Stash Space Response from BlizzCon Panel

Items and Crafting
Prev 1 32 33 34 35 Next
11/17/2014 01:48 PMPosted by mooplet
do you guys realize that it's not possible to add more stash space?

If they add stash space to EVERYONE'S accounts, even 1 tab, then that's millions and millions more items that would have to be stored on servers. That would take up millions of space, and would cost blizzard tons more in server costs!!!

There are not "millions" of people actively PLAYING Diablo 3 friend.. Millions may have bought it, but definitely arent constantly paying it..At most, i would say at any given time, there are 10's of thousands playing..

If you judge only the publlc games the most ive seen in the pas 2 months are less than 500 peoplle playing in T6(the most heavily populated) at peak times..Add with it the other difficulties, Bounty, Rift, Grift, and lol "Brawling" and it never adds up to 10,000. Not even close....That leaves private, and solo play, which obviously we have no way to measure..

And again, this is a 'Blizzard' issue.. We have a problem, they need to fix.. Its a design flaw, which hinders fundamental features in a loot hunting, gear dependant game, with more classes that community stash space! Its senseless!

As fot it being improbable for them to add "even one stash tab", they JUST did it with RoS...Unfortunatly, they also added a class, and quite a bit more crafting mats, gems, and a ton of set pcs, and new legendaries, trial keys, rift keys, greater rift keys, and lets not forget, adding the elemental affix which makes each set have multiple variations of uses.. Dont forget, ts a game were also supposed to play for "fun" and not only top ladder rank.. Fun is play that is like it sounds.. FUN.. SWK monmk for example isnt exactly fun, so itd be nice to be able to use bells, and whistles again, but alas, i have not the space!

-Diablo 3: Reaper of Stash/Space!
11/17/2014 04:06 PMPosted by Rizilliant
As fot it being improbable for them to add "even one stash tab", they JUST did it with RoS...Unfortunatly, they also added a class, and quite a bit more crafting mats, gems, and a ton of set pcs, and new legendaries, trial keys, rift keys, greater rift keys, and lets not forget, adding the elemental affix which makes each set have multiple variations of uses.. Dont forget, ts a game were also supposed to play for "fun" and not only top ladder rank.. Fun is play that is like it sounds.. FUN.. SWK monmk for example isnt exactly fun, so itd be nice to be able to use bells, and whistles again, but alas, i have not the space!

You do not know what they had to do to be able to add one tab. But here I will play the devils advocate. Your right they could easily add 65,000+ pages of stash like PlugY does for D2. After all it is real easy right. No technical limitations and you can be certain that there cannot possible be millions playing this game right. Mind showing us the proof, cause we all know that what we see in public games is no where near a good reflection of how many are actually playing this game.

The only ones that can know just how many are playing worldwide is Blizz themselves and they are not gonna give us those numbers. It would have to be more than what you assume according to the numbers of those in public games.

I have no doubt that the majority of the changes are to help increase the number of those playing this game. So I do believe that there are millions playing this game worldwide.
Blabla... blabla... bla.
We need more room.
End of the story.
I dont have a problem at all with stash space on D3. Because they give you the instant port to town and back to your map emptying your bag only takes 20 seconds. I can only actively play one char at a time so in effect I have a heap of other chars bags that can be used for storage as well.

Their comment *the more you have, the more you want* is very true. But in this instance we dont really need more we just need to utilise what we have better :D
I find this ridiculous for hardcore heroes. We need room.
i dunno if any1 pointed this out but...

in d2, we don't have to worry about stash space much because we simply make new characters by making new accounts to wear the gear for different builds. So after we got all the builds, we just do a few clicks and be able to play the specific build. If we feel bored at that build, we just log off that built character and log on to a diff built character and continue playing.

in d3, we don't have to level up character of the same Class because we can swap our skills/runes so freely and that changes our builds. However, we have to swap gear around. It actually is taking longer time to change builds in d3 than d2.
Now, on top of that, since we don't have different characters to carry the gear that are supposed to be worn on them for different builds. We are running out of stash space.
And on top of that, since all items are bound to account, we can't even create new account(even if it meant to buy a new copy) because we can't simply transfer our gear because of bound to account.

