me and I just didn't have the patience to run the lower level maps which gave me less than a half bar of xp per completed map. More frustration. Especially since those last few nodes I needed for my spec were maddeningly out of reach.

Still, despite all that, PoE is a good game. The content has depth and the mobs and boss fights are challenging, especially in Merciless. I also enjoy their leagues and races (long and short ladders). The progression through the different zones is well thought out, so that even though I've no idea why I'm there, I at least know how I got there--and also where I'm going.

PoE's not better than Diablo 3, but it definitely is a good "I need a break from D3" game.

All else aside in your post,I'm of the opinion that POE is more comparable to Diablo 1 than Diablo 2.On the most basic levels of course.

The most basic level is that both D1 and POE are completely item dependant.Without items the character doesn't even have a party trick to entertain one around the camp fire.

=)

I couldn't tell you, but I can say that D3's greater rifts don't shine at all. It's nothing but a progressive copypasta of rifts. Nothing interesting about it.
08/01/2014 09:01 PMPosted by Pillion
08/01/2014 08:52 PMPosted by Temper
The most basic level is that both D1 and POE are completely item dependant
I think it's more comparable to Diablo 2 in terms of gear dependency.

In Diablo 1, you could make a naked character of any class and beat Diablo on Hell difficulty.

Items include but are not limited to spell books in D1.

That's what I'm setting the comparison at.

In D2 we were afforded a skill tree which made items an additive to build diversity,going so far as being build enablers.

In D1 and POE there is no such thing,if you strip the character of all acquired items there is nothing of a build left besides the stats spent on attributes and in POEs case passive nodes that are useless without the gear (including gems) to drive the build.

ARPGs that offer skill trees as the main progression for builds offer items the opportunity to be additive to a build rather than *be* the build.

=)
08/01/2014 09:01 PMPosted by Pillion
In Diablo 1, you could make a naked character of any class and beat Diablo on Hell difficulty.

Not without cheats.
In D2 you could plenty legit.
In D1 you were totally item dependent.

Good for GGG.
I'm sure shareholders and upper management at Blizz will duly note this.

Small teams - see D1, SC, WC etc.. - generally wow the heck out of you. Good on them.
This is a D3 forum.
Your post should be moved here:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/5386232/
PoE has a lot of good stuff in it that D3 doesn't - but I don't think it will ever 'outshine' D3 because its combat isn't even on the same playing field. All the customization, features, itemization, quests - everything circles around combat. Its why D3 was able to go so long lacking so much - because at the end of the day, it was epic to smash demons in the face.
Path of Exile = Better Game Design
Diablo 3 = Better Engine
Doubt it.

PoE has had 2 expansions now and it's still not anywhere close to the popularity of Diablo 3. I'm speaking objectively here mind you...as my preferences clearly lie with D3.

People look at D3 as THE arpg loot hunt game on the market.
PoE's new expansion won't change that.

The more interesting question is...will PoE's next expansion outshine the major patches/mods of Torchlight 2 and Marvel Heroes? These three games are much easier to compare and are in the same league as one another.