Blizzard Devs, did you make to GR100...

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 13 Next
10/01/2014 02:45 AMPosted by JoeShmo
With that logic....GR1-75 is pointless after an expansion release.

yes, correct.

the great thing is that nothing else needs to be developed even though gr 1-75 becomes pointless. because gr 76-100 is exactly the same, content-wise.

having entire swaths of content not being played as a game matures is actually a very common phenomenon in a lot of MMOs, or any other game with consistent content-based expansions.

by making grs practically infinitely scaling, the d3 devs put in place an economical frame that remains relevant no matter how many xpacs they throw at the game by virtue of the fact that at its core, grs are simply existing maps that have been re-colored and populated with existing monster types.

updating grs when more xpacs hit the shelves is a simple exercise of adding into the rotation new mobs and maps, or older maps that didn't make the cut (like cesspools).

it's a very efficient way, time and effort wise, to keep stringing players along with as little investment in actual development as possible.

it is ingenious concept if blizzard is planning on milking d3 for as long as possible with as small an investment in terms of develop team size/effort/time/money.
There is some confusion that comes up from time to time about the role that Greater Rifts are intended to play, and I’d like to take a moment to help try and clear that up.

For the most part, Greater Rifts are intended to act like a yardstick (or meter stick, if we’re waxing Metric) by which players can measure the power growth of their hero, as opposed to something that is meant to be completed in its entirety. Part of the confusion about the intended role of Greater Rifts might come from the fact that, during the public test phase of patch 2.1.0, there was a temporary cap in place (for testing purposes), and some players were able to reach that limit while the PTR was running. However, we never intended to allow players to reach the maximum level of what Greater Rifts offer once the system went live. In fact, for all intents and purposes, the number of Greater Rift levels currently has no limit.
they didnt thought about "balancing" because it should be like "here no end" so they just increased dmg not caring if whatever
Of course not because its a completely hogwashed balanced systems to begin with. Horrible HP and damage scalling past Grfit 25. Spend more time looking for monsters than actually killing them. Run through a 5min long gigantic floor thats completely void of monsters. Never get your legendary gems close to max lvl unless you play a specific build and exploited your way past paragon 700 for better dps/survivability.

I really hope they next update fixes this crap and comes alot sooner than the previous patches. You got other small developers running laps around you with content updates and fixes on a bi-weekly basis.
Seriously, stop asking this question.

You are not supposed to reach 100. If you do, you are exploiting.

Just like with your loot NEVER being perfect on your gear, you are never going to Complete the Greater Rifts. There will always be higher levels to achieve. You think 100 is some magic number that can never go higher? Watch them introduce new items or new tiers of items and they raise it to 200.

I follow simple logic:
- Car manufacture tests their cars prior to release
- Chief tests his cooking
- I test my product in and out before it goes to my customer

so I expect Blizzard to do the same with this game (computer software).

All I would like to hear is "Yes, we played this game from A to Z and GR100 is reachable in current state"

Your logic is flawed. You are making the assumption that this was their goal. You assume they want you to complete level 100. Your entire stream of logic falls apart if their goal was to create enough levels that you would always have something harder to go to next. In this situation, their testing actually was probably successful. Internally they were never able to achieve GRift 100 without using bugs or exploits. In this case, there testing was a success. :)

I find it odd that in a game where you can never complete your gearing(there is always going to be some piece that you can get a few extra stats on it), people cling to the idea that the endgame is somehow beatable. Before 2.1 the idea was you keep geting upgrades and you keep lowering your T6 clear times. There is no end to that system. In 2.1 now you go out and get upgrades and now you can either go for faster clear times of certain levels or clearing the next harder level.
10/06/2014 03:51 PMPosted by NeVeRLiFt
How can random maps and poor density of random mobs even begin to be a metric measurement for the classes?

This.
10/06/2014 03:37 PMPosted by Grimiku
for all intents and purposes, the number of Greater Rift levels currently has no limit.

ew.
We need a legendary gem of this nature.

Gem of the RNG blessed.

% chance to spawn pylons every 'x' second.

Rank 25 bonus.

Every pylon spawned is a conduit pylon.
Why do we get a response to this and not to the 20 page thread about how bad trials are?
10/06/2014 04:02 PMPosted by TheCondemned
A topless tower, a bottomless pit, this is poor game design
Why do you say that? Because it doesn't appeal to you?

