How to make the jump to T6?

Crusader
Hi all,

Below is the link to my Crusader... He's pretty badass in T4 and can handle T5 solo, and T6 in groups, but I'm struggling with blues and yellows with him in T6 solo.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Daviator89-2397/hero/43882814

Could you throw me some advice as to some gear to look out for to be able to cope a bit better? I've thought about switching in diamonds instead of rubies, but haven't had the chance to yet, but toughness is the primary issue I'm having.

Also, I'm searching desperately for a FOTF, but no luck so far.
Well the biggest two things I notice are, Shield Bash and healing. Shield bash doesn't seem to be one of the better skills to use unless you have Rolands. I would try Fist of Heavens or Blessed hammer instead because they can hit more monsters in an AOE and are not as directional as Shield Bash. I know you said you are looking for more advice on toughness but if you kill stuff faster then you will survive longer.

Healing is really important. I know you have Holy cause, but with a 2 hander your attack speed isn't going to be very high which means less healing. So I'd try something like Consecration. I'm using Bathed in light at the moment for the extra healing, but when I can get an new amulet or RoRG that I can socket I will be swapping it for the frozen ground as it will proc the Bane of the Trapped(which is something I suggest you do, as you have a spot for a second leg gem.)

Another skill that is great for healing is Provoked with Cleanse. Not only do you boost your wrath but you can get huge healing from it when you need to. Combine that with the Wrathful and you will have plenty of healing while casting wrath.

You could also take the invincible rune on Laws or Valor instead to boost healing. but I haven't tested that one myself.
Okay, I'll try out Fist. I've been using Shield Bash because I like that it roots the enemy in place - and it crits for about 35m. I'll give it a whirl though, and see how I get on.

I'll try out changing law for some healing - I just figured that improved damage would help me out more on the basis of killing stuff faster.

I'll try out Bane of the Trapped when I get a chance, but I'm not sure about the way it procs? Would my Shield Glare proc it?
09/28/2014 07:38 AMPosted by Daviator89
I'll try out Bane of the Trapped when I get a chance, but I'm not sure about the way it procs? Would my Shield Glare proc it?

Only if you use the rune that slows, provoke with the slow rune will work as well.
09/28/2014 07:38 AMPosted by Daviator89
Okay, I'll try out Fist. I've been using Shield Bash because I like that it roots the enemy in place - and it crits for about 35m. I'll give it a whirl though, and see how I get on.

I'll try out changing law for some healing - I just figured that improved damage would help me out more on the basis of killing stuff faster.

Yeah it's funny the way stuff works sometimes. I was running maximus with fire damage and my friend suggested I switch to lightning, so I swapped some gear, went back to darklight and even though it's not hitting as hard per hit, I'm swinging much faster and doing much better.

Yeah improved damage for killing stuff faster is great, but you also need some healing as well to compensate for some of the insane affixes the champs and elites have.

Bane of the Trapped works off of any control impairing effects. I'm not sure about the blind from shield glare, but anything that slows or stuns definitely triggers it. It's a great gem and I wish I had room for it, but I really like the wreath as well.
go aughild blackthorne till you find a build changer that works with akkhan
09/28/2014 10:34 AMPosted by Balzaph

Meh, I don't think dropping Akkahn's for aughilds and blackthornes will help. Especially with the prophet rune and the extra 35% damage. I used to think it would be really hard to get rid of my blackthornes, but it wasn't bad at all, just have to pay attention to stuff on the ground.

@Daviator: If you are still having some trouble, I'd be happy to get a game with you this week if you want.
i can't speak to what was previously posted because the ideas are sound but i've never tried it. my sader can do t6, but it's not on 'farm' per say. I'd try to get a better reaper wrap. bracers you really want +holy, str, vit, and cc. This will also allow you to enchant gloves for cdr instead of vit. You have 467k life which is pretty high, instead of 12% life on belt you could go for armor, i'm not sure if captains gives all resist... personal choice for helm is str, vit, cc, and socket. you can keep the AR if you want but I like more crit. more dmg means i dont have to survive as long.

not sure it that'll help push u to t6 just yet but it should help you a bit.. some of it may depend on you just getting the right drops with better rolls. good luck.
I'm surprised that nobody has picked apart your rerolls on your gear yet. Your boots, belt, and BP all could have rerolls for defense. For boots and belt, I would pick up some All Resists, but the +life% on the belt could be okay. The chest could also be changed to All Resist, or an even more rare roll is reduced elite damage. I personally would also recraft those reaper's wraps and shoot for ele damage, str, vit and all res if you're concerned with toughness. If not, I generally like bracers to have ele dmg, str, vit, and cc.

