Nemesis

Console Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
Ran into my first Nemesis this weekend. Man, that was intense. It started with this drumming and horns I'd never heard before, and that was a bit before you actually see the boss, so it really ratcheted up the tension for the encounter. Nice job, Blizzard!
08/25/2014 11:54 AMPosted by SuperRob
Ran into my first Nemesis this weekend. Man, that was intense. It started with this drumming and horns I'd never heard before, and that was a bit before you actually see the boss, so it really ratcheted up the tension for the encounter. Nice job, Blizzard!

This is one of my favorite aspects of the game.
On any given play session I've had at least one encounter, and lucky I've survived them all :)
I have been getting killed periodically on purpose to try to send a Nemesis into my brother's game (he's the only one on my list since I'm a horrible recluse). You wouldn't happen to know if there's a visual cue for when you have created an outgoing nemesis would you? He hasn't seen one yet and I haven't seen anything to indicate that one was created after being brutally murdered by RandomMob00324.

From your description and others, it sounds like great fun.
Yeaaah. The horns, before he arrives, are awesome.
I thought the monster that killed you creates a portal and leaves your game? That would be the visual cue I guess.
08/25/2014 12:09 PMPosted by Mantis
I thought the monster that killed you creates a portal and leaves your game? That would be the visual cue I guess.

I have read that a couple of times but I have yet to see it. Is that accurate?

While I'm at it (since I've already hijacked the thread sort of), I still haven't figured out exactly how it works. Assuming your death DOES trigger a nemesis, will it only go to someone on your list who is ONLINE or will it just hang out behind a bush somewhere breathing hard and <removed> waiting for the target to come online unsuspectingly? I'm hoping it is the later.
Can't confirm how accurate that it, I have not seen it happen myself. Only died once so far and i waited and looked around but nothing happened. Seen others die in online games but no portal was created.

I would like to know that too. We need a detailed q&a on the nemesis system!
I'm surprised to be hearing about so many of them running around as it is. The official line on it is that only a non-elite monster can become a nemesis. From playing on the PC version, I can honestly say that I can't recall a single time when I was killed by any non-elite monster, unless one just happened to get a lucky kill shot in when I was fighting a pack of nasties with yuck all over the ground.

Perhaps I will strip naked and face tank mobs of regular enemies tonight when I know for sure the only person on my friend list is offline. If a nemesis is created at any point (assuming the portal cue is good intel of course), and it later appears in my brother's game when he is online, we'll know.
In my case, it the nemesis that showed up had killed me (it was my own nemesis), so I'm not sure. And I don't recall seeing it portal out, maybe that was just flavor description?
That's sort of what I expect to find out. I hope not, though. Having a cue of some sort would allow me to send lewd and derisive text messages to my sibling warning him of his impending, inevitable rectal invasion by demon.

It's the little things in life that make it worth living.
The Nemesis system is great. I just wish the "warning" for them was a little more noticeable. Since I've started doing Torment 2/3, they only seem to come when I'm already fighting a Rift Guardian or 3 packs of elites...
I, also, would like to know how the system works. I've murdered a few of these nemeses now and 3/4 times the mob has killed the same guy on my friends list who happens to be a paragon level 100+ (not sure exact #)

I assume maybe hes playing on a torment level that he isn't fully ready for? The whole "non-elites only" thing is interesting. Personally, with the way my crusader is set up right now (level 53 on expert just started act 4) nothing in the game has even gotten close to killing me. One of the nemeses I killed had 3 fallen followers, meaning it had cycle through 2 other people and killed them before meeting its demise to me muahaha.

Very curious on how these originate, though. I don't see why only non-elites could become a Nemesis when they have all looked the same. Outside of main bosses of course because I highly doubt if Azmodan killed you he would just disappear lol.

Edit: Also, I killed a nemesis the other day with one follower, so he had only killed my one friend before I killed him. The gift I picked up was not for him, it was for someone else on my friends list. Anyone else had this happen?
08/25/2014 12:09 PMPosted by Mantis

I've only noticed that if it was a nemesis that kills you. Not a normal mob.

Player A off your friends list gets killed...triggering nemesis.

Nemesis pops into your game (queue horn of awesomness). One of 2 options:

1 - You kill the nemesis - get a gift.
2 - Nemesis kills you (or anyone in the party) - he portals and leaves.

I know this part is correct as I've had it happen too many times. Playing by myself - I get the nemesis kills. Play with my brother - and twice last night - we hear the horn. I warn him - just ask him to stay alive.....and he manages to die. Bye bye nemesis as he ports out. :(
I died one time in game, took a break and stopped playing, came back a couple hours later and got attacked by my own nemesis in game. It was my own cuz i have no1 on my friends list that plays diablo
If that's the case then it might suggest that the nemesis could hang out in the cloud and attack someone later who was offline when you died. This makes me wonder why this stuff wasn't explained a little more specifically initially and why more people aren't curious about it.
Once a Nemesis is created by slaying a hero it will immediately leave the game through a hellish red portal. You might think that it's biding its time in a zerg like chrysalis, but its not, it's just deciding who to attack next. It might immediately attack one of your friends if (or when) it thinks the time is right, but it's just as likely to wait for one of your offline friends.
08/25/2014 12:15 PMPosted by Whomp
I have read that a couple of times but I have yet to see it. Is that accurate?

Sadly, before you can see the creature "level up" and watch his red portal open, the "YOU HAVE DIED" screen fades the scene to darkness quite a bit, blocking your view. If you're lucky, you can just see it behind all the text, but it happens quite fast.

08/25/2014 02:28 PMPosted by Gus2Bone
I died one time in game, took a break and stopped playing, came back a couple hours later and got attacked by my own nemesis in game. It was my own cuz i have no1 on my friends list that plays diablo

During the network downtime over the weekend my Nemesis returned to me. He hadn't visited anyone else yet, because he only had my "former head" as a trophy and his title was "Slayer of Signus" (which is my character). I took care of him.
This "Nemesis" feature doesn't work how they say it does. I have a friend who's ONLY logged in, connected his Battle.net and created a character. He has not even played once. I've run into his "Nemesis" 3 times and I've randomly received 4 gifts for him. I get the impression the Nemesis is a random event in all our games, but to make it seem cool, they throw someone from our friends list's name on it.
08/25/2014 05:42 PMPosted by Copperneck
This "Nemesis" feature doesn't work how they say it does. I have a friend who's ONLY logged in, connected his Battle.net and created a character. He has not even played once. I've run into his "Nemesis" 3 times and I've randomly received 4 gifts for him. I get the impression the Nemesis is a random event in all our games, but to make it seem cool, they throw someone from our friends list's name on it.

Sorry but that is incorrect. A nemesis is only created from killing someone then it will leave their game through a red portal. It will never just happen on its own for no reason.
08/25/2014 04:37 PMPosted by Grimiku
Once a Nemesis is created by slaying a hero it will immediately leave the game through a hellish red portal. You might think that it's biding its time in a zerg like chrysalis, but its not, it's just deciding who to attack next. It might immediately attack one of your friends if (or when) it thinks the time is right, but it's just as likely to wait for one of your offline friends.

Can this feature PLEASE come to PC?!