Focused Feedback: Any Gem Used to re-enchant @ mystic

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 Next
@Lexa

Some good ideas about crafting and gem farming, but I'm not a big fan of your legendary gem, too OP for gem farming and too much bonuses aside.

Your gheed's theme item is a good idea, but I would prefer it to be a chest armor.

Like :

Gheed's Black Market Cloak

Primary:

- One of 3 Magic Properties :
+416–500 Dexterity
+416–500 Strength
+416–500 Intelligence

- Empty Socket (3)

Secondary :

- Increases Gold and Health Pickup by 4-6 Yards

+3 magic properties

Legendary effect :

Each gem of the same color socketed in Gheeds Black Market Cloak increases by 20-25% the chance that dropped gems will have the same color.
@Akrythael:
Whoops, I agree with your concerns about the gem. I made some mistake regarding the Level 25 bonus *now editing*...

To be clear:
First, I should have mentioned that I intended the bonus to only apply on normal gems and not legendary ones. The second thing is that I meant the other bonus to be an alternative. So it should be either increased speed/pickup or double loot. I don't think it's too OP then. Just take a good look at some leg gems that dish out damage...

Your idea with having a coat is nice as well, but I had a reason for taking a belt. That - as every slot - has its downsides as well, but If you use the chest piece and add a legendary power that depends on the number of gems socketed, you create a restriction as to what class you should play to use this item efficiently:
Let's say you play a wizard and need emerald or ruby for whatever reasons. You would be forced to put in those which gives you dex/str instead of int... that's going to have a significant impact on your main stat and thus dmg. Instead you get more armor. Can't say, I like that. If a DH needs topaz then socketing three of them in the coat is fine - despite you don't need int on a dex class.

The effect of the legendary power you suggested would be directing the player to a certain class for farming certain gems. What about amethyst and diamond then? That was my reason for not picking a slot which has multiple sockets but one that normally does not have a socket at all.
When you go for gem farming, you don't need to go in high tourment.

Just the fact that you want to farm and change one piece of stuff to do it (like with the Goldskin) make you lose some stats, so a little bit more or less ...

You want to farm gems, so you sacrifice some stats, I don't see where is the problem.

T1 is not an issue with only some few stats less.
09/09/2014 03:51 PMPosted by Travis Day
Inevitably, and intentionally, there will be times when you need more of some material than you have. The problem isn't that you are running out, the problem is when there is no mechanism for you to alter your gameplay to gather more of the thing you need.

To me it just doesn't make sense that Topaz were "inevitably and intentionally" designed to be the most limited commodity in terms of gems. Wouldn't that suggest a serious disadvantage to characters with the intelligence core stat and inhibit game balance? I would agree that "The problem isn't that you are running out, the problem is when there is no mechanism for you to alter your gameplay to gather more of the thing you need," if every time I logged in I was going "damn, I need more Gems" not just "I need topaz."

While being able to target farm for a specific gem type (i.e. topaz) could potentially provide a means to mitigate this bottleneck, I think the deeper issue that causes this is the imbalance of gem requirements for crafting jewelry. The two most commonly used rings (in solo play anyways) are Unity and the Ring of Royal Grandeur, also so are most of the high-end Amulets, i.e. haunt of vaxo, most of the immunity amulets, etc. If every jewelry randomly rolled which gem type it needed for crafting upon identification (or whenever the item is "rolled") I think there would be a much more even draw upon your gem resources over time. In which case, by now I'd probably complaining that there weren't enough gems XD. In which case, having a way to target farm gems as suggested (I was thinking similar to the boon of the hoarder legendary gem) would make sense. In essence, it would be most beneficial to the game if there were both a more balanced draw on gems in terms of crafting, and there was a means of target farming all gems when resources run low (i.e. "alter your gameplay to gather more of the thing you need")

I really hope someone reads this as I sincerely think its a plausible and logical solution to the topaz bottleneck, and should improve desirability for all gems and increase game balance overall. I hope this doesn't come off as antagonistic or critical, I think the team has done excellent work and I appreciate the time you all take to continuously improve the product, I just want this aspect of the game to be more balanced and fun farming, as opposed to frustrating.
What the OP said needs to be a thing very soon, not Blizzard soon™.
Not in this week patch?
Would it not be a good idea to add a Gem Merchant, so we can use the abundance of gold we have collected and buy Marquise Gems that we may need for Myriam's pocket?
Agreed. I actually would prefer to see the gem requirement remove completely.
Just out of curiousity.

We have 2 neutral gems, i.e. amethyst & diamond, that are not primary stats.

So...

Why utilize topaz, which is INT primary stats, for enchantment of jewelry?

Why use a primary stat specifically for Wiz & WD? The benefits are pretty clear for non Wiz and WD classes.

Whats the reasoning for this choice?

