Blood Shard Prices

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 26 Next
travis, while that idea is inherently POSITIVE

the actual real time stats ive been seeing so far dont reflect your actual numbers

the rift guardians drop maybe 1 or two extra veiled crystals. kadala still only gives you a handful of yellows. and it feels like blood shards are a waste.

like when you go to a fast food place and they charge 10 bucks for a combo. and you get this hand sized burger.

this change also hurts lower torment players more. because even at T6 im feeling like my blood shards mean nothing.

getting 500 shards means i get see see maybe 1 or 2 legendaries.

and for the casual player. they get to see 1 yellow. MAYBE 2.
09/23/2014 12:17 PMPosted by Seal
I am going to assume you meant 3/1 more legs because 1/3 would be a huge nerf considering that wench hardly ever gave me legs in the first place.

I think he meant 1.334x as many legendaries
09/23/2014 12:11 PMPosted by Travis Day
For the same number of shards as before players will now walk away with 1/3 more legendary items.

So you increased blood shard price by 400%... while increasing drop chance by 33%? Am I reading this right? I hope not. Amulets now cost a whooping 100 shards to gamble, while Torment 4 rift bosses dropped, at best 76 shards. So, basically, assuming 75 shards per boss, at 500 shards maximum capacity for storage, I need to run seven instances (losing 50 shards from the last boss due to reaching maximum capacity), just so I can gamble on only 5 amulets?

I much preferred the old method. At least it gave me the illusion of having more chances of winning something good since it was cheap.
Damnit. I mainly used kadala to get rares, so I could get more veiled crystals. /sadpanda
RAISE

THE

BLOODSHARD

CAP
09/23/2014 12:13 PMPosted by Goodbrew
TLDR - You get more items than you used to!

Over the long term. But in the short term, some players will experience bad RNG and it will look like a much worse system. So be prepared for a lot more complaint threads over the next couple weeks.

The problem with that is people need those crafting materials in the short term so playing the "wait and see" option isn't the most ideal way for them.

If these changes are indeed found to have a negative impact, perhaps the team can look into increasing the amount of materials obtained from salvaging or decreasing the crafting/mystic requirements.
Hey there I see a lot of threads popping up on this topic so I wanted to stop in for a visit and explain the changes. The Kadala change is primarily meant to be a quality of life change for players. Having to fill up your inventory and run back and forth to the blacksmith could be a mildly cumbersome experience and we wanted to improve that. All items on Kadala had their cost increased, when this was done the chance for her to give you items was also increased but by more than the cost justified. For the same number of shards as before players will now walk away with 1/3 more legendary items.

Since we wanted this change to be purely better for players and we know that many people get their crafting materials from Kadala we also decided to add a lot of extra crafting reagent drops to Greater and normal Rift Guardians. The overall impact should be that you are getting roughly the same amount of crafting materials, except instead of getting primarily yellow mats like Kadala gives you, the mats on the Guardians could be white, blue, or yellow. This should help even out the quantities of assorted material types instead of flooding players with just one type like Kadala was inclined to do.

We will continue keeping on eye on all the effects of the changes. If we find that these changes had any meaningful negative impact on the ability for players to generate crafting materials we will make further tuning adjustments to the amount of material dropped by Rift Guardians.

Great change! For those who are actually playing the game and the majority are reporting very good things out of this. I wish those who were complaining would go home and try playing before jumping to conclusions.

You rock D3 Dev Team!
Was running back and forth from Kadala to the blacksmith something that was really cumbersome for players that this type of change was really needed? I can only speak for myself, but it's not like Kadala was only in Act 5 and the Blacksmith was only in Act 1 and you had to run a long ways. They're literally seconds away from each other and you click 2 or 3 buttons. Over the course of an evening, 3 2/3rd's of a second will now be saved.

The QoL change was the salvage all. And there are so many QoL changes that would be so nice in the game. How many topics have been done about asking for an option to turn off auto-picking up potions? How many topics about the cumbersome system of upgrading gems? Requests for auto-picking up crafting mats?

There are much bigger QoL items that would have 0 negative side effects at all and absolutely no one would complain about, and things this game has needed or been requested since launch for QoL improvements.

I'm just sad those Quality of Life items that seem so obvious to everyone goes ignored, yet something virtually no one wants is what is changed.

Disappointing.
09/23/2014 12:20 PMPosted by Drunkenfox
So you increased blood shard price by 400%... while increasing drop chance by 33%?

No, what he said was, they increased the drop rates proportionally to the costs, AND THEN, just to be safe, they increased by an extra 33%.

Suppose you'd spend 1000 shards and get 3 legendaries before the change.

After the change, it is their hope that you spend 1000 shards and get roughly 4 legendaries, despite the change in prices.
Posted by Travis Day
Hey there I see a lot of threads popping up on this topic so I wanted to stop in for a visit and explain the changes. The Kadala change is primarily meant to be a quality of life change for players. Having to fill up your inventory and run back and forth to the blacksmith could be a mildly cumbersome experience and we wanted to improve that. All items on Kadala had their cost increased, when this was done the chance for her to give you items was also increased but by more than the cost justified. For the same number of shards as before players will now walk away with 1/3 more legendary items.

