Focused Feedback: Any Gem Used to re-enchant @ mystic

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 10 Next
I have 1000+ of every gem, and I'm at 0 topaz now. All progress now halted because I can't roll my jewelry. Doesn't help that I had to use massive heaps of Topaz for my Wizard gear either.
Make the gem type required be the one you have most gems in the stash.
Agree, way less topaz and amy then the others.
09/09/2014 02:24 PMPosted by Cino
I have 1000+ of every gem, and I'm at 0 topaz now. All progress now halted because I can't roll my jewelry. Doesn't help that I had to use massive heaps of Topaz for my Wizard gear either.

yup.. it stinks :(
Guess why I rolled Demon Hunter for Season? It's not because of M6 (because I actually prefer FB and Jade)

It's because I wanted to play a range class AND have a supply of topaz to re-roll my rings and amulets.
09/09/2014 03:13 PMPosted by Soulfringe
Guess why I rolled Demon Hunter for Season? It's not because of M6 (because I actually prefer FB and Jade)

It's because I wanted to play a range class AND have a supply of topaz to re-roll my rings and amulets.

ive played DH since beta and im still out of topaz ^^ ALL due to unity and rorg require topaz to roll socket. Also because the most common amulets all req. topaz.
This is a topic that comes up with some frequency both internally and externally. We have plans for a future patch that will introduce more uses for any gem you have excess of as well as a way to increase your ability to get specific gems that you are lacking *read Topaz*.

As a general philosophy point, anytime we introduce mechanics that are intended to consume limited resources this is something that players will encounter. Whether it's gold, gems, or a specific crafting material, these are all meant to be gathered and consumed at varying rates. Inevitably, and intentionally, there will be times when you need more of some material than you have. The problem isn't that you are running out, the problem is when there is no mechanism for you to alter your gameplay to gather more of the thing you need. When you run out of blue material you start picking up blue items you were ignoring before, when you run out of gold you equip your Boon of the Hoarder if you've found one etc. The problem isn't that people are running low on Topaz from enchanting, the problem is that you have no way to increase the rate of Topaz you find when you want to. This is what we will be addressing in the future.
09/09/2014 03:51 PMPosted by Travis Day
This is a topic that comes up with some frequency both internally and externally. We have plans for a future patch that will introduce more uses for any gem you have excess of as well as a way to increase your ability to get specific gems that you are lacking *read Topaz*.
thx god lol ty for the update
They should let us use like a (gem) + 100k Gold to get (gem) so that if you have a lot of emeralds you can use them to get a topaz or ruby etc. of equal level
Travis,

To be fair, you guys also determine WHICH TYPE of gem we need to use at the mystic for re-rolling jewelry.

So it's great if you are adding something to allow us to 'target farm' a specific type of gem, but allowing us to also convert our existing (and future) stockpiles of gems to some other type would functionally do the same thing.

As would reshuffling around what type of gem is needed for any given necklace/ring... but then you will probably move the issue from topaz to some other color, depending on what the most popular/powerful jewelry needs to re-roll at the mystic.
I appreciate the response as well.

I wonder if introducing a mechanic that changes what a gem is would be of consideration, and by that I mean using, for instance, 3 amethysts to make 1 topaz of similar level, or something like that?
Suggestion: Jewler can craft new gems?

Emerald + Ruby = Topaz
Ruby + Topaz = Amethyst
Topaz + Emerald = Ruby
One of each = Diamond
etc, etc...

[/quote]

I tweeted to Wyatt Cheng that possibly Urshi of Greater Rift fame could have an option to upgrade gems to quickly upgrade gems to the quality you need. It sounds like the most reasonable way to proceed to me.

Also: YOU STOLE MY TREASURE GOBLIN AVATAR. This means war.

Signed Venaliter the Treasure Goblin on Twitter.

As a general philosophy point, anytime we introduce mechanics that are intended to consume limited resources this is something that players will encounter. Whether it's gold, gems, or a specific crafting material, these are all meant to be gathered and consumed at varying rates. Inevitably, and intentionally, there will be times when you need more of some material than you have. The problem isn't that you are running out, the problem is when there is no mechanism for you to alter your gameplay to gather more of the thing you need. When you run out of blue material you start picking up blue items you were ignoring before, when you run out of gold you equip your Boon of the Hoarder if you've found one etc. The problem isn't that people are running low on Topaz from enchanting, the problem is that you have no way to increase the rate of Topaz you find when you want to. This is what we will be addressing in the future.