Perhaps you can share your reasoning Blizz? =)
just buy more topaz on the RMAH.....
09/18/2014 07:30 PMPosted by KwShinigami
just buy more topaz on the RMAH.....
09/18/2014 06:00 PMPosted by Blakey
We have 2 neutral gems, i.e. amethyst & diamond, that are not primary stats.
While you certainly have a point, the real problem is different. The fact that the int class gem is used just makes it harder for those who play theses classes. But after some time you will have enough gems for your wd/wiz gear and afterwards you don't need topaz anymore.

The real problem is not the fact that a specific ring/amu uses topaz. That would be ok if there are others that do use different colors. The issue is that at present popular rings/amus like SOJ, RoRG, Unity or Vaxo all use the same color. And this mere fact applies to all classes. Even barbs or monks will run out of topaz if they re-enchant those items. Shifting to a different type of gem like diamond would create the same problem there since you still won't have means of increasing your chance to get that specific gem.

So you need countermeasures, something like this:
• target farming of a certain gem color
• transformation of gems from one color to another
• get the mystic to choose different gem every time you enchant
• reduce or even remove the gem costs for enchanting
• make enchanting less random to reduce mat consumption

I don't think gem costs should be removed/reduced. These are meant as a gem sink and that's ok in itself. The problem is that the system is flawed right now. It sucks up way too much topaz compared to all other gems. This combined with the fact that you can't use other gems and/or increase your chance to loot topaz creates a shortage.

My choice would be a mixture of target farming and a way to transform your gems to get the gem consumption back into balance.

Someone suggested gem transmog... I agree to that, maybe like this:

Marquise + Breath of Death = Marquise of your choice
Imperial + 2x Breath of Death = Imperial of your choice
Flawless Imperial + 3x Breath of Death = Flawless Imperial of your choice

You can add gold to that formula. If Blizz would allow mass crafting of higher gems, this would be a simple and fast solution and - tada - you even make good use of BoDs.
You know this is what magic find was for when loot searching for specific colored items. Course there was no way to target gems except for the fact that you could trade almost any leg for af ew pgems.
WIthout the ability to trade with your fellow player and magic find/no magic find not effecting the loot types, boa will continue to rear its ugly head in throwing a wrench in your plans.
Why punish Wizards and Witch Doctors unfairly with
a topaz requirement.

Just allow any gem type, problem solved.
I personally would rather see more of way to use the useless gems or combine gems to make them more powerful.

I.E.
Flawless Royal Emerald + Flawless Royal Ruby + 100million gold (or whatever 100x death's breath) = Emerald infused Ruby

130% crit damage + 280 weapon damage, socketed into a weapon. This would allow people to have an upgrade path, perhaps even stagger it, so it takes more gems/gold to upgrade.

I have an abundance of gems and death's breath, once you get your gear to top tier, gems almost become useless, it's a week before you get that next ammy/ring drop that you need to reroll and you have more than enough gems then.

I was also thinking for legendary gems, you could have the percent chance and add a death's breath to add 1% chance to succeed per death's breath up to 100%. So say you only have 1% chance to upgrade add 99 death's breath and the chance becomes 100%. Gives a massive sink to death's breath where currently there isn't and people have 1000's of the things.

I look forward to the changes either way.
09/17/2014 02:27 AMPosted by Akrythael
@Lexa

Some good ideas about crafting and gem farming, but I'm not a big fan of your legendary gem, too OP for gem farming and too much bonuses aside.

Your gheed's theme item is a good idea, but I would prefer it to be a chest armor.

Like :

Gheed's Black Market Cloak

Primary:

- One of 3 Magic Properties :
+416–500 Dexterity
+416–500 Strength
+416–500 Intelligence

- Empty Socket (3)

Secondary :

- Increases Gold and Health Pickup by 4-6 Yards

+3 magic properties

Legendary effect :

Each gem of the same color socketed in Gheeds Black Market Cloak increases by 20-25% the chance that dropped gems will have the same color.

So if im DH and i need topaz i would have to equip intel gems no thx we dont need cloak/chest or any other gear.What should have been done its either addding another legendary gem giving you 100% more gems or we should be able to purchase gems from vendor for reasonable prize.
Bump

I'm all in for no gems needed for enchanting rings/ammys. Makes more sense (and probably quicker to implement) than the other suggested solutions.

But since Blizzard like to make frustrating games nowadays, it'll either never get fixed or fixed in a way that create more frustration for the already dwindling player base.
It would be extremely nice to also trade all these gems i have for gems that i actually want to use or need. A gem trading NPC would be nice or however it is implemented
Maybe they could introduce Plans for the Mystic like the bonus Transmogs you got for preordering RoS. In this case an Enchanting Plan of Auto Socketing that could be dropped for each gem type. These learnt plans would be on a 3rd tab on the Mystics menu.

When learnt by the Mystic she could then replace an existing Primary property with a Socket where this would normally be allowed but without the random element. However this would require a Flawless Royal Gem of a type you select from the Plans you have managed to find.

This would give players a chance to pay a higher cost, FRG=9xFIG, but guarantee the outcome and spread this cost over different gem types once all the plans have been found.

Once this system is in place new plans can then be created to fix any other issues that arise in the future and also allow new Tramsmog to be added as well.
thanks for patch 2.1.1 :)