Upcoming Hotfixes: Disabled Event Bounties

Blizzard Archive
Prev 1 3 4 5 12 Next
09/03/2014 05:57 PMPosted by Lylirra
One of our ongoing goals for Diablo III (and Seasons in particular) is to promote diversity in play styles and encourage a variety of experience whenever possible

Does this mean you're actively going to buff build variety? because right now there is a lot of 1 build 1 set of gear, specially for monks.

I don't particularity enjoy spamming mantra while attack button down, nor should it be an intended design philosophy, Give me a reason to use other spirit spenders please.

ps. You have done good with buffs to monks, but you have some critical issues to solve still.
09/03/2014 06:39 PMPosted by Sÿlak
09/03/2014 06:12 PMPosted by CyberGoat
So... what's your design philosophy behind the PTR implementation?
Why wasn't feedback concerning these bounties address PRIOR to the official release of 2.1?
Why were complaints about xp/leveling on Adventure Mode and/or Bounties in general address in the myriad of threads?

This was never hidden knowledge. Any casual forum viewer could easily locate it.

What was the point of having test seasons on the PTR, again? In fact, what's the point of the PTR if valuable feedback such as the bounty "exploits" weren't addressed until 2.1 went live?
Anybody that has been around here long enough knows that PTR feedback is useless in large part. Let that be lesson to you when the next PTR hits the servers.
Cheers!

Yep... After the Loot 2.0 PTR Fiasco... Never again shall I participate in Diablo 3's PTR.
All of you QQ'ing because you don't get to speed level are pathetic. My friends and myself hit level 70 in the first 10 hours of the season easily without using exploits like the rest of you choose to do. Play the game right and stop crying.
Baffles me that things like this are still happening. 2 years, some how-many patches, PTRs, threads upon threads of feedback. I hate to say it, but I'm starting to lose hope.
I can understand the design from a season point of view (sort of) but for non season this makes absolutely no sense.

I would bet my life that majority of people who play this game do not enjoy in the slightest leveling from 1-70 and are more interested in the actual game which doesn't start till you hit 70.

Sure it isn't the most fun way to get to 70 but there are those of us who gives 0 "you know whats" about leveling and want to get it done as fast as possible. We are not in it to find some greater transcending joy in the leveling process.

So it is pretty dumb and utterly ridiculous to implement these changes to non-season.

You guys constantly prove time and time again that your "design goals" are not what players actually want, which is VERY apparent by the fact that you are barely starting to fix the game several years after release and dare I say a decade or more this game has been in supposed development.

My advice, if it is your design philosophy, go with the exact opposite, cause your taste in design is disgraceful. And I am not trolling or trash talking for the sake of getting my rocks off, you folks seriously have some fail design mentality.
Wouldn't it be easier to simply require all monsters spawned by "The Jar of Souls" to be killed to get quest completion?

The bounty usually requires monster kills and this extra caveat would be enough to reduce "power level" functionality? Not to mention the fact that it spawns an automatic elite.

I really hate to see this one outright removed, since it could be made less exploitable extremely easily.

On a secondary note:

This change should NOT be applied until the current season ends. I'm not playing seasons, so I don't really care about conquests or Seasonal players happiness. In fact I welcome them to misery; With that said, I do NOT think it's appropriate to change the rules in the middle of the game.
09/03/2014 07:21 PMPosted by FiveseveN

...We'd prefer not to have the most efficient way to level up to 70 be running same 1-4 bounties over and over again that just require you to move around, stay alive, and not actually kill any threats...

*edits for clarity

This seems counter-intuitive; I did level this way, and it was some of the most fun I have had playing D3 to date. It was high risk, high reward, and in my opinion, does not classify as an exploit like some previous approaches. Specifically, I had to take care in my build to get the most "evasion" out of my skills, and I had to maintain constant vigilance/focus in order to stay alive to get the reward. In my opinion, this counts as playing the game, and it definitely counted as "having fun."
In fact, it was really a win-win because (not including the first run through of the story) getting to the max level is completely un-fun. It is a waste of time for any player interested in the long game. If the rules to leveling are "you have to kill to get XP to get levels" then leveling will always feel like a worthless grind because every item less than "max level" is garbage once you hit 70. There is no continuous spectrum of item utility across the pre/post max level. If nothing find/do during leveling matters then leveling itself does not matter.
Moreover, leaderboards aside, there is no harm done in having fun by leveling in this manner because nothing that happens pre-max level matters; once you hit 70 is when the game starts for anyone who would even care about this technique as is.

Presumably people could use this to level into Paragon as well, but that seems like a less desirable option given that the gear find is significantly worse, and I think most people would prefer to find gear than find XP.

Now, if pre-max level gear mattered in some way then that would be different. If the longer I use a piece of gear the better or more unique/custom it is then that would be cool, and worthwhile ... though only to the people who value that sort of thing; for the others, I think they'd still prefer to get to 70 and get on with the game.

If its about leaderboards, disqualify me from them (or let me opt out from qualification), I didn't do it to get on a list (I didn't even start the season until the day after it started); I did it to save time and have fun. Now I play bounties/rifts/grifts like everyone else post-70 ... can anyone even tell the difference?

