So how OP is Ignite with Static Discharge?

Wizard
Did anybody math this out?

I can't help myself but it does insane dmg compared to any other rune combination with those 2 skills.
what are u smoking OP?
yah...
OP,

Disregard the first two responses.

The answer is: Yes. It's been math'd out. It's enough to put the Firebird DoT on the table, at least within AT's smallish AoE.

Currently it's 540%/s * APS (breakpoints not withstanding), on the primary at least. Do not be surprised if this gets nerfed down the road though.

-dolynick
so, shpuld you stack fire%?
This sounds very interesting, more details?
What is the chance to proc on Ignite???
How OP could lightning mixed with fire be? Why not just use Flame ward or Electrify if you're going to go that route.. Then again if it's really that powerful it couldn't hurt to have half lightning half fire, guess I'll test this out with a Gogok's..
Can someone explain how this combo works exactly? How is it comparable to FB max dot dmg?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/14058637230#1

BDF does a better job of breaking down the math (scroll down) but in practice I reach perma dot pretty fast. Of course, sparkflint and blazar help a lot too.
Side note. The point of using ignite and FB with lightning builds is to augment the builds' weaker damage. I'm glad some other people are interested in my idea. Always looking for ways to improve it. Static discharge has a good proc rate thanks to the extra missiles. You can make it even better with attack speed if you have enough apoc and rcr.
09/11/2014 01:03 AMPosted by MasterJay
How OP could lightning mixed with fire be? Why not just use Flame ward or Electrify if you're going to go that route.. Then again if it's really that powerful it couldn't hurt to have half lightning half fire, guess I'll test this out with a Gogok's..

I didn't say it was "OP", just that it was pretty good. And if anything about this combo is OP, it's not Ignite, it's Static Discharge itself.

540% * APS is more fire damage being stacked than an Apocalypse. Pair it with a Blazar and you basically have the same FB stacking rate on your target but you're doing so with ~10x as much damage and a pretty good stun (if you're using Paralysis) for crowd control. Is it going to infinite DoT as fast as Flame Ward? Of course not. But it will allow permaDoT and crowd control in one neat little package.

It's drawback is that it's a much smaller AoE and that it's channeling. Even with the stun, channeling is going to bring risk as GR goes up. This is probably best suited as a support/dps build in group play, rather than something to go after the solo leaderboard with.

09/11/2014 06:22 AMPosted by solomon
How is it comparable to FB max dot dmg?

Max DoT is a function of mainhand damage and buffs. If you split fire% and lightning%, it's going to be a bit lower but otherwise there is no reason why your Max DoT has to be that much weaker.

09/10/2014 11:00 PMPosted by kokopuffs
so, shpuld you stack fire%?

I tend to split it with fire% and lightning%. About 40% and 40% respectively but it depends on your gear and which part of the damage you want to buff. Lightning% will buff the immediate damage, Fire% will buff the delayed/DoT damage.

Stacking Fire% does not really increase or decrease the FB stacking rate. It does increase the total damage of the temporary and permanent DoTs though.

TLDR;

It's an interesting and workable fire/lightning build that isn't going to turn the world upside down but does bring some good things to the table. It's a way to leverage firebird's without having to use a pure fire build.

-dolynick
Thx for all the replies.

So its like i thought, the bolts can proc stuff and the coefficient is quite high. Thats 3 projectiles with 6 bolts per channel round. Very interesting.

I should mention that i play vanilla on EU and therefore don't have FireBirds. So in vanilla fire builds are stronger dps wise but lack CC. What a strange philosophy.
And here comes the hybrid build into play! Lightning CC combined with fire DPS.
How cool would it be to have hybrid se.. oh wait! :D

But there is something else, maybe.

I play with 81% area damage and it looks like the bolts trigger this too.
Could it be that the bolts proc area damage based on the projectiles?
Wouldn't be the first case of Blizz oversights.

And last and THE least.

Lets lol at Arcane Orb :D