"We learned a lot from the first season"

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 8 Next
Pylons are meant to give you a surge of power and can (in most circumstances) add an additional layer of excitement to Greater Rifts. We love the variety they provide, but agree that their current implementation missed the mark and can have a negative impact on your Greater Rift experience, especially at the top end.

Rather than remove them outright (which would remove some of the fun in Greater Rifts), we'll instead be making several changes to bring the different types of pylons more into alignment. The changes we currently have planned include buffing Shield, Power, Speed, and Channeling pylons so that each type feels equally meaningful (or at least comparable) to Conduit pylons as well as balancing out their distribution so that you’re finding pylons more consistently.

Of course, these changes will be available for testing on the 2.1.2 PTR, so we'll be listening closely to your feedback on how the new/improved pylons feel in practice. Hands on experience will provide a lot of context to the posts we’re seeing right now, so please take some time if you can and let know how these changes work out!
Could you at least do something for that Speed Pylon, it's more annoying than useful. All it basicly does is to ensure my ranged character goes in to melee range before realizing I wanted to attack.
And as lon as your kill speed can't cope, then the only real use is to gain more ground - like when you've entered a blindway or got to far away from your team mates, or died and had to revive at checkpoint
Y'know what I just read?

"All pylons are a problem in GRifts but conduit pylons are a huge problem. To balance this, we're going to make all other pylons as big a problem as conduit pylons. Now all pylons are a huge problem."

Really not what most of us were hoping for. On the other hand, solution: I say, do what you want but make the bosses disable/defbuff any and all active pylons. Fairly sure that's the biggest issue for leaderboards anyhow.
11/13/2014 03:31 PMPosted by Tyvalir
Of course, these changes will be available for testing on the 2.1.2 PTR, so we'll be listening closely to your feedback on how the new/improved pylons feel in practice. Hands on experience will provide a lot of context to the posts we’re seeing right now, so please take some time if you can and let know how these changes work out!

Just like you listened closely to all the ptr feedback from 2.1 that could have avoided most of the problems in the first place?
11/13/2014 03:54 PMPosted by Shimrra
Y'know what I just read?

"All pylons are a problem in GRifts but conduit pylons are a huge problem. To balance this, we're going to make all other pylons as big a problem as conduit pylons. Now all pylons are a huge problem."

Really not what most of us were hoping for. On the other hand, solution: I say, do what you want but make the bosses disable/defbuff any and all active pylons. Fairly sure that's the biggest issue for leaderboards anyhow.

They won't be a huge problem if you encounter pylons like every single rift. Consistency is never a problem, it was the randomness that was. fail GR40, fail GR40, fail GR40, fail GR40, succeed with impunity @ GR40 because of pylon. Now you should succeed or fail at that level regardless of pylons power.
The current plans I heard in Blizzcon reports is that Speed and Shield Pylons last twice as long, Speed also knocks up enemies you run through and Shield reflects all damage you would've taken and also explodes for massive AoE damage at the end.
The changes we currently have planned include buffing Shield, Power, Speed, and Channeling pylons so that each type feels equally meaningful (or at least comparable) to Conduit pylons as well as balancing out their distribution so that you’re finding pylons more consistently.

I watched the Blizzcon video, I'm aware of your announced intentions with the pylons, but you don't seem to be addressing the issue that Conduit pylon = bosskiller for builds like Raekor Barb. Either some builds just need a straight up single target damage buff, followed by a conduit nerf, or builds that NEED conduits for this purpose will still continue to fish for them (albeit with better odds).

All your announced changes suggest is that shield pylon will now do as much damage as a conduit with invulnerability (making it strictly better) or still do less damage (making it useless for what people use conduits for). Speed pylon still doesn't sound very useful even after knocking up enemies, etc. I don't want enemies knocked around (unless I'm a raekor barb in which case I do it anyway, without a pylon) I need them dead to fill that meter faster.
Tyvalir, will Pylons still apply damage to the Rift Guardian or will the damage to the Rift Guardian change?

I welcome the addition of the new pylons but the major reason why Conduit is such a problem is because it's being reserved for the Guardian.

Are there plans to address that specific issue?
11/13/2014 04:01 PMPosted by SOC
The current plans I heard in Blizzcon reports is that Speed and Shield Pylons last twice as long, Speed also knocks up enemies you run through and Shield reflects all damage you would've taken and also explodes for massive AoE damage at the end.

Whoa! Say goodbye conduit pylon, say hello going really fast and knocking back mobs, im sure that will kill a boss in 5 seconds flat.

Mind officially blown by the blue response that proves the OP went *SHEWM* right over his head.
For f-cks sake if you're not removing conduit (WHY NOT AGAIN??????) from greater rift at least nerf it so that one conduit shrine does not equal a free rift guardian kill.
so...they adding more conduits,,,isnt that the problem,,people wanted them removed,,now ur adding more lmao.....wow, From what i've noticed is that whenever people ask for somthing they purposly do the opposite...big shocker there.
Pylons are meant to give you a surge of power and can (in most circumstances) add an additional layer of excitement to Greater Rifts. We love the variety they provide, but agree that their current implementation missed the mark and can have a negative impact on your Greater Rift experience, especially at the top end.

Rather than remove them outright (which would remove some of the fun in Greater Rifts), we'll instead be making several changes to bring the different types of pylons more into alignment. The changes we currently have planned include buffing Shield, Power, Speed, and Channeling pylons so that each type feels equally meaningful (or at least comparable) to Conduit pylons as well as balancing out their distribution so that you’re finding pylons more consistently.

RNG was never the problem with pylons. The problem is we have to rely on conduits to succeed in higher greater rifts. Making pylons appear consistently in greater rifts will only exacerbate the underlying problem. Speaking from a barbarian's perspective, we have no good way to deal with rift guardians at higher levels.

Do you really want us to kill Rift Guardians in 5 seconds with conduit? Then don't bother balancing Rift Guardians at all. Conduits will make RG battle non-existent and isn't that removing part of the 'fun' too?
Hands on experience will provide a lot of context to the posts we’re seeing right now, so please take some time if you can and let know how these changes work out!

"let us know"
My OD told me to do it.
They didn't learn a damn thing
Rather than remove them outright (which would remove some of the fun in Greater Rifts)

FUN??!! Can you pleas elaborate how pylons are fun? because i don't get that part.

Haha. Oh wow. This is definitely the stupidest response to the issue and completely misses the entire point of the complaint.
11/13/2014 03:57 PMPosted by whistler

Just like you listened closely to all the ptr feedback from 2.1 that could have avoided most of the problems in the first place?

This

Nothing like your ptr feedback being ignored to make you less likely to test again.
11/13/2014 04:56 PMPosted by mokitosh
Rather than remove them outright (which would remove some of the fun in Greater Rifts)

FUN??!! Can you pleas elaborate how pylons are fun? because i don't get that part.

It's fun to see monsters melt for a few seconds. If you forget the fact they're being fished, it's actually quite funny. Of course, in order for this to be better, they need to actually fill up the damn GRs. If they set it as regular rifts and it will be good.

Conduits aren't responsible for sloppy class balance. What Logos said is very true. Conduits shouldn't be the only way for X or Y class to achieve the necessary dps to deal with a RG just because the available toolset is lackluster to face them.
Hands on experience will provide a lot of context to the posts we’re seeing right now, so please take some time if you can and let know how these changes work out!

GRs are COMPETITIVE.

YOU CANNOT KEEP A RNG CHANCE TO DESTROY THE RG INSTANTLY WHAT PART OF THIS DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND.

REMOVE THE CONDUIT AKA INSTA-WIN PYLON.