GRifts -- where is the Rift Guardian!

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
It happens sometimes when you hear "The rift guardian has arrived" but no indicator on the map where it is. Sometimes it doesn't spawn close by and wastes that precious time looking for it. Normal rifts it doesn't matter but for greater rifts it sucks to lose a timer on that. If it can't be fixed to spawn near the players then I would like to see a beacon or note of the floor even. I've had it spawn on the floor above on the odd occasion too.
Great feedback. We agree that it can be frustrating to have a Greater Rift Guardian spawn in a location that is unclear or unspecified, especially if you’re running down that timer. Right now, if a Rift Guardian spawns on an undiscovered part of the Rift map or at certain distance away from the player, sometimes the indicator will not appear. Though technically not a bug, we still want adventurers fighting the Greater Rift Guardian and not the Greater Rift map, so we’ll be working to improve this functionality (ideally making it easier and more consistent for players to see where a Greater Rift Guardian spawns) in a future game update.

With this, we’re also looking at tuning and improving the AI that determines where a Greater Rift Guardian can spawn to begin with.
09/30/2014 02:17 PMPosted by Araxom
Right now, if a Rift Guardian spawns on an undiscovered part of the Rift map, the indicator will not appear.

I've had multiple Rift Guardians spawn in a discovered area that was previously cleared, and no indications on the map appeared if it was more than about 2-3 screens away. I ran forward once to find it, only to realize it had spawned directly on the entrance, a couple rooms before where I was when it spawned.
Especially bad for Orlash. Who doesn't even appear until he decides to try and one shot you out of invis.
09/30/2014 02:21 PMPosted by Namcap
Right now, if a Rift Guardian spawns on an undiscovered part of the Rift map, the indicator will not appear.

I've had multiple Rift Guardians spawn in a discovered area that was previously cleared, and no indications on the map appeared if it was more than about 2-3 screens away. I ran forward once to find it, only to realize it had spawned directly on the entrance, a couple rooms before where I was when it spawned.

Hrm, yeah...I would have guessed it was more related to distance than discovery based on my observations.
I think the threshold is 3 screens (100 yards). I could be wrong, however.
I guess I should thank you for finally acknowledging this. It only took you guys since 2.1 rolled out to acknowledge it. I bet if I look for it, it was even reported during the PTR.

I appreciate you guys finally acknowledging it, but the fact that it took so long is just sad.
Id rather see a portal spawn to the Rift Guardians. Have each one have its own special environment for a more of a challenge. Could be difficult to kill if you had to run all the way back to the portal instead of kiting him to the zone but then again could make it so you respawn in the Rift Guardians Room. This way you could have mechanics in the room to avoid as well as the rift guardians abilities that you just get from normal rifts.
The best part is when Orek yells out:

"The Rift Guardian has found you!"

And you end up wandering around looking to find the Rift Guardian :P
With this, we’re also looking at tuning and improving the AI that determines where a Greater Rift Guardian can spawn to begin with.

AI - seriously, what for???

pick a player, spawn where that player is. done. keep it simple.

Good news. I was in a rift that was a Tower map. I was all the way down the staircase near the exit, and the stupid guardian spawned very close to me as the crow flies - all the way back near the entrance. Had to trek back through the whole map to get to him.

Me too. I triggered the RG near the level exit, there was no RG icon on the map so i went to the next level and there was a group of elites (maggot spawning dudes) which was odd since they shouldn't have existed after the RG spawned. After killing this group of elites, I ran further into the level and it was empty, so I ran back into the level up and kept back tracking until I eventually found the RG.

BUGGY

Happened to me once as well.

I'm curious about the AI involved. How difficult it is to spawn the guardian within 50 yards of the player (or the player that actively filled the rift progress bar in a group)?
Really? Now you acknowledge this??? I've made numerous posts and comments on this, as well as submitting a ticket to support.

Well, at least you acknowledge it's a bug...

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
09/30/2014 03:07 PMPosted by PowerCosmic
I triggered the RG near the level exit, there was no RG icon on the map so i went to the next level and there was a group of elites (maggot spawning dudes) which was odd since they shouldn't have existed after the RG spawned.

The other monsters that haven't been killed yet do not disappear when the RG comes.

This is not what is happening. The RG will very often spawn way behind you with no indication whatsoever, and often times you DO get an indication when he spawns in undiscovered territory.

If you are in a cramped space when you spawn the RG, the game will look for the closest spot that is big enough to spawn him, which may be in front of or behind you. The game needs to give you an arrow immediately, as soon as the RG spawns, regardless of where it is. I don't understand how it ever made it out the door without doing that in the first place.
Great feedback. We agree that it can be frustrating to have a Greater Rift Guardian spawn in a location that is unclear or unspecified, especially if you’re running down that timer. Right now, if a Rift Guardian spawns on an undiscovered part of the Rift map, the indicator will not appear. Though technically not a bug, we still want adventurers fighting the Greater Rift Guardian and not the Greater Rift map, so we’ll be working to improve this functionality (ideally making it easier and more consistent for players to see where a Greater Rift Guardian spawns) in a future game update.

Thanks for letting us know that you are looking into one of the numerous problems of grifts.
09/30/2014 03:00 PMPosted by PowerCosmic

AI - seriously, what for???

pick a player, spawn where that player is. done. keep it simple.

This lol.

What has spawn location got to do with AI? Nothing.
we still want adventurers fighting the Greater Rift Guardian and not the Greater Rift map

Well, 1st of all I've had rift guardians spawn in a discovered and cleared area plenty of times, and also talking about the rift map, why are they so ridiculous ? the rift maps I run in T6 are completely different from greater rift maps, fair enough I guess as it's competitive etc, but the maps I get in greater rifts literally ruin most of my runs. A completely dumb massive maze where you have to search for the next rift floor portal never finding it while clearing everything in the way and reaching a dead end all the time just to turn around and run the cleared path just to reach a dead end again.

I was grift 36 and 3+ minutes ahead of the timer just to each a dead end and search for ANY mobs left alive finally finding some in this unnecessarily massive map just to fail the whole run, and no it wasnt a lack of skill/bad gear/bad skill setup, no just dumb map design/map rng.
I really dont get the idea behind this design. The whole game is pretty much RNG starting from gear drops to mob types to map layout and mob density.
Right now the ONLY somewhat challenging part of this game are greater rifts and dodging elite skills, knowing when to use the right skills etc all that stuff, thats the only thing, but I cant even do that cuz I keep running around in dumb empty maps. I'd be way higher in leaderboards if I'd just get decent maps where finding the exit to another rift floor or more importantly fighting mobs/elites wouldn't be a problem, but that isn't the case.

Can't imagine the devs going: ' Hey lets make it possible to get massive maps that make no sense full of dead-ends and low mob density in a competitive ladder, so it requires the least amount of skill possible' - ' Great idea, lets do that !'

:S this really puzzles me, rant over.
Game's great and all, but this kind of stuff I can't understand :(
The guardian should spawn on the player to kill the last monster to spawn said guardian.