Since we wanted this change to be purely better for players and we know that many people get their crafting materials from Kadala we also decided to add a lot of extra crafting reagent drops to Greater and normal Rift Guardians. The overall impact should be that you are getting roughly the same amount of crafting materials except instead of getting primarily yellow mats like Kadala was include to give those mats on the Guardians could be white, blue, or yellow. This should help even out the quantities of assorted material types instead of flooding players with just one type like Kadala was inclined to do.

We will continue keeping on eye on all the effects of the changes. If we find that these changes had any meaningful negative impact on the ability for players to generate crafting materials we will make further tuning adjustments to the amount of material dropped by Rift Guardians.

i didnt see the increase legendary item rate from Kadala i spent 400bs on her an not the first legendary ...plus all blizz done was make it harder for the casual player
09/23/2014 12:16 PMPosted by Eyan

Can you make one of those items Witching Hour pretty please?

RNG rates are rigged so very good items are much more rare than the rest of (trash tier) legendary.

so you could say the whole game is rigged that you have to play more.

how about you make all dropchances equal? not more tiered drops and the game would feel much more natural.
rng should be real rng not ... a lot of bad filler legendary drops and each week one good legendary. :D
09/23/2014 12:15 PMPosted by OmegaPeralis
Then why bother? if you scaled the drop rate to work with the prices, why not just keep everything as it was and lower the max number of shards u can hold? it would have been the same effect. unless there is more to this that is not being told....

Say T6 5 rifts = 500 shards

Before at say 5 shards per slot roll = 100 Rolls, 1-2 Leg

Now at 25 shards per slot roll = 20 Rolls, and if it actually drops 1/3 more legs, then in that 20 rolls 3-4 legs.

Old : 2/100 (good day) = 2%
New: 4/20 (good day) = 20%

Seems the easiest way to increase the leg drop 10 fold in appearance, for the same number of rift runs.

Since we wanted this change to be purely better for players and we know that many people get their crafting materials from Kadala we also decided to add a lot of extra crafting reagent drops to Greater and normal Rift Guardians. The overall impact should be that you are getting roughly the same amount of crafting materials, except instead of getting primarily yellow mats like Kadala gives you, the mats on the Guardians could be white, blue, or yellow. This should help even out the quantities of assorted material types instead of flooding players with just one type like Kadala was inclined to do.

I think raising it to 25 for armor was just a bit too high, Travis. I think 15 would be a better number. Dropped 300 shards for 1 legendary. Thats more of a bum that getting a full inventory of nothing. If you're going to keep it at 25, you should raise the amount of shards torment Rift Keepers drop. T4 = ~80 shards so its like "cool....3 items that could be yellows/blues. This is not worth it"
For clarity since my phrasing is losing people. Blood shard costs are 5x higher, to keep the same reward per shard I raised drop rates by 5x as well. Then after that I further raised the legendary chance by another 33%. The chance to get a legendary from Kadala is now 10%. Since the system is random players will inevitably go on streaks but over the course of time all players move towards the average and that average is now 33% more items than before.

On the crafting mat side, the material drops are random so its possible for players to find white, blue, or yellow mats in varying quantities. If you see 1 Veiled Crystal on a kill that doesn't mean every kill drops 1.
I was more bothered by the fact that it costs 40-50 Veiled Crystals to enchant a chest/leg piece, than I was with the gem costs. It would be great if you could adjust the enchant costs.
09/23/2014 12:17 PMPosted by Seal
I am going to assume you meant 3/1 more legs because 1/3 would be a huge nerf considering that wench hardly ever gave me legs in the first place.

1.3x = 1/3 more = 30%more.

The drop rate is better.
09/23/2014 12:15 PMPosted by OmegaPeralis
Then why bother? if you scaled the drop rate to work with the prices, why not just keep everything as it was and lower the max number of shards u can hold? it would have been the same effect. unless there is more to this that is not being told....

What is wrong with you? They just made some innocent QoL improvements and, at the same time, buffed kadala's legendary chance by 1/3 MORE and you're busting out the tinfoil hat?

The devs screw up plenty of things, but this does not appear to be one of them.
09/23/2014 12:25 PMPosted by Travis Day
For clarity since my phrasing is losing people. Blood shard costs are 5x higher, to keep the same reward per shard I raised drop rates by 5x as well. Then after that I further raised the legendary chance by another 33%. The chance to get a legendary from Kadala is now 10%. Since the system is random players will inevitably go on streaks but over the course of time all players move towards the average and that average is now 33% more items than before.

On the crafting mat side, the material drops are random so its possible for players to find white, blue, or yellow mats in varying quantities. If you see 1 Veiled Crystal on a kill that doesn't mean every kill drops 1.

I really hope you guys are planning to split weapon categories from Kadala. The chances of getting the weapon you need from a generic category are abysmal right now.

The last estimates are 35-50k shards for a specific weapon to even appear.
thank you for the math involved. maybe that will alleviate some concerns. im off to go do more testing.

the rift guardian mats do need to be increased . it still seems too low. im raking in considerably less materials than usual