09/03/2014 07:21 PMPosted by FiveseveN

...We'd prefer not to have the most efficient way to level up to 70 be running same 1-4 bounties over and over again that just require you to move around, stay alive, and not actually kill any threats...

*edits for clarity

This seems counter-intuitive; I did level this way, and it was some of the most fun I have had playing D3 to date. It was high risk, high reward, and in my opinion, does not classify as an exploit like some previous approaches. Specifically, I had to take care in my build to get the most "evasion" out of my skills, and I had to maintain constant vigilance/focus in order to stay alive to get the reward. In my opinion, this counts as playing the game, and it definitely counted as "having fun."
In fact, it was really a win-win because (not including the first run through of the story) getting to the max level is completely un-fun. It is a waste of time for any player interested in the long game. If the rules to leveling are "you have to kill to get XP to get levels" then leveling will always feel like a worthless grind because every item less than "max level" is garbage once you hit 70. There is no continuous spectrum of item utility across the pre/post max level. If nothing find/do during leveling matters then leveling itself does not matter.
Moreover, leaderboards aside, there is no harm done in having fun by leveling in this manner because nothing that happens pre-max level matters; once you hit 70 is when the game starts for anyone who would even care about this technique as is.

Presumably people could use this to level into Paragon as well, but that seems like a less desirable option given that the gear find is significantly worse, and I think most people would prefer to find gear than find XP.

Now, if pre-max level gear mattered in some way then that would be different. If the longer I use a piece of gear the better or more unique/custom it is then that would be cool, and worthwhile ... though only to the people who value that sort of thing; for the others, I think they'd still prefer to get to 70 and get on with the game.

If its about leaderboards, disqualify me from them (or let me opt out from qualification), I didn't do it to get on a list (I didn't even start the season until the day after it started); I did it to save time and have fun. Now I play bounties/rifts/grifts like everyone else post-70 ... can anyone even tell the difference?

I started this Season with a Crusader using the miner's gold method, and yes you're so right man! I had so much fun doing this that I actually miss it.The rush of trying to stay alive, the rage of being dead when the quest finished. This will be a fond memory of Season 1 for me I had a great time and I didn't feel guilty about it because I wasn't cheating, and I knew just about everyone was doing it. Sorry to all the late comers to this Season Blizz ignored something that everyone and their Candy Crush loving mothers knew about before Season 1 started. Having a great time on season mode. I'm going to be so disgusted with myself when I check my hours played on my seasonal toon come friday at 9pm.
New plan: Abolish all levels or have everyone begin 70 already.

Seriously though, your philosophy is to have players have to endlessly grind for equipment (ahh I mean, like totally play through the story and do rifts for fun!) anyway so just remove the XP bonus for bounties and have it only apply to monsters and killing different 'types' of monsters increases the bonus. To be honest though, D3 was released broken and all they've done to 'improve' it has been nothing but minor cosmetics and accessories.

TL;DR: D3 fits the old saying "You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter".
09/03/2014 08:57 PMPosted by Zhenpo
All of you QQ'ing because you don't get to speed level are pathetic. My friends and myself hit level 70 in the first 10 hours of the season easily without using exploits like the rest of you choose to do. Play the game right and stop crying.

The way we choose to play the game is the correct way to play. Just cause you want to spend 10 hours leveling doesn't mean I want to spend 10 hours leveling and besides some seasonal achievement (omg) it literally does not affect you in the slightest.

You are the pathetic one thinking I have to enjoy a game the way you enjoy it. Sorry bud that is not how life works.

Don't worry you might start grasping this concept when you get older.
Greetings, nephalem!

One of our ongoing goals for Diablo III (and Seasons in particular) is to promote diversity in play styles and encourage a variety of experience whenever possible. In line with this goal, and as a direct result of your feedback from Season 1, we're in the process of implementing a series of hotfixes that will temporarily disable the following events as eligible bounties:

• The Matriarch's Bones
  • The Jar of Souls
  • The Miser's Will
  • A Miner's Gold

This change will apply to both Seasonal and non-Seasonal games. Additionally, please note that these hotfixes will only remove the above events from the active bounty pool, not the game itself. The events can still spawn in-game and will provide rewards as normal.

We don't have an ETA at this time for when these events will be re-added to the bounty pool, but are working to have them available for Season 2.

Looking Forward:

In Season 1, many players were able to quickly level their heroes and earn a coveted rank on the "Race to the Top" leaderboard exclusively by running the bounties in question. While we won't be removing any Conquest credit or ranking from players who chose to use this particular technique, we will be making changes to these bounties for future Seasons. The desire here is to help promote an environment where the most efficient way to play is also the most varied (and ideally the most fun too). With this, one of our goals for Seasonal Conquests is to encourage players to try out different tactics and explore different play styles, so we will be evaluating all Season 1 Conquests with that goal in mind and making changes for Season 2 as needed.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We'll continue to grow and improve Diablo III with your support, so please keep posting! In the meantime, we wish you glory and good fortune in Season 1, and good luck to those still racing for a spot on our current Conquest leaderboards.