So back to the point, we are running out of stash space. Thank you!
Listen Devs,

Out of respect, look up to your forefathers Max and Erich Schaefer. Here's what they did in Torchlight. You can remove the Schaefer's Hammer and do this instead.
1. 1 Shared Stash and 1 Personal Stash.
2. Unlimited Characters!

Ok fine, I got you covered. We don't want to copy ideas. We have 1 stash that is composed of 5 tabs. Nice. Very original.
But inefficient. for 12 or 15 characters, we have just 5 tabs!?
In the above solution by Schaefer brothers, say 15 characters, they have equivalent to 15(!) tabs +1 global stash totalling to 16 tabs! not to mention the unlimited mules they can create.

But we love Diablo, and we don't want to play Torchlight instead...And we do understand that there has to be a limit on the number of characters.

If Torchlight have 16 tabs for 15 characters, I believe that the better Diablo 3 having more classes (and more build obviously) have the need for more epic legendaries to keep. Therefore its just logical that the game must provide more tabs than 16.

Solution:
What if we make the 2 tabs personal, and 1 shared tab, effectively reducing the tabs to three(3). This means we cut the loading time of the items to 60%.
But All in all, a 15-character edition would have 31 tabs! (i.e. (2x15)+1 ) But we all know that we don't have to load all the 31 tabs in a game, right? This is a win-win situation for both the devs and end-users.

And finally, we make all consumables be treated as resources, like gold and blood shards, that doesn't occupy stash space and have a counter beside their icon instead. Anyway, these crafting materials does not require interactions, not like before 2.0 that we can trade them or give them to our friends. Now, they just sit in the stash waiting to be consumed.

OK here's the ultimate deal. Lets make a pact, Make the 4 tabs personal and 1 tab shared...and we must never ever ask for more.

This deal invalidates the statement

If we give you more, then you'll ask for more.

What do you think? Deal or No Deal?
They just need to make crafting materials work the same way as gold and blood shards. That would easily free up a whole tab for me. Or they could just add 2 more tabs... When you have sets and play more then 3 classes, the current stash space situation isn't cutting it. End of story.
On Season, I have a whole tab for wizard stuff I've found and a whole tab for monk stuff I've found, and another tab for general stuff that I Want to keep post season, as well as a tab for rings/amulets, and then a tab for gems/mats/etc.

I have TWO characters on season and I've used 60-70% of my stash space. Not because I'm hoarding, but because I'm keeping my build options open.

EACH CHARACTER needs to have their own tab worth of space, +1-2 tabs for extra storage. For anyone who bought deluxe, that would be 15 tabs.
More shard stash wont help.. We WILL ask for more.. Shared stash is NOT helping.. Your sharing the same 5 pages for up to 15 characters worth of gear! Its insane!

The game NEEDS personal stash.. Plain and simple, and it seems to be the consensus among the community. Remove the need to stash mats, gems, and key/keystones. And give each created character his own page of personal. If we absolutely have to stay on 5 pages, turn 1 or 2 of them, into a personal page for each character.

Again, i like to point out, majority of the ney-sayers, have 1 to 3 characters, and/or crap gear. They dont know what its like in endgame, when youre playing 5-6 classes, and gearing for multple elements, specs, Grifts, T6, solo, group, and most importantly, fun! Where do we stash for "Fun" playstyles?
if we give you more, you will continue to ask for more”.

No friggin' space to hold gear that needed for different builds. Don't you understand the problem we have? We can do so much with the same character of the same Class but we can not do it because there is not enough space to hold the gear when we swap around to try different builds.
what is wrong with using the tabs we have now BUT make all items fit into 1 cube that would almost double the space we have now, like uber drops they go into 1 cube but are as big as pants..

