Good luck or lose hope

General Discussion
because everything is just RNG. You will never know how close you are to a certain drop, or a reroll, or a good hellfire amulet. It is always either you get it or you don't. You can spend 30-40 hours and get nothing, blow all your money and forgotten souls on rerolls and end up exactly where you are today. Or you can log in and get the most epic item in the game on your first zombie kill.

There is absolutely no way to track your progress of getting a certain item/build and that's BS.
Higher Grifts?
Do you even know what RNG means?
My understanding of being a gamer my whole life, the term RNG stood for "Random Number Generator." I don't know if that's what it means to you, but RANDOM means RANDOM. RANDOM is not BS.
10/08/2014 06:03 AMPosted by V3n05
My understanding of being a gamer my whole life, the term RNG stood for "Random Number Generator." I don't know if that's what it means to you, but RANDOM means RANDOM. RANDOM is not BS.

The entire game is random, and that is BS. Greater rifts are fun, rifts are fun, killing monsters is fun.

What's not fun is wanting 1 or 2 items to make a different build, perfect a build, or just to try them out and having ABSOLUTELY no way to get them other than "good luck"
Both D1 and D2 had RNG -- nothing guaranteed as to the roll or what you get. There were items in D2 that I never got after years and years of playing. Is there a single game that guarantees you a BIS roll of a particular item? I think not. Suggest friending some people or join a clan, then share / trade drops.
You can get the items you want with kadala...and some luck :P
This is why people were angry when they found out skill trees were gone. because skill trees represented a slow organic growth of power.

This is why people were angry when they found out that all skills were based on weapon damage because abilities slowly getting stronger represented a slow growth of power

This is why this game is considered a complete waste of potential. Because those skimpy systems used to build up D2 among several other games of the pedigree were accused of being faulty or penalizing or broken or obsolete and they were replaced with what you have today; "clicking skills to put them in your skill bar, or "winning the item lottery" as you say.

It could have been a game with a huge rich base of personalization and growth. and instead its "sprint to level 70 in a few hours" and then "go find your RRoG by playing that lottery"

People rip PoE to shreds but my time with that game leveling up, I could not sit here and explain the changes that the character has gon through as far as tweaking and tailoring and growing the character. It would take to long. Combat is not a big rich explosion of pretty colours, but the game has other strengths.

In D3 every character is just "I got more main stat. Then I got more crit. Then I got more All res. Then I got marauders and I have a sentry build. just like everyone else.
I'm not asking for all the drops to be handed out. I'm saying there needs to be more to grinding items than just RNG.

Give us a measurable way to search for certain build changing or game changing items. KIll khazra for ears at a 5% chance, after you turn in 200 ears you get an Amulet of choice. Something other than just hope and pray.

And don't say Kadala. People spend thousands of shards looking for one item and fail to ever see it. Gambling is still a crappy system just as it always was.

Also! The RNG in D2 was just as bad, it was only mitigated by Botters and trading.

If it is open source, then RNG is not BS, you are right.

But since noone knows how this RNG is coded by Blizz there is of course a chance that it is BS.

You dont even know if a certan item can drop in your game, ffs...
10/08/2014 05:55 AMPosted by Shunsin
because everything is just RNG. You will never know how close you are to a certain drop, or a reroll, or a good hellfire amulet. It is always either you get it or you don't. You can spend 30-40 hours and get nothing, blow all your money and forgotten souls on rerolls and end up exactly where you are today. Or you can log in and get the most epic item in the game on your first zombie kill.

There is absolutely no way to track your progress of getting a certain item/build and that's BS.
the best part about this game is playing for hundreds of hours gambling all shards for a certain item and seeing a new paragon 80 with it 10/10
I don't think people complaining about RNG are talking about some degree of randomness to various systems within the game. From what I'm reading (and thinking) it is the layer upon layer upon layer of RNG that degrades all rolls toward some mediocre mean. A little randomness is fine. Too much? Not so fine.

If the purpose of the game was character leveling/growth and not a scavenger hunt, gear wouldn't be such a critical problem. As it is? Skill has much less to do with game play than luck.
10/08/2014 06:07 AMPosted by Shunsin

The entire game is random, and that is BS. Greater rifts are fun, rifts are fun, killing monsters is fun.

What's not fun is wanting 1 or 2 items to make a different build, perfect a build, or just to try them out and having ABSOLUTELY no way to get them other than "good luck"

This. ^^ +1000
10/08/2014 06:20 AMPosted by Shurgosa
This is why people were angry when they found out skill trees were gone. because skill trees represented a slow organic growth of power.

Preach brotha...

This is why people were angry when they found out that all skills were based on weapon damage because abilities slowly getting stronger represented a slow growth of power

Amen!!!

This is why this game is considered a complete waste of potential.

You speak ah dah truth.

10/08/2014 08:40 AMPosted by swagman
If the purpose of the game was character leveling/growth and not a scavenger hunt, gear wouldn't be such a critical problem.

This man knows his games.

And we bring it full circle.

"You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."
-Abraham Lincoln
10/08/2014 08:48 AMPosted by tesserract1

Preach brotha...

Amen!!!

This is why this game is considered a complete waste of potential.

You speak ah dah truth.

10/08/2014 08:40 AMPosted by swagman
If the purpose of the game was character leveling/growth and not a scavenger hunt, gear wouldn't be such a critical problem.

This man knows his games.

And we bring it full circle.

"You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."
-Abraham Lincoln

Yes to everything this guy said and quoted.