Anyone still play LOD?

Games & Technology
Firstly, a disclaimer that I'm very much a single player style of gamer; I've basically only ever played LOD SP. That said, I would definitely answer "yes" to the thread title. I know I played more D2 than D3 in the past 3 weeks, although that isn't saying much (gotta get those new champions on League!), and I have a feeling D2 is going to have more "longevity" than D3 for me - that is, in 20 years, I find myself more likely to be playing D2 than D3.

It might be because "efficient" play was never a high priority for me, so it doesn't bother me that I never did that online SOJ-trading rune-duping grind to 99 scene. It was a wonderful enough feeling just getting one Matriarch in SP over the course of ~9 years and I feel like it'll probably be fun enough to get even more Matriarchs and Patriarchs.

Anyways, that was slightly off-topic, but so was Shanso, so I think it balances out in the end. Happy hunting, I guess.
11/10/2014 12:52 PMPosted by Shanso
You first mistake is believing free software (games) is actually free!

Your second is hanging on to a memory.

thank you for pointing out my mistakes...even if you have nothing else of value to contribute...
11/10/2014 01:02 PMPosted by Dieftw
11/10/2014 12:52 PMPosted by Shanso
You first mistake is believing free software (games) is actually free!

Your second is hanging on to a memory.

thank you for pointing out my mistakes...even if you have nothing else of value to contribute...
Glad I could be of assistance!
11/10/2014 01:01 PMPosted by Caelum
I played more D2 than D3 in the past 3 weeks, although that isn't saying much (gotta get those new champions on League!), and I have a feeling D2 is going to have more "longevity" than D3 for me - that is, in 20 years, I find myself more likely to be playing D2 than D3.

for any other game, it's probably one of the few that is still being talked about to this day. i've played from the begining of classic, almost up to the release of d3(i just couldn't really get into wow). i've played a lot of stuff in between waiting from d3 announcements, but always went back to d2(history repeats itself yet again lol). there have been great times in d2, and not so great times...what put a nail in the coffin for d2's later years was the increasingly rampant hacking that was becoming the norm in d2 and making hardcore, pretty much unplayable and unfair in pvp. pvp was the greatest. especially duels and low level duels...but in hardcore, cheating made it nearly impossible to play fairly...but i've read they took care of some cheating and botting in recent years, so i really think i just might install it on this machine and give it a go again.
11/10/2014 12:57 PMPosted by Plukovnik
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that all D2 official servers are down. I was trying run D2 multiplayer only thru Tungle program, but wasnt lucky to join to single one with my HC character :-(

They are most definitely up, played for a couple hours yesterday on USEAST.
will start playing in 26 november
the fact that jah ber sets go down to about 1-500fg after the 1st day says the season is over before it actually even really starts..

if they could get rid of the dupers the game would be at least a bit more fun for possibly a few weeks rather than the economy being totally screwed after 3 days.
11/10/2014 12:00 PMPosted by Shadovex
Sure! You can play along side of the 10,000 farming bots and other automation bots. Also you can fill up on the best loot for like 10$ over at d2items!! Sounds like the good 'ol times eh?

"There's no heart in game development anymore" - Or you have experienced a lot of different games over the years and things seem to bore you quite quickly now?

If LoD was a great as you remember, you wouldn't have uninstalled it.

I wish I could like this a thousand times.
I have many level 99's in softcore and hardcore

will be racing hardcore classic ladder when it resets this time
if anyone wants a challenge hardcore classic ladder will be for you
11/10/2014 02:42 PMPosted by RunningFast
Sure! You can play along side of the 10,000 farming bots and other automation bots. Also you can fill up on the best loot for like 10$ over at d2items!! Sounds like the good 'ol times eh?

"There's no heart in game development anymore" - Or you have experienced a lot of different games over the years and things seem to bore you quite quickly now?

I wish I could like this a thousand times.

even if you could, you're still just 1 person who's opinion isn't shared by everyone on earth...and guess what? your comment is as pointless to the discussion as his was.

thanks for your contribution.
11/10/2014 03:00 PMPosted by TokeJohnson
I have many level 99's in softcore and hardcore

will be racing hardcore classic ladder when it resets this time
if anyone wants a challenge hardcore classic ladder will be for you

glad to hear it, best of luck!

i wouldnt mind playing classic too...but that view setting!
If i could have D3's stash system in D2 LOD i would play right now. The xfering of items one by one on multiple mules i just can't stand to do that anymore but if it wasn't for that i would probably still be playing D2 Lod. I miss teleporting/hammering/cowing/chaosing/baaling/Uquesting/Dclone Hunting and last but not least 8 players games that had life to them.

So no i'm not playing but damn i want to ;)
11/10/2014 03:20 PMPosted by Svud
If i could have D3's stash system in D2 LOD i would play right now. The xfering of items one by one on multiple mules i just can't stand to do that anymore but if it wasn't for that i would probably still be playing D2 Lod. I miss teleporting/hammering/cowing/chaosing/baaling/Uquesting/Dclone Hunting and last but not least 8 players games that had life to them.

lol, understood.
i don't think i'd go that far again tho and save gear and perm games/xfer like i use to, but who knows...lol.
11/10/2014 12:57 PMPosted by Plukovnik
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that all D2 official servers are down.

I'm playing at EU right now.

If LoD wasn't as great as I remember, I would not remember it that way.
You see -- I measure my fun in... amount of fun I've had, NOT the amount of time I sat in front of the computer.

Call of Duty: CoD4 > MW2 > BO2 > MW3 > BO1

Baldur's Gate: BG2 > ToB > BG1 > DA2 > DA

Neverwinter Nights: NWN1 > MotB > HotU > SoU > NWN2

Diablo: LoD > D2 > D1 > D3
D2 patches: 1.09 > 1.10 > 1.13 -- Synergies ruined more than they added, overall -- because many skills required synergies, and many skills became useless because they did not have synergies, or because they had too many.
Moved to General Gaming subforum XD
11/10/2014 11:48 AMPosted by Dieftw
Thinking of jumping back on to LoD. A lot of games today just suck really hard. There's no heart in game development anymore. Free games are just bad 99.9 % of the time, or either p2w or so limiting they practically force you to use shops and most of the time, after a week or so, you just end up quitting coz there's no real substance to the game. It's kinda sad that I'd rather use my computer to play a really old game vs the loads of garbage, companies try to pass off as games today...but what can I say...game developers were actually passionate about their games back in the day...

I read somewhere a new season/ladder started recently and there's still a fairly good population(no doubt many are bots), but just thought I'd ask in GD if LoD is being played and what its current situation is.

I've google to find a still used/current D2 forum/message board...but was unlucky. Anyone know if there's still a place where a community still gather?

YES

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/forums/diablo-2-community-forum.2/

and

http://us.battle.net/en/forum/12790218/
sure, my name on USEast is Netwraith

I created an Assassin earlier today and am finishing up Act 1 now.

I have no characters, they all expired. Haven't played since this spring.