Mantra of: Healing vs Salvation

Monk
Basic maths:

Every cast of Mantra of Healing pops a bubble. You cast Mantra 2x/sec pretty much constantly.

Mantra of Salvation spamming is just permanent 20% more resistance uptime. casting it once/3sec or 2x/sec is no different (except damage from SWK obviously).

This, in my head, makes me think MoH is significantly better because of the potential total mitigation. I've run both anecdotally back and forth and am not sure which we all prefer. My resistances aren't great, but when I run without MoH I definitely feel like I take more damage.
Essentially I assume I take more damage than the 60k or whatever MoH bubble is worth and recasting it every half second constantly fights off that damage.

I guess if you have enough LoH/LpSS/LpS it makes salvation better due to mitigation? thoughts?
I did the math on this but I don't have the numbers on-hand. Basically, Mantra of Healing bubble is more efficient at lower difficulties where the bubble mitigates most of the incoming damage. However, at higher difficulties, the percentage reduction from Mantra of Salvation 40% Resist plus 20% Armor is the better choice when your incoming damage numbers are massive and you are really trying to avoid one-shot deaths.

Perhaps I am wrong, in which case I would be happy to hear more accurate information.
09/12/2014 01:40 PMPosted by TheWitty
I did the math on this but I don't have the numbers on-hand. Basically, Mantra of Healing bubble is more efficient at lower difficulties where the bubble mitigates most of the incoming damage. However, at higher difficulties, the percentage reduction from Mantra of Salvation 40% Resist plus 20% Armor is the better choice when your incoming damage numbers are massive and you are really trying to avoid one-shot deaths.

Perhaps I am wrong, in which case I would be happy to hear more accurate information.

No you're right. When the incoming damage gets to a certain level Salvation will be the better choice as it reduces the damage by the same percent no matter how much it is. With MoH's bubble, you can only stack the shield so high, it's a static number and the harder an enemy hits the lower the percent of damage mitigated.
I think LPSS and life on hit can be attained through gear which makes salvation better. Just my opinion though. WIth BT pants and belt i was getting 20k loh
Yup.. this makes sense. I figured it was more efficient until you get to the point where the damage the 20% (40%) would mitigate exceeds your ability to mitigate it without Salvation and thus healing becomes obsolete.. makes sense
that and the 35% dodge on Agility rune is (ironically) very powerful, as going from 0 to 35% dodge makes a big difference on the higher levels. Same reason people grab the dodge proc DS.
09/12/2014 02:10 PMPosted by Bacon
that and the 35% dodge on Agility rune is (ironically) very powerful, as going from 0 to 35% dodge makes a big difference on the higher levels. Same reason people grab the dodge proc DS.

Yup.. I had originally been using Salv/Agility for Season Monk but swapped to MoH cuz it seemed to keep me up easier. Haven't spent a ton of time in higher Grifts yet so I guess it's time to swap to salvation soon.
Well, but the shield scales with mitigation, if you have 300k hp and can take 3 hits before dying because your mitigation is very high, spamming a shield that will give you 150k lps can be huge, but I´m not sure our mitigation can go that high, maybe a party with two monks would be ideal for the shield + 40% res
09/12/2014 02:39 PMPosted by Tubs
Well, but the shield scales with mitigation, if you have 300k hp and can take 3 hits before dying because your mitigation is very high, spamming a shield that will give you 150k lps can be huge, but I´m not sure our mitigation can go that high, maybe a party with two monks would be ideal for the shield + 40% res

yeah I think the issue is mitigation essentially caps out (from gear) at the point where MoH will still be inferior. Now.. if only they'd.. yaknow.. allow us to spam spenders instead of mantras and have Inna's 4 piece.. we might have enough passive mitigation to survive.. hahaha, sorry. Got super carried away there thinking Blizz might actually fix this jerry-rigged spirit spamming any time soon.. whew.. Sorry bout that.
09/12/2014 02:49 PMPosted by Mals
09/12/2014 02:39 PMPosted by Tubs

yeah I think the issue is mitigation essentially caps out (from gear) at the point where MoH will still be inferior. Now.. if only they'd.. yaknow.. allow us to spam spenders instead of mantras and have Inna's 4 piece.. we might have enough passive mitigation to survive.. hahaha, sorry. Got super carried away there thinking Blizz might actually fix this jerry-rigged spirit spamming any time soon.. whew.. Sorry bout that.

Heck, even changing the 3 piece bonus part that effects SW would do.

honestly, I think that spawning clones should be based off of the unmodified cost of our skills rather than what it is after reductions like this. Admittedly, this would make this more than a little TOOOOO powerful, as the nearly infinite clones this would let us make might be a bit crazy even in GR40+, but it just seems stupid that we're penalized for using what would otherwise be an incredibly useful gear set....
you didnt really mention the 35% dodge rune and avoiding 100% damage every few attacks, right now i'm have the most success with that mantra/rune
Dont forget that MoH helps out allies a ton... running with my wizard friend on gr 26 ... if he doesnt have my bubble on him he drops health real fast. Of course i play HC so opinions will vary but for solo I will def be trying salvation
If you DW and use Guardian's path your combined Dodge is 52%