Holiday/Community Event Ideas

General Discussion
We just wrapped up a second community buff event. This time, we didn't keep the buff, and I kinda like that. If it's something that happened on a regular basis, I would be really excited and looking forward to certain times of the year. Here are some ideas I'd like to see implemented and even repeated. I tried to make them reflect the event/holiday. I included months because one event for a month seems like a nice pace. That said, I'm not suggesting the bonus needs to last that long. Also, I tried to balance US holidays with an international theme too (well, at least things that people could relate to around the world).

New Year's Day/January - Quadruple the experience bonus for any character under 70
Valentine's Day/February - Double multiplayer bonus
St. Patricks Day/March - Double goblin spawn and increased gold find
Easter/April Showers/April - Quadruple the likelihood the objects "explode" with gold and give enemies a chance to explode with gold as well
Diablo's Birthday/May - Double the leg drop rate and shard rewards
4th of July (Independence Day)/July - gold find, magic find, and experience bonus buff when playing solo
Back to school/August - Double the materials yielded from salvaging and two mats of the same kind drop instead of one
Labor Day/September - Bounties yield two caches instead of one
Halloween/October - Double the imperial gem drop rate and two gems drop instead of one
Thanksgiving/Fall Harvest/November - Double organ drop rates and two organs and keys drop instead of one
Christmas/December - Double (or triple) Ramalandi's Gift drop rates, and when a chest spawns, another one of the same type spawns as well (kudos to CheezusCrust for the chest idea).

I don't really have anything for June. Without getting into politics, it is gay pride month so there could be something that interacts with Whimsyshire (due to the rainbow colors, not enemies), like allow players to enter the realm without a staff of herding and increase the drops needed for crafting the staff of herding. Less controversial, it's dairy month so it could be 10 times the likelihood of getting the cow rift.

What are your ideas? Like these? Let me know! :)

Check out another on-topic thread by Haeos http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/14278968328?page=1
I really Like this idea every now and then I see World of Warcraft do there little event why not Diablo 3? this is really good idea
Hanukkah event should allow a second legendary gem to drop per account per character.
Inb4 "Not everyone who plays celebrates those American holidays!"

Well suggest some events to take place on some of you countries holidays as well. Just because I don't celebrate it doesn't mean I would dislike the buff for it.

OT: Spiffy list Op, I like that you tried to make each buff have something to do with said hliday.
This deserves a +1
some just feel too underwhelming for me to look forward to. like the january, april, august, and quite frankly october november and december as well. the others are pretty cool. multiplayer bonus, double goblin, and double cache all are good ideas. independence would benefit me as i generally play solo, but eh, nothing great. some cool ideas here. hopefully they have more frequent events.
Event - Monsters now drops Miracle Potion

Miracle Potion - increase chance to get legendary gear from Kadala by 200% for 100 items.
Christmas: When you kill an Elite there's a chance you will summon 3 Treasure Goblins. Do not work on Greater Rifts.

Halloween: Chance to open a portal to the Underworld when you kill a Demon or Undead.
Great suggestions, OP.

I think running special weekend events would be awesome. Once a month maybe? Even though I work every weekend (bleh), it still would be cool to come home and have something to look forward to that's different.
09/14/2014 09:44 AMPosted by ArcticShadow
Great suggestions, OP.

I think running special weekend events would be awesome. Once a month maybe? Even though I work every weekend (bleh), it still would be cool to come home and have something to look forward to that's different.

Would be awesome to have a 1 hour buff at a random time of the day or something like that. Imagine yourself playing as usual then a sneaky buff appears: Treasure Goblins drop 10000% more gold
for xmas you can make it so we can open chests twice, like you open it and everything spills out then it closes and we can open it again for even more stuff
09/12/2014 05:12 PMPosted by Landusk
I really Like this idea every now and then I see World of Warcraft do there little event why not Diablo 3? this is really good idea

Gee maybe because WoW is an MMorpg and D3 is a simple hack and slash. I guess the fact that I pay a sub for WoW may factor in. We get events fro ever major holiday, I think brew fest and Halloween are up next. Then thanksgiving and xmas.

All these take a lot of effort and time to implement, even the ones we have had for years have new content.

Besides Blizzard knows that it would only be more for the D3 community to whine about. Seasons is an example of that.
make legendary items have 1 roll max for each item that drops.

Example: if Amulet drop with 8 to 10 crit chance, in the community event, it would drop only 10% crit chance

So one random roll on the legendary items would roll max during community buff.
09/09/2014 02:59 PMPosted by WarMonkey
St. Patricks Day/March - Double goblin spawn and increased gold find

meh, just make potions give your character tons more strength and taunt
09/09/2014 02:59 PMPosted by WarMonkey

I don't really have anything for June. Without getting into politics, it is gay pride month so there could be something that interacts with Whimsyshire (due to the rainbow colors, not enemies), like allow players to enter the realm without a staff of herding and increase the drops needed for crafting the staff of herding. Less controversial, it's dairy month so it could be 10 times the likelihood of getting the cow rift.

I chuckled at this one.

Some of these ideas are good but I doubt this will happen simply because blizzard tries to cater to other countries and some of those countries do not celebrate these holidays. When your a big company like blizzard and u cater to other countries it is best to stay neutral as much as possible so that you dont get any flack for not celebrating a holiday that is important to that country.
Community Event:
Kadala sells uber keys or uber machines (for example: 250 shards for one machine )
You could use the PTR infrastructure for some real fun.

How about a week of launch day Diablo on PTR? With original Inferno and all the good stuff. Let's see who kills Inferno Diablo first!

Or a D3 1.x final day event. If you kept the backups. Everybody gets the profile he had the day before 2.0 went life. Lets spin our WW barbs and CM wizards once again!
09/12/2014 07:47 PMPosted by EPiCSMoKE
some just feel too underwhelming for me to look forward to. like the january, april, august, and quite frankly october november and december as well.

That's intentional (sort of). Not all of these will appeal to everyone, every month. I mostly play solo so February's bonus wouldn't benefit me much. However, I know that it does benefit others. October and November can be very useful to some people. Looking at December though, it is lackluster (I'll update that suggestion).

I wanted to balance my ideas with things that Blizz would be more likely to implement. I'd love to kill a Santa-hat wearing Ghom in a red suit and get an explosion of loot but I don't think that Blizz would implement it. I'm definitely not against those suggestions though ;)

That's why I focused on events that were bonuses or find increases over new calls for new content. You are right though that that assumption does make them more dull.

09/14/2014 09:44 AMPosted by ArcticShadow

Personally, I think it should last a little longer than a weekend. I think it should be at least Thursday to Tuesday, but ideally, I'd like to see it last a week and a half - Thursday to the second Tuesday following it.

09/14/2014 11:17 AMPosted by CheezusCrust
for xmas you can make it so we can open chests twice, like you open it and everything spills out then it closes and we can open it again for even more stuff

I like the direction of this suggestion! Instead of opening the chest twice, how about two chests spawn instead of one? I'm adding this to the December suggestion. Great Idea!

09/15/2014 02:56 AMPosted by StuRedman
You could use the PTR infrastructure for some real fun.

How about a week of launch day Diablo on PTR? With original Inferno and all the good stuff. Let's see who kills Inferno Diablo first!

That'd be kind of cool!