[Linux] Battle.net app won't start

Technical Support
I am a linux user, I know linux is not officially supported but I have been running the game flawlessly for ages now with it. Tonight however an update installed when I started battle.net app and it asked me to restart the app. After restarting I get this error:

This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows".

I have reloaded playonlinux the program used to launch D3, then I reinstalled the battle.net app, both to no avail. Can anyone help me out with this please.

Thanks.
Z.
Same here. I was able to get it working by changing Windows Version from "Windows 7" to "Windows XP" in winecfg. In playonlinux, you can open winecfg by selecting Diablo III, click the Configure icon, select the Wine tab, then Configure Wine.

I'm not sure what downsides there are to this workaround, if any.
Dude, thanks SOO much. That helped for now but I'd love to see it working like it used to. Hopefully some other Linux users see this and speak up too.
Had the same exact problem. Switching from Win7 to WinXP in my prefix resolved the issue. Dunno why. Something to do with a recent Battle.Net update?
Shelby it started with the update today. I loaded the game, it said it performed a required update then the error started. Glad this fix works, wonder if there is a downside to using this. Are we stuck in 32bit now instead of 64 bit maybe?
In general I have had lots of luck using PlayOnLinux's install script. I'll see later today if it still works but I've been using that method for installing and configuring wine for D3 almost since launch...
They switched to Qt5 (from Qt4) for the current launcher but for some reason the Qt library seems to choose a different code path/platform plugin when running wine as windows 7 or 8.

In the launcher update I received on 2 October (Battle.net.5107) blizzard have added the platforms/qwindows.dll which was missing previously (Battle.net.5090, the first Qt5 launcher release afaik). From my initial googling that was a common error which resulted in the "This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin 'windows'." message.

While this doesn't seem to "help" wine while running as windows 7, it does allow the launcher to run under wine as windows 2008, Vista and XP. So before update 5107 the launcher was incomplete and wouldn't run regardless of the windows version setting.

Let's hope they can restore it for windows 7 as well.
Regardless of whether they fix the launcher, I think I might keep the "Windows XP" setting. It solves a bunch of graphical issues (textures not loading when they should, pausing and other issues when switching between workspaces) that started with the 1.7.21 release of wine.

And although I hesitate to declare it resolved, ever since I switched wine to "Windows XP", I haven't run into the issue where my keyboard input would randomly glitch out (D3 would stop responding reliably to keypresses, and would keep casting the same spells repeatedly even after I released the hotkey, etc.), until I exit and restart D3.
Worked for me, thanks.
When i try to install Diablo III by battle.net application it was crashed when searching a game installation folder (((
02/07/2015 08:03 AMPosted by valtiel86
When i try to install Diablo III by battle.net application it was crashed when searching a game installation folder (((

if what you are saying is that everything installed correctly then all you need to do should be to make sure that you right click the battle.net shortcut and put this in it
setarch i386 -L -B -R -3

the "command" field on mine looks like this since im using play on linux.
setarch i386 -L -B -R -3 taskset -c 2,3 /usr/share/playonlinux/playonlinux --run "Battle.net" %F

..also, i added the taskset command to change processor affinity. thats not necessary though.

its best to use WINE version 1.7.31+ ( i think) it may have been an earlier version in the 20s that you could use as the earliest. there was a fix though that allows you to run the game and battle.net without having to mess with overrides and such. personally im running 1.7.35 :)
What's the command you use to lock processor affinity?

Edit: Re-read your post. I'm dumb.

Was hoping that would help me. I can't seem to get the game to go above 20fps.