See you in Sanctuary!

Could you please share with the group why, when this was reported countless times on the PTR as a problem, nothing was before 2.1 was released. Clearly if it's a hotfix it wasn't a big deal to handle before the patch.
09/03/2014 08:51 PMPosted by Starbûck
Does this mean you're actively going to buff build variety? because right now there is a lot of 1 build 1 set of gear, specially for monks.

I don't particularity enjoy spamming mantra while attack button down, nor should it be an intended design philosophy, Give me a reason to use other spirit spenders please.

ps. You have done good with buffs to monks, but you have some critical issues to solve still.

There are actually several builds for monks.

Only maybe 1 of them can get you 38+ GRIFT but outside of that there are at least 3-4 I can think of off the top of my head.

That aside I know what you mean. When it comes to maxing out G-rifts there is literally 1 build for each class that can even manage it.

So when it comes to design philosophy, I once again come full circle and ask, what design philosophy?
09/03/2014 09:02 PMPosted by Hecman

I started this Season with a Crusader using the miner's gold method, and yes you're so right man! I had so much fun doing this that I actually miss it.The rush of trying to stay alive, the rage of being dead when the quest finished. This will be a fond memory of Season 1 for me I had a great time and I didn't feel guilty about it because I wasn't cheating, and I knew just about everyone was doing it. Sorry to all the late comers to this Season Blizz ignored something that everyone and their Candy Crush loving mothers knew about before Season 1 started. Having a great time on season mode. I'm going to be so disgusted with myself when I check my hours played on my seasonal toon come friday at 9pm.

It reminds me of Inferno before it was nerfed.
Just... just make the elites that spawn with the events required to be killed for completion. That's all you had to do. That's all you've had to do since RoS launched. The issue is that people can powerlevel with these events because they don't require combat. So just... make them require combat. Like, literally require for the event *and thus, bounty) to complete. Why such a short-sighted and kneejerk reaction?
Removing these bounties from non seasons is asinine.
09/03/2014 09:37 PMPosted by Volpethrope
Just... just make the elites that spawn with the events required to be killed for completion. That's all you had to do. That's all you've had to do since RoS launched. The issue is that people can powerlevel with these events because they don't require combat. So just... make them require combat. Like, literally require for the event *and thus, bounty) to complete. Why such a short-sighted and kneejerk reaction?

They might end up doing that. The bounties aren't going away forever.

Though this should have been addressed before season 1. At least they're addressing it now. Better late then never.
09/03/2014 09:07 PMPosted by Reaper
09/03/2014 08:57 PMPosted by Zhenpo

The way we choose to play the game is the correct way to play. Just cause you want to spend 10 hours leveling doesn't mean I want to spend 10 hours leveling and besides some seasonal achievement (omg) it literally does not affect you in the slightest.

You are the pathetic one thinking I have to enjoy a game the way you enjoy it. Sorry bud that is not how life works.

Don't worry you might start grasping this concept when you get older.

1. You don't know how old I am so maybe you might grasp the concept of not assuming things about others before you know something because it makes you look like an idiot.

2. I've played the Diablo series from the beginning, If you don't like how your suppose to play the game then I suggest you go find a different game to play. The Diablo series has always been based on leveling up and finding gear to become stronger. Sorry to burn your breeches but the Ladder/Seasons in the Diablo series along with trading is exactly what made the series so popular. If you don't want to start over each season then go play WoW or some other game.

3. I totally agree Diablo 3 was absolute crap but they made leaps and bounds in the last year with new content and things they have been releasing. The ONLY thing at this moment that I feel they are missing is the ability to trade. And that's exactly what made Diablo 2 so successful is the ability to make games advertising what you want to trade, and being able to trade it so if someone else has an Item you want that you can't find maybe you have something they need as well.

(FYI Exploiting to level up faster isn't a playstyle, your exploiting something to get an advantage over other players who choose to play the game how it was meant to be played. Little bit of common sense...)
Greetings, nephalem!

One of our ongoing goals for Diablo III (and Seasons in particular) is to promote diversity in play styles and encourage a variety of experience whenever possible

Promoting diversity in play styles by getting rid of a play style. Yup, makes sense.
Good news really.

It's just sad it's been live while tons of players (myself, included) reported the issue during PTR... but nvm. We are used to this kind of thing :)
I am now resigned to just thinking as Diablo 3 as a Work In Progress. Trying new things all the time, so much is going to be missed by the devs.

It does bring to question on whether the devs actually listen to all the complaints. I'm in the mindset that they do, and their silence is their answer, because they want to see how it rolls out. This seems to be the case with many patches, and why there are hotfixes. That is one way to test out your game.

I admit that I find myself drawn to this game after being away for so long. It especially helps to be in a clan. But I can't help but think that I paid $100 to participate in a long-going beta.

I also admit that I do enjoy the fact that the game keeps changing to keep things fresh, and keeps adding things so that the game I bought becomes more and more throughout the years. But for all that they add, they also seem to take away something equivalent.

Oh well... At least they have no plans to abandon D3. That much I'll give Blizzard.