Monk's damage

Monk
Dear Forums,
I'm not here often and have just came by to ask a simple question. I'm currently getting my monk equipped and I feel like there's something bugged about his damage. Currently my autoattack (Way of the hundred fists) is dealing about 4kk damage per attack and my Wave of Light is dealing 10kk. The point is that judging on the skills base damage only I'd say that if way of the hundred fists is dealing 4kk and I have +38% damage currenly on Wave of Light it should be dealing about 35-40kk damage.

Please tell me if I am getting something wrong with my calculations or character damage.

While we're at it I'd also appreciate if somebody explained to me random damage drops I'm experiencing on my Crusader on greater rifts during elite fights - it happens on elite with any modifier (I haven't noticed a shared modifier for elites that this happens on) and usually makes me fail a greater rift - all my damage is reduced 10-20 times (yes, shield bash dealing 3kk damage instead of 50kk) for single pack of elites only. If I ran towards a different pack during this elite fight the damage I would deal to this other pack would still be as normal. Any ideas?
Just give up on your monk. Seriously man as someone who has always mained a monk, it just isn't worth the pain.
11/11/2014 12:25 PMPosted by Parminio
Try using real numbers. I have no idea what 4kk is. Is that 40,000? 400,000? Is that per hit regular? Critical?

kk means million. It is a real number.\
k=1,000
kk=1,000 * 1,000 or 1,000^2
Try using real numbers. I have no idea what 4kk is. Is that 40,000? 400,000? Is that per hit regular? Critical?

the abreviation "kk" after a number is a common one that has been used around here since D3V (mostly for gold and more recently for damage). its meaning is "thousand thousand" and is simply the shortened form of "million". so when they write 4kk they are saying 4 million (4, 000, 000)

http://i.imgur.com/z15i0KN.png
Wave of Light splits its damage into three parts. Try casting it once, and then you'll see 3 damage numbers pop up.

In other words, when you expect 30 damage, it will instead give you 3 hits x 10 damage.

Aside from 1 second margin concerns, this will give you the exact same damage per minute as 1 x 30.

However, because critical strike is mandatory in this game, you will have less damage potential with 3x10.

However, you will have higher damage reliability.

It's similar to whether you would rather flip a coin once to see if you deal 100 damage or 0 damage vs. flipping a coin 100 times to see if you deal 1 damage or 0 damage, per hit.
11/11/2014 12:40 PMPosted by pwnage007

http://i.imgur.com/z15i0KN.png

lol!!!
11/11/2014 11:50 AMPosted by atresj
Dear Forums,
I'm not here often and have just came by to ask a simple question. I'm currently getting my monk equipped and I feel like there's something bugged about his damage. Currently my autoattack (Way of the hundred fists) is dealing about 4kk damage per attack and my Wave of Light is dealing 10kk. The point is that judging on the skills base damage only I'd say that if way of the hundred fists is dealing 4kk and I have +38% damage currenly on Wave of Light it should be dealing about 35-40kk damage.

Caelum got you covered on this part

While we're at it I'd also appreciate if somebody explained to me random damage drops I'm experiencing on my Crusader on greater rifts during elite fights - it happens on elite with any modifier (I haven't noticed a shared modifier for elites that this happens on) and usually makes me fail a greater rift - all my damage is reduced 10-20 times (yes, shield bash dealing 3kk damage instead of 50kk) for single pack of elites only. If I ran towards a different pack during this elite fight the damage I would deal to this other pack would still be as normal. Any ideas?

My guess is that you've run across Fallen Angels (act 5 mobs)? They put up a shield that reduces the damage of the type of element you used. So if you attacked them with holy (most used element for Saders), they'll get a shield that protects them against holy. Your course of action is to use a different element, or approach them with an off element skill, so that the shield will not be useful against your main attacks.
11/11/2014 12:29 PMPosted by Bratag
Just give up on your monk. Seriously man as someone who has always mained a monk, it just isn't worth the pain.

My monk is pretty fun to play just got t5/6 viable.
ONce i finally get ahold of the new GUngdo gear bracers itll be epic