About Gearing .

New Player Help
I currently reached lvl70 (20) monk. But i still haven't learn how to gear. i don't know what to get and where to get it. So i was hoping someone can tell me what i need.

Currently my damage is 170,614
Toughness 4,447,064

I take a long time to clear bounty in torment 1. but i don't die often.

So what do i need?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Another question. How do people know what legendary is that without identifying it?? i see most twitch streamers know what they are getting..i need that special knowledge as well :P
although I don't play monk much (can't give you a definitive answer on what gear/stats to strive for), I can offer some insight on how we know what some of the legendaries are before identifying it. Each legendary has it's own special look. we can see most of what the legendary looks like before identifying it and have a pretty good guess as to what it will be. hope this helps
08/22/2014 12:15 PMPosted by JasonSkylex
So what do i need?

Critical hit chance (ammy, gloves, rings, bracer, helm) and
Critical hit damage (weapon socket with emerald, ammy, rings, gloves).

Then choose some preferred element for skills and get +elemental damage too (legendaries), or + skill damage for your most used skill (boots).

At your level good rares are way better than bad legendaries (looking at your justice lantern).
And a rorg is a good item, but not if you don't have a set to complete. You might put it back on some day unless you find a 70 first.
does plans drop in certain maps? or all maps have the chance of it to drop?? I'm thinking of hunting for the hallowed plan. but not sure where to get it
Hallowed plans are pretty useless for monk. Early in ROS certain plans dropped in certian bounties don't know if that is still the case.

Captain crimson's, Cain's Aughlid's plans are useful for some monk builds.

The Helms, set items you fins will determine which sort of build will work best.
If you want to go for like immense dps monk really there is the raiment of the thousand storms monk which is really hard to use and gear dependant because you also need an item called jawbreaker. But damage is real real high if used correctly. Rimeheart and furnace used to be monks ripping dps weapons and collabs with the 6set or zdps build as well but those are getting nerfed to the ground so it's out of the story.
Your gear is not bad. But you have no sockets on your weapons. Put sockets on both weapons, get rid of Life on Hit and sacrifice Vitality. Then put Flawless Royal Emeralds in them and you will almost double your damage. Max out all your gems to Flawless Royal gems. Go do some Greater Rifts and get some legendary gems to replace the emeralds you have in your jewelry. Also reroll your gloves and bracers to get more Crit hit and damage. Try and get as much Crit as possible. This will give you adequate gear to run at least T3. But you will need to change up your skills.

You need to spam Epiphany with Desert Shroud and get as much cool down reduction as you can. Also dump Mantra of Conviction for Mantra of Salvation with Agility. As for passives get rid of fleet footed and momentum and get Harmony and Guardians Path, this will increase your toughness immensely. Lastly, I suggest replacing wave of light with lashing tail kick to disperse damage more effectively and to complement your sweeping wind.

If you do all this your DPS should be around 500,000 and your toughness buffed should be over 15 million, 30 million with Epiphany, you should not die at all on T3.
U need the sunwuko + innas flying dragon path or the sunwuko + aughilds flying dragon path. Or of course the raiments jawbreaker monk.
First off, the best way to gear is to join a clan, especially a clan that respects its players. The game is geared more towards rewarding people who group with others, especially in increasing the item find. But that is your choice; it just makes getting gear much quicker.

One piece of gear you will want to get is the Ring of Royal Grandeur, which you can only get from Horodric Cubes that you get from the bounties in Act 1, in Adventure more. This gives the ability that requires less pieces of set gear to grant you the set bonuses, but you need at least 2 pieces for it to work.

You definitely want to get the Aughlid's set, which will help in defense. They drop from anything, mob, chest, and even pots and barrels. Make that and that will help you in survivability. Hopefully this helps as well.
09/17/2014 09:16 PMPosted by VoidOfOne

You definitely want to get the Aughlid's set, which will help in defense. They drop from anything, mob, chest, and even pots and barrels. Make that and that will help you in survivability. Hopefully this helps as well.

Wtf u can get aughilds from drops? That is like the most retarded thing I've read all day. Unless I'm missing out on something here.
09/18/2014 07:41 AMPosted by Lilith

Wtf u can get aughilds from drops? That is like the most retarded thing I've read all day. Unless I'm missing out on something here.

I think he meant the plans can drop from anything.

Also OP I have 2 monks on my profile with slightly different builds. The main thing you need to pick first is what ELE you are going to be and Stick with it. Then its all about how you wanna play and what gear fits your Play style or Skills you picked.

My season monk is way better than my non season monk but they both can give you ideas for playing different ways.

Season Monk, http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/twiztid420-1790/hero/51727269

non Season, http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/twiztid420-1790/hero/5086335
Lots of writing, but the easiest way to start building you gear up is just to keep running in T1 Adventure groups. You will start finding gear that way rather quickly. Within 1 week, I was able to solo T6 (although slowly, and not with rifts)
Last question first: Each legendary item has a specific and unique icon. So after identifiying a lot of them you will recognize them after a while.

Your monk should aim for 300k life < Torment 3, 400k+ life in Tormet 3+
Damage looks fine so far BUT the damage value doesn't mean anything. %Elemental and %Elite Damage are very important right now. Try to get at least 40% Elemental, and 20% Elite for a start. My monk for instance has 60 elemental and ~35 Elite. You'll notice a big difference.

You can also find %SomeSkillDamage on a lot of items. It's nice to have a skill deal 10-15% more damage

Good item slots for elite damage are: Amulett, Bracers.

Also as a rule of thumb try to have your crit chance one tenth of your crit damage. You can use paragon points for that.
09/18/2014 07:41 AMPosted by Lilith

i think he meant the plan for Aughild's set lol

also, the best way to play this game is by using what u get.

if u go in looking for stuff prepare for a rough ride lol