Edit: I just realized that all of the items I mentioned have to be new items to roll AR. Shoot for another drop of said items I guess except for the chest because you can still get elite dmg reduction.
Gents, thank you all for your replies. I'll post more once I've played a bit this week (I've been trying to play some other stuff for the past couple of days because over the past few months I've played more or less nothing but Diablo lol).

09/29/2014 07:43 AMPosted by Hattrick
I'm surprised that nobody has picked apart your rerolls on your gear yet. Your boots, belt, and BP all could have rerolls for defense. For boots and belt, I would pick up some All Resists, but the +life% on the belt could be okay. The chest could also be changed to All Resist, or an even more rare roll is reduced elite damage. I personally would also recraft those reaper's wraps and shoot for ele damage, str, vit and all res if you're concerned with toughness. If not, I generally like bracers to have ele dmg, str, vit, and cc.

Edit: I just realized that all of the items I mentioned have to be new items to roll AR. Shoot for another drop of said items I guess except for the chest because you can still get elite dmg reduction.

I'll take a look at the rerolls and see what I can get - I think I had to go for skill damage on the chest piece in particular, and the wraps aren't too bad, but I'll have a sesh at the blacksmith and see what I can get.

09/29/2014 06:51 AMPosted by Acebaur
09/28/2014 10:34 AMPosted by Balzaph

Meh, I don't think dropping Akkahn's for aughilds and blackthornes will help. Especially with the prophet rune and the extra 35% damage. I used to think it would be really hard to get rid of my blackthornes, but it wasn't bad at all, just have to pay attention to stuff on the ground.

@Daviator: If you are still having some trouble, I'd be happy to get a game with you this week if you want.

Dude, that would be much appreciated - I think it's mostly just gear I need. Could you recommend a gear share clan off the top of your head? I live in the UK but play on the US servers because I know a bunch of folks in NC so I play with them.
Daviator89,

There are three builds that are very good for t6 the first two being the best:

1) Stampede (need furnance, phalanx shield, physical damage rolls, and phalanx damage rolls on helm/boots/shield)
2) Shotgun (need fate of the fell, holy damage affix, and heavens fury on chest/shoulders/shield)
3) Firestarter (need darklight, fire damage rolls, and heavens fist on helm/boots/helm) I have never tried this build because it lags out the game but it is the easiest to get gear for--it does not use the prophet rune so it is a bit squishy

In all three cases you want at least 46-50% cdr (56% cdr is perma ak champ--not really needed until you get into higher g rifts of 37 and above.) In the first two you run the ak champ prophet rune which gives you 150% more armor. This rune alone means you can run very damage heavy and easily do t6. You should also try to carry three to two leg gems. Unity is good for t6 if you don't have prophet up enough but once you get your cdr up get a socketed stone of Jordan with the correct elemental damage roll. The areas to best get cdr are gloves, helm (socket), shoulders, rings, weapon, and shield. Ammys that roll cdr are nice but you have to weigh the loss of cc/cdr/socket/elemental damage affixs which often is not in favor of carrying cdr on the ammy.