I have one question.

Why the heck do you view that as a problem with gems, but not with, say, gear? By that I mean we don't have a mechanism to alter our gameplay to get the gear we need.
The problem isn't that people are running low on Topaz from enchanting, the problem is that you have no way to increase the rate of Topaz you find when you want to. This is what we will be addressing in the future.

PRAISE JEEBUS
IMO, they should do tertiary stats. That way magic find, gold find, thorns, lvl reduction and indestructible stats could stop being a waste of valuable itemization on people's end game gear (would have added movespeed, but paragon provides ways around that in a addition to enchanting). Move the magic and gold find gems to a new tertiary socket bonus. retroactively add sockets to all leg belts. Add a gem find, mat find and indestructible item gem bonuses to the list of tertiary gem bonuses from socketing a belt. This would help the issue some. Gold vendor for gems because we could use more uses for it. Bam, several issues would be tolerable (enchanting will still be awful though).

Also while you guys look into ways to allow people to more readily acquire gems that they need. Could you also look into making forgotten souls a little more accessible for those of us running low because of bad RNG or people just getting started? There really aren't any good options. T6 rifts and grifts are kind of crap shot (had some where I get lots of legendary items that are all salvaged and others where I get nothing). T6 caches aren't a good option either, since that's way too much work for a single Forgotten Soul and I still have over like 1.2k keys.
the problem is that you have no way to increase the rate of Topaz you find when you want to. This is what we will be addressing in the future.

Woot. So happy to see something like this is going to be implemented. However, I am a guilty hoarder. For 90% of my play time [~800 hrs] I have ALWAYS picked up every item dropped, albeit yellow, blue, white items or gems, death's breath, etc. I have roughly 10,000+ of each crafting material currently (Except forgotten souls). I also have 1,000+ of each gem in my bank. :)
Being able to farm a gem is nice. I think everyone would have just settled on either lowering the gem quality for re-rolls on mystic, or just changing the re-rolls to not consume primary stat gems.

But being able to farm for specific gems is much nicer, as eventually we will also run out of diamonds, and have excess of topaz/etc.
I still prefer lowering the gem requirement from flawless imperial to just imperial gems. If we weren't at the mercy of RNG, then maybe spending flawless imperial would seem less painful. But we are and it hurts.

It would be a nice improvement to be able to farm specific types of gems during gameplay, such as topaz or emerald. To me that only solves half the problem.
Please change gem drop rates to cater towards the class being played.
As far as I can tell, people *generally* want more of the Str/Dex/Int gems (whichever they use) than Amethysts or Diamonds (apart from say one main in the helm), so in my personal opinion, drop rates should be more along the lines of :
~ 30%-20%-15%, where the first number is the chance for the gem of the main stat type (e.g. Ruby for Barbarians), ~20% for Amethysts and Diamonds and 15% for the other two used the least for that class (e.g. Emerald & Topaz for Barbarians).

When looking at ratios of gems, I personally thought the ideal percentages would be
34-19-14 (34×1, 19×2 types, 14×2 types), but I can't test it, so you may deem that purely arbitrary.

If a (hypothetical) person mainly plays two classes (let's say Barbarian and Demon Hunter) with different main stats, currently, over the course of 100 gems with each character, they'd end up with 40 Rubies, 40 Emeralds and 40 of each of the others.
With my suggestion (second one), they'd end up with 48 Rubies, 48 Emeralds, 38 Amethysts, 38 Diamonds and 28 Topazes.
If they want topazes still for the helm or weapon (don't know why, really, but it's an example XD), they still get a reasonable amount, but definitely reduced, while they get a nice but not too drastic amount more of the two they use.
This way, you also allow people to specifically farm Str/Dex/Int gems if they desire, by swapping to a class that gets whichever gem more frequently.

(instead of 20% chance for each, regardless of the class being played, if that is the case)