Greater Rift Exploits

General Discussion
Ok, so I've heard of players who deliberately start grifts at lvl 0, or lvl 1, then only kill the grift guardian with 3 mins left on timer..

Their rationale is that the guardians are the ones who drop the great loot, and the more guardians you kill the more loot you get. So killing them with 3 mins to spare upgrades your grift stone by 1 lvl only. So instead of skipping 5 lvls of grifts, you get to kill 5 guardians at lower difficulties and get more loot.

What's the viability of this and how much in terms of quality does loot differ in the different lvls of grifts?
I havent noticed the difference in loot at all...to the point where often no legs drop at all.

Its more about low lvl leg gem progression I thought, by targeting the appropriate grift lvl to get a 100% gem increase chance.
The point about just going 1 by 1 in Grift is more about 3 gem upgrade chance at each RG kill/ GR level completed, than legendary loot. This will be the past fast, as people get their gems upgraded.
As low lvl GRifts are very fast, you can run those easily upgrading your gems at start very fast if you want that.

Just like afking. doing bounties is not worth it anymore, as you have to fill the bar to spawn RG since the recent hotfix.

For legendary item loots (not gems) normal rifts are still better I think.

I wonder what will happen when people top off their gems in a few weeks, top off their GR performance and realize there is nothing more to do with all their top notch gems :0

Then will come the GR Gem run community, when top DHs clear high tier GRs and invite in weaker chars for Gem upgrades.
Lower level Grifts tend to give less legendaries. The higher your grift level is, the higher chance for a legendary item to drop. Just like higher tier has better chances.
08/31/2014 09:25 PMPosted by Schizer
Ok, so I've heard of players who deliberately start grifts at lvl 0, or lvl 1, then only kill the grift guardian with 3 mins left on timer..

Their rationale is that the guardians are the ones who drop the great loot, and the more guardians you kill the more loot you get. So killing them with 3 mins to spare upgrades your grift stone by 1 lvl only. So instead of skipping 5 lvls of grifts, you get to kill 5 guardians at lower difficulties and get more loot.

What's the viability of this and how much in terms of quality does loot differ in the different lvls of grifts?

Dont use the word exploit when you dont know what it means.
08/31/2014 09:49 PMPosted by Shaitara

08/31/2014 09:51 PMPosted by Soul
08/31/2014 09:49 PMPosted by Shaitara

08/31/2014 09:53 PMPosted by Ryken
08/31/2014 09:51 PMPosted by Soul
08/31/2014 09:57 PMPosted by Cheshire
08/31/2014 09:32 PMPosted by Chewie
ts more about low lvl leg gem progression
This is a sensible thing to do playing Hardcore. You don't want to jump the difficulty in big leaps. You might be able to comfortably handle most encounters, but there are potential elite affix combinations that are Kryptonite to your superman. But once you've reached a certain level and upgraded gems, you can rush through to it with the next keystone if you wish.
08/31/2014 09:32 PMPosted by Chewie
I havent noticed the difference in loot at all...to the point where often no legs drop at all.

Its more about low lvl leg gem progression I thought, by targeting the appropriate grift lvl to get a 100% gem increase chance.

I would think so too, except that when you choose to upgrade your keystone, you lose your chance to upgrade your gem, so it's one or the other.

So far I've been receiving at least one legendary from grift 18+ (excluding the legendary gems). But I'm not sure about the lower level ones..

08/31/2014 09:35 PMPosted by Bodoka
I wonder what will happen when people top off their gems in a few weeks, top off their GR performance and realize there is nothing more to do with all their top notch gems :0

I believe that gems do not have a lvl limit, just like paragon levels..

I feel like I find more loot in Rifts rather than the GRGs.
Yea but the chance to upgrade is dependent on the Grift lvl and your gem lvl. If your gem is just a couple of lvls higher then the Grift you did going to have a lesser chance of upgrading. I believe it gets to a point where you can't upgrade a gem unless you get a higher Grift
It's not an exploit.
09/01/2014 06:57 PMPosted by Brad

This. I'm pretty sure T6 rifts are still better than GR for farming items if you're upgrading your gems. Does moving all the loot to one monster really confuse people or something?

It's idiotic. You want to take 15 minutes per low level GRift, the only thing you are "exploiting" is yourself...LOL.

Do the thing as fast as you can. Upgrade your stone 3 times, and that final level will be a satisfying challenge, you will get the greatest reward from the RG, and then you upgrade your gems at 100% a shot, instead of 30%.

Repeat.

The point about just going 1 by 1 in Grift is more about 3 gem upgrade chance at each RG kill/ GR level completed, than legendary loot. This will be the past fast, as people get their gems upgraded.
As low lvl GRifts are very fast, you can run those easily upgrading your gems at start very fast if you want that.

Like I said, that's idiotic.

What's the point of starting over 3 times for 9 chances of upgrading a gem at 30%? It's just stupid to do that.

And what happens when you run out of Trial Keystones? Then you are back in Rifts farming for them.

For each Trial Stone, you do about 3 waves of the trial in a relaxed manner. You do the GRift and collect your loot, and upgrade your Stone. When you get to your max level, collect your loot, then upgrade your gems; any combination of 3 upgrades at a guaranteed 100%. Then start the process over with your next Trial Keystone.

You'll know about what level is max for your character after you do two rounds of this. You get 100% upgrade chance at about level 25, I think.

Have any of you guys ever even done any of these? LOL

Good hunting.
09/01/2014 07:06 PMPosted by Candlejack
09/01/2014 06:57 PMPosted by Brad

This. I'm pretty sure T6 rifts are still better than GR for farming items if you're upgrading your gems. Does moving all the loot to one monster really confuse people or something?

I agree, if your doing GRifts for loot then your doing it way too inefficiently. T6 Rifts in group play is still the king for loot. I doubt you'll ever get a half dozen legendary/set pieces from a GRift guardian even at the higher levels. Where you can get that as well as a ton of gold, rares and mats on a typical T6 rift.

I found this out the hard way as I too tried to take advantage of this "exploit" and purposely began my GRifts at lower levels so that I can get more loot per rift key. What I found is that you usually get another gem that you already have and the same crappy legendaries that you would get from normal rifts except less of them. Oh and much less blood shards.

My take on GRifts is that it's about greater challenge and upgrading legendary gems. As far as gems are concerned they designed it where the percentage of successfully upgrading them at higher levels scales with the level of the GRift. So if your trying to get your gems leveled past 30 then it is essentially a waste of time to doing lower level GRifts.

Do explain why this is an exploit. For people who can do T6 to get GR keys 100% of the time, they don't don't like to waste time.