There are designs which do not appeal to everyone. A bottomless/endless dungeon style may not be your bag, but it is good design. There are lots of people that this does in fact, appeal to. It's a tried and true game design since say... Pac-Man. Levels would go higher, ghosts would eventually be immune to the power-up pellets.
And while levels were limited to 256 due to memory (they repeated at lv 1 after that), you still had the endless-dungeon type of design WITH scaling difficulty the higher you went.

So stop trolling and stop using hyperbole like... "oh it's poor design". It's not. Blizzard may have IMPLEMENTED it poorly, but it is not bad design.
Worst.community.ever.
10/06/2014 04:33 PMPosted by kastermaster
Now you all have your answer. Just because there is a grift 100 or a grift 1000 doesn't entitle you to complete it or for Blizzard to ever rebalance grifts for you to complete it.

why the developer decision to make it incompletable tho?

now i mean, if the limit of stats on items increased the higher gr level you went, an infinite system would be nice. but as it stands, you get the same quality of items at gr 25 or gr 35 or gr 50.

it makes the system kinda pointless.
There is some confusion that comes up from time to time about the role that Greater Rifts are intended to play, and I’d like to take a moment to help try and clear that up.

For the most part, Greater Rifts are intended to act like a yardstick (or meter stick, if we’re waxing Metric) by which players can measure the power growth of their hero, as opposed to something that is meant to be completed in its entirety. Part of the confusion about the intended role of Greater Rifts might come from the fact that, during the public test phase of patch 2.1.0, there was a temporary cap in place (for testing purposes), and some players were able to reach that limit while the PTR was running. However, we never intended to allow players to reach the maximum level of what Greater Rifts offer once the system went live. In fact, for all intents and purposes, the number of Greater Rift levels currently has no limit.

If you say that the grift is supposed to be a measure on in which players can see the growth of their hero then what do the current grift results tell you? If there is any information that can be gleaned from grift results are you planning to use such information on class balancing? I just want to know what the point of grifts really is because otherwise it will be pointless to do grifts if there would be no clear objective for players to do it.

So then why is it so based on RNG instead of actual character abilities? Literally every high level character in there is dealing in absolutes. Spam that invincibility button, deal hundreds of millions of damage from offscreen, then conduit at the end. RNG that does more damage than any theoretical build. How'd that one get through months of testing?

We're still waiting on that measuring stick/legitimate competitive endgame, and most would be fine if it were just a good farm area instead. But, we have nothing.
You'd think the harder the Gr is the better the loot stat cap would be. Wrong, you don't get anything but a possible spot in ranks which in itself is useless.
10/01/2014 12:57 AMPosted by Wave
Wrong. They Do Not. And There are video interviews of the lead game programmers and devs talking about their personal office characters and clan, and how the highest guy was "almost paragon 600" and went on to express how high he believed that to be, at a time when the community had players over 1000 para. I don't think they even know how to play their own game very well.

Most of them are under 200 with poorly equipped characters. 200 is something you could casually hit in one day. 500 is something you could inefficiently get in 1 month. 600 is 2 months.

How many months has the expansion been out? 12? 13?

I recently leveled up a seasonal Wizard and now a seasonal WD and have been bouncing between Greater Rifts and Rifts(I do these when I get burnt out of high focus required for the timed nature of GRs). I have been confused as to which route is the more efficient and/or "correct" method of obtaining bloodshards and legendaries(I watched the comparison video between lvl 25 GRs VS T6 linked on diablofans).

While I appreciate the intent to clarify the role of Greater Rifts this actually has convoluted the issue for me. If Greater Rifts are supposed to be a "yardstick" or "meterstick" and the assumption is correct by the community that T6 is comparable to a lvl 25 GR then is there any point of doing GRs before your character is T6 capable and can do lvl 25 GRs? Or have I been wasting GR trial keys=(.

Basically, based on this information and community consensus(if correct) I feel its unintuitive to allow players to even open GRs before being able to clear T6 since moving up in torment levels is already an effective "meterstick" or "yardstick". Furthermore, if we can already measure our characters progress by moving up in torment levels to a maximum of torment 6, why arnt GRs just unlockable from T6 and then a level 1 GR would be comparable to T6. That seems a more logical, less convoluted, and smooth progression path.

PS - if GRs are meant to be primarily a "yardstick" why do they reward such amazing gems!?!?! This highly incentivizes everyone to participate regardless of if they care about "measuring" their power. Seems a strange place to put such a nice reward if its mainly just to gauge your progress. Perhaps a second avenue to increase legendary gem power could be introduced?