If they add stash space to EVERYONE'S accounts, even 1 tab, then that's millions and millions more items that would have to be stored on servers. That would take up millions of space, and would cost blizzard tons more in server costs!!!

You are just completely wrong. This objection has been debunked many times already, yet people don't bother thinking. You are overestimating the price of storage (even with restore points and redundancy) and underestimating just how many items can be stored. Millions is nothing in hard drive land, even on a scale like this (especially so, actually).

Someone did a rough. conservative calculation of the worst case storage costs for adding a stash page for every player that bought the game. It ended up being 14 TB, which is a gross over estimate. You can download the gear loadouts for each and every seasons character somewhere (forget where). The resulting database is 3 GB, uncompressed with redundant information. This is ridiculously tiny.

If you want, do the rest of the math. The number is so small that I could set up a server rack in my basement that could supply the storage space needed for many additional stash spaces for every Diablo 3 player ever.

Get real. This is not the issue. Fitting the artwork on the screen required for more stash pages is a far greater engineering problem (lol). The most difficult hurdle to pass up are the devs and designers that are incompetent on a now infuriating level.
EASY FIX for all of our stash space problems. And yes, we sure need much more stash space. I did not read all the posts in this thread, so my apologies if this fix already was mentioned.

At the moment we have 5 shared stash tabs.

Just make 2 of them shared and 3 private for each individual char.
This would give us 47 tabs if we have 15 heroes.
Or 3 shared and 2 individual. This would give us 33 tabs.
Well, I like the 47 tabs option better :D

Voilà, every stash space problem is solved.
Is Deckard Cain's house for sale? Nobody is using it. Should be all sorts of real estate open in New Tristam.
11/17/2014 04:06 PMPosted by Rizilliant

There are not "millions" of people actively PLAYING Diablo 3 friend.. Millions may have bought it, but definitely arent constantly paying it..At most, i would say at any given time, there are 10's of thousands playing..

[/quote]

It doesn't matter if millions of players are playing.... you kiddies who don't know how computers work actually think that one player's stash costs a lot of server storage space... it doesn't.

One Diablo item can be stored in about 30 bytes. 30 friggin bytes. And that's being generous. Your crappy laptop's harddisk probably has 500 gigabytes of storage at least. You can fit around 16 billion items in one crappy 500gb harddisk. If one person had say 100 stash inventory tabs and each tab could hold say around 50 items, that would only be 5000 items each; that one low spec 500gb harddisk could hold ~3.2 million worth of player data (assuming each player had 100 inventory tabs -- we only have 5).

Even if you run that harddisk in RAID and have 2, even 3 or 4 servers up for redundancy, that would only cost a piddly amount for storage. Most servers come standard with terabytes of data storage and not mere gigabytes.

Believe me, you people who don't know how computers work outside of running iPad apps and playing games are completely wrong about the costs of running server space for player inventory.
11/17/2014 01:59 PMPosted by suprime
Yes, this is a problems for horders. Quit the whine

This is not a hoarder problem. this is a problem for people who love to play the game and like to plan out different builds, try everything with all classes.

You only have 3 level 1-8 characters, this is not a problem for someone who doesn't even play the game like you.

It's a design decision problem by the monkeys at Blizzard who think they know the right strategy to keep people glued to their game. Their thinking is probably something along the lines of,

"If people get all the loot they need, they'll stop playing our game. Let's limit their stash space, so that they are forced to smash rare items that they don't immediately need. Later on, when they find they do need it, they can spend another 100 hours grinding for it again! Genius. We don't even need to do anything and they keep running on the hamster wheel!"
11/08/2014 08:26 AMPosted by Greenhell
Josh & Wyatt need to go imo, we need developers passionate about the play base, instead they exude apathy.

This.
Stash space is fine. Response from Devs was fine. You're supposed to make choices about what to keep, not be able to keep everything. When you start paying 10$ a month to play, THEN you can whine. If not, as has been told countless times before, either quit or make your own stash-space simulatoré