Dagger of darts build + reflect damage?

Witch Doctor
So this combination is killing me faster than I can click on spirit walk. Also it seems to hit a lot further than my screen size.
Seemed like such a fun build, untill you one shoot yourself constantly without seeing what is going on. Any tips? Thanks.
My only tip would be to the Diablo devs: make elite affixes require skill to prevent/avoid.

Right now your cue for "oh crap I need to get away" is by taking damage, which is frustrating because the player can't do anything about it with their skill at the game. Molten is an example of a well-made affix. Jailer, Thunderstorm, and Reflect Damage... examples of careless design.
Tips:

Activate spirit walk and than start shooting at reflect.
You wont take dmg during spirit walk.

Position yourself and your fetishes in a way that your dart will hit a waller, some other obstacle or thin air, while your fetishes hit the target (can be quite difficult to do).

Run like a chicken and let your fetishes melee the reflect enemy.
Not recommendable when your fetish army is on cooldown.

Only shoot when reflect is down.

Skip what you can skip.

Attack other targets while people more suited for it, take down the reflect enemies (only works when not soloing).

Do /dance while others take care of the reflect enemies (only works when not soloing) xD.

Anyway, these tips wont solve the difficulty we Carnevil docs have with reflect enemies, but it might help you some.
I have the same issue with rheno. I have to really watch for it and you are right, sometimes the hitting of my hotkey for spirit walk just is not fast enough if frog are already out. I try to save and time spirit walk for each round of it. Its effective most the time but sometimes there is just nothing you can do. Especially if you take 1-2 quick ticks and a thunderstorm or jailer is then thrown on you at that same moment.
09/28/2014 10:53 AMPosted by Aspirine
So this combination is killing me faster than I can click on spirit walk. Also it seems to hit a lot further than my screen size.

That's right.
I see an enemy on the edge of the screen, I start shooting. It turns out it was a yellow and I've turned on RD on all his minions. I'm dead before I know what's happening.
09/28/2014 11:08 AMPosted by symptic
Jailer, Thunderstorm, and Reflect Damage... examples of careless design.

All that I think reflect damage needs is for the Animation to display 1.5 seconds before it starts dealing damage. It's unfair that plague of toads gets !@#$ing rekt by this skill even while paying attention to the affix.
I think the mechanic is fine. Use the spirit passive. If you don't invest in defensive skills it will bite you hard.
Reflect is not fine imo. The problem is that reflect damage is currently tied to attacks proc rates. The higher the proc rate the more damage reflect will return. WDs need to use high proc rate attacks to generate FS so they are heavily penalized for that.

• Poison Dart has a proc rate of 1.0 and can hit multiple targets with DoD.
  • Addling Toads has a proc rate of 0.66 per toad and twice that with Rhen'Ho (0.66*6)
  • Rain of Toads is around 1.5 and can hit multiple targets as well (SMK).

The biggest offender - Flaming Dart with DoD, that 4 second stacking dot is really hard to time around, I have to let my army melee which makes some encounters very very slow.

Solution:
All this proc rate nonsense was introduced to make reflect a 'counter attack' to LoH. But now LoH no longer uses proc rates, it returns the same amount regardless of which attack was used. Blizzard needs to change reflect to operate the same way, reflect once per attack and reflect the same amount of damage regardless of the attack used.
spiritwalk and stop shooting are your only real options. If you only hit a single target it is not nearly as bad as when you hit multiple targets. Let your fetishes melee if you have to.
Reflect Damage is just stupidly strong. Try to avoid other damage when it's up and just sit there.

It's frustrating when you have no choice but to die. I'm not sure how exactly that's a challenge. Those situations just feel cheap.
I think the best thing is to prematurely stop shooting. Isn't their reflect on a timed cooldown? Like 10 seconds without, 5 seconds with... or something along that lines; I've never actually tested it. If it is; you might have to start counting in your head; so you can stop yourself before its activated again.
you should try RoT, press RoT before reflect is even up, reflect used dead in .5 seconds.

great game design.
Thanks for the tips guys, I guess it's not longer shoot everything that moves and run like a chickin when I need to. Also changing the passive to spirit vessel is something that must be done. Perhaps the rng gods are kind and will grant me a usefull hellfire amulet for a change.

No use to create a but report for it I guess? I mean my DH that has way more damage and sentries firing at will has no problem with reflect damage. But my fetishes with little damage do give me problems.
09/28/2014 08:57 PMPosted by Wootytooty
I think the best thing is to prematurely stop shooting. Isn't their reflect on a timed cooldown? Like 10 seconds without, 5 seconds with... or something along that lines; I've never actually tested it. If it is; you might have to start counting in your head; so you can stop yourself before its activated again.

Jaunt will outlast Reflect Damage once you pop it, so it doesn't last any longer than 3 seconds. I don't think it's on a timer, but it does have a cooldown.

It seems to me like the elite will only use it once it starts taking damage (maybe specifically, non-melee damage?) from the player. And for those using Grin Reaper, you can throw Rain of Toads off to the side to summon your mimics, who can take care of elites without you taking any Reflect Damage.
09/28/2014 10:53 AMPosted by Aspirine
Seemed like such a fun build, untill you one shoot yourself constantly without seeing what is going on. Any tips? Thanks.

A monk friend of mine and I were doing high 30's G-Rifts and I can tell you that damage reflect basically one shots a Zuni-Dart Dr. We ended up spending an hour clearing an unlucky 37 rift due to so many mobs having spell reflect and my monk trying out his 0-dps spec...
Get some toughness.
Get some Spirit Vessel.
Cast Jaunt as soon as you see the word reflect and fight through the pain.
Works up to GR37 anyway.