Remove Trial Rifts

General Discussion
1 2 3 15 Next
Highly Rated
They have to be one of the most pointless mechanics ever implemented into D3.

What's the logic behind it?

If I already did a GR30, why should I do a trial AGAIN?

Why can't I start at GR30 if I want to? I already prove "myself" so why would I do it hundreds of times again?

REMOVE THIS POINTLESS MECHANIC.

JUST GIVE US A SLIDER THAT MOVES UP TO THE HIGHEST RIFT WE HAVE ACHIEVED.

/rant

EDIT:
Since some people don't understand the issue with this mechanic, let me give you an example:

Let's say you just did a GR 35, but you would have needed 1 more minute to finish it in time.

Of course you want to try it again!

But before you can do that, a trial awaits you. And this is where the fun starts. NOT.

There is NO CHANCE WHATSOEVER that you can get a GR35 trial key the way trials are set up.

This means you will start somewhere around GR 25-30.

From 30 onwards, it gets really grindy, and you usually go up only 1-2 GR levels.

This means that you have to do a trial and two to three lower GRs in which you are not interested AT ALL before you can start where you had left.

This doesn't make any sense at all, wastes time and demotivates people to actually try their limits in greater rifts.

To the argument that "you get loot in the process": In the time you do those rifts, you would get 2-3 times the loot just running regular T6 rifts.

Also, people who want to aim for higher GRs are mostly not interested in loot anymore. They want to push their limits.

To the argument about upgrading your lower level gems:

There are only so much levels you can upgrade, right now I don't want to upgrade any gem. You will soon get there, too, and then you don't want to do lower level GRs because they can't upgrade your gem anyways.
Agreed!
Yeah, I'd have to agree here.
I play HC only, so my first Trial was a near-death, followed by an actual Rift which was my death, after the first pack.

The biggest confusion was not knowing exactly what each wave's relative difficulty amounted to, and not having any general idea how hard the mobs would hit inside the GRift itself.

Something along the lines of:
Wave 1 - Normal Difficulty
Wave 2 - Expert Difficulty
Wave 3 - Torment 1 Difficulty
Wave 4 - Torment 3 Difficulty
Wave 5 - Torment 5 Difficulty

Though this is just an example, its more or less how the encounter "Felt" once I started taking hits.
Knowing that I'd be entering a Correspondingly difficult GRift would have prompted me to change up my build a bit, or simply not do it at all.
I understand the concept behind Trials but I don't like the implementation. Maybe something like how Quests are done in quest mode? You can choose up to the highest/last one you've completed, or before that if you wish.

So get away with the trial keys and have that just be a generic Greater Rift key (like regular rift keys). When someone starts one at their level which is below yours, it gives you the invite with option to join at that level for a key.

I'd definitely prefer that since RNG can screw you on a high grift, and you have to redo levels 30, 32, 33, 34, 35 all over again and could easily get a sparsely populated grift or an all anarch/exarch grift.
They should give you an option to restart Trials or give you a default level rounded down based on your last Trial.

For example, if you hit Level 32 previously for Solo, it will give you a Level 30 Keystone.
If you don't want that, you redo the Trial to get a higher Level Keystone instead.
I thought it was a gear check to measure you to the appropriate difficulty? In a week you may have a better set of gear that would allow yo to run more difficult rifts. no?
+1

Grant everyone access to grift level 1. Once they complete a grift level N within 15 minutes they should be able to simply pick any grift level 1..N+1. Or instead of starting from level 1, base it on the highest difficulty level of a Nephalem Rift a player has managed to complete within 15 minutes.

The trial rift does nothing, achieves nothing and solves nothing. It shouldn't exist.
It's kind of convenient at first for someone, like me, who just started playing 2.1 and doesn't get a ton of time to play anymore, more GR lvls = more leg gems. At least until I get all the gems. Then I agree, it'll be annoying.
Trial rifts don't bother me. What bothers me is that the key doesn't ALWAYS fall. I can see them not always falling in sub T levels, but I have gone through several T2 and T3 Rifts with no Trial Key dropping. Kinda aggravating that I actually have run out of Trial Keys a couple of times, despite running many so many normal Rifts.
Gates... gates everywhere.
09/02/2014 01:15 PMPosted by Kyrone
JUST GIVE US A SLIDER THAT MOVES UP TO THE HIGHEST RIFT WE HAVE ACHIEVED.

yes please.
I agree as well. Worst thing about trials so far for me is they always put me at least 5 levels below my highest grift. It's kind of hard for melee to clear everything in time (at least for me it is).

+1 for the idea of a slider that lets you choose from level 1 to the highest level you cleared.
yeah, I agree-

I understand what they were aiming at with the trials, making it easy to skip the super easy levels when you're trying to push your max, but the rng requirement to get the trial key ruins it- there should be a separate grift pylon that we can hit with regular rift keys and it starts at level 1
Just change the trial key for a grift key with selectable level
09/02/2014 01:15 PMPosted by Kyrone
Why can't I start at GR30 if I want to? I already prove "myself" so why would I do it hundreds of times again?

So you want to continue doing the same Rift you failed until you beat it eventually, with no means of doing GRifts you're capable of beating? Do you also enjoy taking your head and repeatedly hitting a wall with it, until you knock it down?
No

Sometimes you want to start over to get more loot, sometimes you are not trying to push for max. And for hc players you dont want to be near the death point all the time anyway
I think they would have to adjust the reward system based on GR Level then (which I am not completely opposed to).
Simple fix. Allow us to keep the RKey we last completed. If we don't complete the rift then we can't upgrade the key. Simple as that and it didn't take a Rocket Scientist to come up with.

This will allow you to keep the trials for those that want to do them for lower key chances.
09/02/2014 03:15 PMPosted by Runeknight95
No

Sometimes you want to start over to get more loot, sometimes you are not trying to push for max. And for hc players you dont want to be near the death point all the time anyway

Please read the post again.

With a slider you could chose to do a Level 1 Greater rift up to the highest level you have ever beaten.