Goblin Portals: A Logical Flaw

General Discussion
This argument is aimed toward well-geared level 70 players like myself.

When are we meant to use this content? I ask this because the way the portal system is designed doesn't make sense in any logical fashion. Let's take a look at it.

Goblin portals do not spawn in Rifts, where 99% of our time is spent.
Goblin portals do not spawn in Greater Rifts.
Goblin portals do spawn in Bounties. However, I don't know about you but the only time I do Bounties is when I'm trying for RORG. Once I get one, I ragequit for a while out of frustration of this game and go back to doing Rifts.
Goblin portals do spawn in Story Mode. But are we really still doing Story Mode in any longevity at level 70? EDIT: apparently they don't.
Goblin portals do spawn in Seasons, though not in Rifts or Greater Rifts.

Even low-level players can't really benefit, as we all know the most efficient way to level from 1-60 is through Rifting, preferably via a rush from a high-level, well-geared friend. At 60 we do Bounties, which is really the only time we do them besides while farming RORG.

So, again, I ask you. When are we meant to use this content?
I guess you are meant to use it when you are in campaign or adventure mode, obviously.
09/01/2014 10:02 AMPosted by Calm
Goblin portals do spawn in Story Mode. But are we really still doing Story Mode in any longevity at level 70?

No, they don't spawn in Story Mode. They only spawn in Adventure mode at lvl 70.
Why is it that you feel players have to be multitasking to look for goblins? Why can't we be expected to go hunting around the world specifically for goblins?

I imagine when a player is low on gold then they should have sufficient motivation to look for them and that gem is a beast for players running T6 rifts so why would it be so questionable to go out of your way specifically to find one? If you feel you need to multitask feel free to do a few bounties while even if you don't need any specific legendary items it is a great way to stock up on key fragments.
09/01/2014 10:17 AMPosted by MissCheetah
09/01/2014 10:02 AMPosted by Calm
Goblin portals do spawn in Story Mode. But are we really still doing Story Mode in any longevity at level 70?

No, they don't spawn in Story Mode. They only spawn in Adventure mode at lvl 70.

Hm, wow. That's even worse.

09/01/2014 10:17 AMPosted by Malevo
Why is it that you feel players have to be multitasking to look for goblins? Why can't we be expected to go hunting around the world specifically for goblins?

I imagine when a player is low on gold then they should have sufficient motivation to look for them and that gem is a beast for players running T6 rifts so why would it be so questionable to go out of your way specifically to find one? If you feel you need to multitask feel free to do a few bounties while even if you don't need any specific legendary items it is a great way to stock up on key fragments.

That's what I'm doing currently. If this is the only option however...
It is an incentive to do something outside of rifts.
You're meant to experience it when you are doing bounties. Once you have the gem that the boss in the vault drops you quite literally never need to return there. It took me around 10 hours of targeted goblin farming to get my first portal. The very next day I showed my friend the gem and he decided to go looking, 2 goblins later he had his own hoarder gem. RNG is RNG, goodluck hunting and may you get it swiftly.
09/01/2014 10:22 AMPosted by Doobletons

So we're supposed to go all around the game map and look for random goblin spawns. Sounds boring.
09/01/2014 10:23 AMPosted by gudmugly
You're meant to experience it when you are doing bounties. Once you have the gem that the boss in the vault drops you quite literally never need to return there. It took me around 10 hours of targeted goblin farming to get my first portal. The very next day I showed my friend the gem and he decided to go looking, 2 goblins later he had his own hoarder gem. RNG is RNG, goodluck hunting and may you get it swiftly.

It's not really the gem that concerns me. The Vault is a great idea that potentially adds enjoyment to the game. In it's current format however, it doesn't bring anything other than frustration.

The only solution to correct this is to allow portal spawns in rifts.
You only do bounties when you need the ring from act 1 or you're hunting for keys for the hellfire amulet.
Since they changed the whole system of 5 keys to open rift to 1 key it also means people hardly do any bounties so you need to farm specific for the goblins which takes to much time.
Why the hell do we still even have gold, was easier to just remove it as a total and increase the amount of materials needed for either upgrades or gems.
It's not boring, it's retard. It's another layer of RNG for you!
Looking for random *RNG) gob spawn, kill it, hoping when it dies, it will spawn a portal (RNG)!
09/01/2014 10:25 AMPosted by Calm
09/01/2014 10:22 AMPosted by Doobletons

So we're supposed to go all around the game map and look for random goblin spawns. Sounds boring.

We did it for 2 years when goblins weren't even the primary reason to do it. Once you actually do find a vault it is a very rewarding feeling that only motivates you to want to find another.
I don't really need to do bounties, since I've got over 300 Rift Keystone Fragments, but I still run adventure mode to farm Keywarden keys from time to time.

That said, over the weekend I've found the treasure realm 3 times while farming Keywarden's in T5.
I may have been lucky, but that's well worth my time... farming keys for the Hellfire pieces, well, that's debatable, but I did manage to get a pretty good Hellfire Amulet for my WD. :)
@ OP; 99% of whose time spent in rifts?? Not mine, I enjoy the grind for loot and gold in the various acts doing bounties.

I've had two goblin vaults spawn and the silly whimsyshire nonsense portal too. Try doing something other than rifts.
09/01/2014 10:23 AMPosted by gudmugly

That is not entirely true for everyone. In my opinion you can enjoy the benefits of using the gem while looking for more vaults to effectively maximize your gold earning potential.

I think it is great that Blizzard created a separation between item farming and gold farming. Two different methods for two different things and in the end you can still enjoy finding both but depending on which you choose specifically you will find more of.

If they wanted players to do that then nerfing the 100% Goblin spawn wasn't a good way to go about it.

Took me nearly 3 hours of farming those two goblins to get a portal and now that's gone.

When the additional goblin buff ends then new players looking for the portal are going to have a tough time finding one.

Having goblins getting a chance (possibly at a lower%?) to spawn portals in rift doesn't seem like that bad of an idea.
In my personal opinion, I believe they added it as a further "bonus" to doing bounties. Right now, bounties just aren't that rewarding anymore. Not when you can get 2-3 legs doing a rift in less time. I do wish they would add/change something more, so that no matter what you're doing, you're still having fun and that chance at better legs
Having goblins getting a chance (possibly at a lower%?) to spawn portals in rift doesn't that bad of an idea.

The problem with Goblin portals opening in a rift is that there is no quick way to return to where you left the rift. The goblin portals, when completed, leave you with no way out other than returning to town... and why should they, they are for goblins, not for allowing you to return to where you found the portal. So you'd have to return to town, and then re-enter the rift from the beginning to get back to where you were... that would especially be an issue with greater rifts.
09/01/2014 10:42 AMPosted by JayDog
Having goblins getting a chance (possibly at a lower%?) to spawn portals in rift doesn't that bad of an idea.

The problem with Goblin portals opening in a rift is that there is no quick way to return to where you left the rift. The goblin portals, when completed, leave you with no way out other than returning to town... and why should they, they are for goblins, not for allowing you to return to where you found the portal. So you'd have to return to town, and then re-enter the rift from the beginning to get back to where you were... that would especially be an issue with greater rifts.

Then add an exit. I'm sure portals go both ways.