Success of Grift = DENSITY

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 14 Next
Have to say I am just now seeing this post and it's rather funny.

The leaderboards are skewed to a degree (5%? Maybe? 35%? Possibly?) because of Density. It's all about luck what you get and how much of it. You get a lot of skeles and summoners? Pew pew! Have a good day and welcome to one of the top for the Grift level you are on.

RNG + Grifts = Some of the top grifters simply grifting enough to get REALLY lucky. :-)
09/15/2014 11:46 AMPosted by Kambien
RNG + Grifts = Some of the top grifters simply grifting enough to get REALLY lucky. :-)

Exactly. Once again it is "time spend/wasted" that matters most.
Maps need to be smaller, so classes that can't move around as quickly aren't punished as severely when they die. Ran a GR 33 a while ago and ran into a duo pack of elites both with Mortar and killed me before I knew what happened. Three and a half minutes later I got back to my body.

And has been said before, density plays a huge role in how well one can do in GRifts. It's quite frustrating when I want to challenge myself in a higher GRift and only fail because mobs are so insanely far apart.
sometimes you'll be lucky, sometimes not... whats the problem ? its not like GRift keys are hard to get.

what's your proposal ? make all Grifts the same ? same monsters and same map ?

if your complain was about the Shrines inside Grifts, I would agree with you. Take a conduit shrine and you got a unfair advantage.
Couldn't agree more. Please fix this ASAP, Blizzard!
They should just make it so that you stay in one general area and they pour monsters of all kinds out. from every direction (kind of like in the keystone trials). Kill enough of them + the RG in 15 minutes and you get to upgrade keystone. No more getting screwed with bad maps or empty maps.
09/15/2014 03:11 PMPosted by Shiva
sometimes you'll be lucky, sometimes not... whats the problem ? its not like GRift keys are hard to get.

what's your proposal ? make all Grifts the same ? same monsters and same map ?

if your complain was about the Shrines inside Grifts, I would agree with you. Take a conduit shrine and you got a unfair advantage.

A little randomness is okay, but it is simply annoying when you enter a grift where you barely encounter any monsters.. Or where all the monsters are the high HP type. Its not that the rifts should all be the same, its the fact that each monster should offer a certain reward modifier, and that density should be standardized. That way, it wouldn't be about luck.
At least take the Whimseydale map out of there. I'm sure everybody just sprints to the exit or remakes when they draw this map.
Why does blizz even have a PTR?

Known issues ignored,
players ignored. = borked season / borked paragon....

Imho this all could have been avoided w/ a little work ethic.
Hey guys, thanks for your ongoing feedback on density in Greater Rifts. Finding the ideal density for every map for every player is not something we're likely to perfect in one fell swoop, but we are listening and will indeed be making adjustments to Greater Rift monster density in future patches.

I realize it may be frustrating for some not to have an exact deadline for when monster density will be "just right," but it's going to be an ongoing process, and we'll continue to iterate on density (and the Greater Rift experience as a whole) with help from your feedback.
09/15/2014 06:00 PMPosted by Tyvalir
Hey guys, thanks for your ongoing feedback on density in Greater Rifts.

While this is not something we're likely to perfect in one fell swoop, we will indeed be making adjustments to Greater Rift monster density in future patches.

I realize it may frustrating not to have an exact deadline for when monster density will be "just right," but we'll continue to iterate on it with help from your feedback.

More Elites would be great!
may frustrating
09/15/2014 06:20 PMPosted by Dakewlguy
may frustrating

While this is not something we're likely to perfect in one fell swoop, we will indeed be making adjustments to Greater Rift monster density in future patches.

I realize it may frustrating not to have an exact deadline for when monster density will be "just right," but we'll continue to iterate on it with help from your feedback.

Couple things to start with:

Remove Cave of Araenae and Whimsyshire tileset. Two major red flags with this one, first that because its almost all narrow passages, its quite often poorly populated, or populated mostly with little-benefit trash demons like imps, shadelings and spiderlings. Whimsyshire especially so for whatever reason. Two, both these maps are full of dead-ends and making a wrong turn can cost a lot of runback time. A map should never exist where dying and respawning at the entrance is a faster choice than running to where you need to go.

Balance needs to be adjusted for mob types. Rifts full of act 1 and 3 mobs are miles easier to progress through than act 2 (somewhat), 4 or 5. Little is more depressing than a rift full of morlu incinerators, sand wasps and corrupted angels. Act 5 mobs are miles more potent than their other act counterparts, stacked side by side. One solution may be to increase the variety of mobs within a single rift level to avoid wading through an entire level of garbage.

Finally, and a personal gripe, but the greater rift guardian needs to spawn ON your character. Too many times its spawned two miles away on an act 5 (westmarch or pandemonium) or act 3 tower map.

If you could just eliminate having close to 60 second walks through the rift without finding a single monster to kill, thatd be great.

Always nice to see a Blue chime in.

But if I may ask, why exactly is this just NOW being realized? This issue was discovered very early on in PTR and there were numerous threads on the subject... why wasn't the issue solved or at least mostly fixed at that point? The PTR lasted how long again?

This is very similar to how the bounties which produced very quick speed leveling was disabled after the season was already well in progress, which was also pointed out very early on in PTR.

Gross oversights by the QA department.
I jumped right into Rifts when the patch hits without reading any info about it. As the name suggests, though, I expected a !@#$load of monsters and a great number of elite packs coming from another dimension... a Rift.

I wasn't disappointed. My first rift was intense - I hit the huge square-grid map with elite packs every 10 steps, and the mobs that pop out of the ground through some dimensional black holes. It pushed me to my limit and I loved the intensity of it. Man, THAT's a rift. %^-*load of mobs and elites. No time to rest.

I soon found out that it wasn't standard and what I experienced is quite rare...so I'd really like Blizzard to create maps that are similar to the grid or the cemetery with loads of mobs & elites AND a simple map. No mazes, no obstacles (got I hate Arachnee cave).
I wouldn't think it was that hard to change how many monsters spawn on each level of a Grift. I don't care if they are all clumped together or spread out, but you shouldn't have to run through 5 levels trying to find enough to kill and trigger the guardian. I swear they have one guy working on it and he has been on vacation or leave of some sort since halfway through the PTR.