That said this is all gear intensive and you will need to farm this stuff to get it. Once you do t6 is a joke--even if you are carrying people. Good luck and have fun.
forgot one build-- condemn. This a seasonal build only right now but it is very t6 capable. I only have 30 hours on my seasonal toon and just got the shield so haven't run it much. That said with the right gear I have seen condemn builds do gr 37-38. need the shield and blade of prophecy, holy damage rolls, and condemn damage on shield, chest, and shoulders. This is ak prophet rune build as well dependent on high cdr.
Does Bane of the Trapped get proc'd by Provoke?
yes and at level 25 it self procs. any control impairment will proc it. best mele gem
3) Firestarter (need darklight, fire damage rolls, and heavens fist on helm/boots/helm) I have never tried this build because it lags out the game but it is the easiest to get gear for--it does not use the prophet rune so it is a bit squishy

I would recommend against this. I was running Fire with a maximus and FoH and I was having trouble with T5. I switched over to Lightning and went back to my darklight using FoH's Fissure and changed AC from Hasteful to Prophet. I'm having no trouble with T6 right now.

Now certainly part of it is that I have more cooldown with a 1 hander, so AC is up more often. But, that said I also used to run darklight with the fire FoH and it just isn't as good. The lightning arcs between the fissures goes off a lot and with multiple fissures all over the ground monsters are getting tagged for huge damage.
09/29/2014 05:00 PMPosted by wilbur222

I would recommend against this. I used to run fire with a maximus and Heaven's Tempest, but I was having trouble running T5. So I switched over to lightning and went back to my Darklight and I'm now running T6 without trouble.

I had been running AC with Hasteful to help with AS(now running prophet) and also the CDR is helped a lot by using a one hander. Even so, before going to maximus I was running Heaven's tempest with my darklight and still had trouble.

The Fissure rune is just much better as it doesn't require the monsters to stand in it to deal large amounts of damage because of the arcs.

As far as clans, unfortunately no, I'm not in a clan. However, when my friends and I play together we share gear if we don't need it and one of the others can use it.
09/29/2014 08:45 PMPosted by wilbur222
yes and at level 25 it self procs. any control impairment will proc it. best mele gem
Great thanks.
Seems you're a jack of all trades with this char. You have the Akkhan set with RoRG but you need the build enabling items to complement it. Start looking/gambling for an Unrelenting Phalanx or a FOTF.

Remove shield bash and pick another holy skill of your choice (fist of the heavens probably). It looks like your problem is getting in melee range for zeal/shield bash without enough survivability or healing. Put paragon points into LoH (in casy you haven't), change Laws of Valor to Unstoppable Force so you can spam your damage dealer.

Even though people are saying there are three viable builds, anything is viable for T6 with the legendary gems and the correct gear. Some are faster, that's all. T6 will eventually become casual for you, it's just a matter of optimizing your build and equip.
09/29/2014 05:08 PMPosted by wilbur222
forgot one build-- condemn. This a seasonal build only right now but it is very t6 capable. I only have 30 hours on my seasonal toon and just got the shield so haven't run it much. That said with the right gear I have seen condemn builds do gr 37-38.

Condemn is very powerful. It can apparently do up to GR42 if you trust the leaderboards (last time I checked 9 out of the EU-Top10 were Condemn, #5 I think was the lone Stampede) and it absolutely WRECKS T6. Like literally DESTROYS it, it's possibly one of the fastest T6 farming builds of all classes. Also it doesn't need a Furnace to be great unlike Stampede ;) Even Heart Slaughter is rarer than BoP.
So just a general update - I've switched some gear around and given up Captain Crimson so I can wear the Akkan pants, a Vigilante Belt, and a Leoric's Crown.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Daviator89-2397/hero/43882814

In game my CDR is reported as around 46%, but on here it's 34.6% and I can't quite work out why.

I'm playing T6 comfortably on solo now as well as in group - I've just got to watch out for the usual stuff like Arcane Sentries, Electrify etc. What can I do now to optimise my gear a bit more? Some things that leap to mind for me are:

Better rolled Crown - increase gem effectiveness to closer to 100%
Increase CDR on Belt - think I'd need a new belt though, as surely it's better to roll of the life/second for either % life or Armour? Just thinking in terms of damage mitigation.
Better weapon - I /really/ want a FOTF but no luck so far. I've even got a Rama's gift ready to use on it.

Just looking to get this character to a state where it feels 'complete' and then I'l work on my Season - she's feeling a little unloved!