[PRE-BALANCE] Esoteric Alteration Gem

Items and Crafting
Everyone knows purely defensive gems are unattractive. Though they give more survivability, being able to take more hits doesn’t translate into killing more efficiently or faster, which, as we have seen, in Greater Rifts at least, far more important. To that effect, this is my proposed change:

Gain 30% non physical damage reduction, increasing as your health drops, up to a maximum of 75% when your health drops to 50% or less.
Level 25: Increase non-physical damage by 10%, increasing as your health drops, up to a maximum of 25% when your health drops to 50% or less

This gives the gem an attractive Risk Reward mechanism where you get stronger as your health drops and you’ll want to remain steadily at a weakened state to take advantage of your increased resistance and damage.
The new Legendary Gems are a work in progress, and the numbers you saw during our BlizzCon panels will likely change over time as players test them on the PTR server, and as we continue collecting feedback from the community.

It's great to hear your early insights into one of them, though. I'll be interested to see what new insights you have once you've sampled its powers on the PTR! :)
11/12/2014 09:47 AMPosted by Tyvalir
The new Legendary Gems are a work in progress, and the numbers you saw during our BlizzCon panels will likely change over time as players test them on the PTR server, and as we continue collecting feedback from the community.

It's great to hear your early insights into one of them, though. I'll be interested to see what new insights you have once you've sampled its powers on the PTR! :)

When can we play the PTR?!!
"Currently in development" clearly states there is no set date on it
Yea,that sounds like an interesting gem :) Although I will be probably happier if Blizzard decides to add runes and good old runewords :) ...
11/11/2014 09:19 AMPosted by MasterSpark
Gain 30% non physical damage reduction, increasing as your health drops, up to a maximum of 75% when your health drops to 50% or less.
Level 25: Increase non-physical damage by 10%, increasing as your health drops, up to a maximum of 25% when your health drops to 50% or less

Worst gem idea ever for a couple reasons.

1.) Eye of Etlich is currently BiS because it has %Ranged Damage Reduction. I shouldn't have to tell you why people who already have this would be disgruntled at best.

2.) We already have an item better than the Rank 25 bonus (and it's just as useless because there is no way to maintain such a low amount of health):

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/shi-mizus-haori

Go fish.

Thank you for the surprisingly reply. That was certainly unexpected, to get a blue response on my topic. Well, as with all work in progress, I’m just throwing in my 2 cents before the full, permanent implementation in the vain attempt at making my personal preferences implemented, rather than the developer’s proposed vision of it.

And as you all have noticed already, based on the graph that YOU YOURSELVES have shown at Blizzcon, defensive gem utility is what, used by 1% of the playerbase? Why are you repeating the same thing and expecting a different result? There’s a famous internet saying I’m sure you’re familiar with about people repeating mistakes and not choosing to alter their approach right?

Well, I do look forward to testing this gem once it hits the PTR, but again, there is a fundamental flaw here that numbers alone do not address, so I most certainly hope that you’ll revisit more than just numbers, by the time the PTR is released. Thank you for your response, I hope my opinion is clear, best of luck.
11/12/2014 10:52 AMPosted by DrunkTank

1.) Eye of Etlich is currently BiS because it has %Ranged Damage Reduction. I shouldn't have to tell you why people who already have this would be disgruntled at best.

2.) We already have an item better than the Rank 25 bonus (and it's just as useless because there is no way to maintain such a low amount of health):

Go fish.

1. Not sure why someone using EoE can’t also use this legendary gem? Care to explain? As far as I know, non-elemental damage reduction doesn’t in any way make ranged damage reduction any less effective (Multiplicative effect?).
2. As for shi mitsu’s, maintaining near 50% health is far less dangerous than staying at 20-25% (Since the premise of the original gem was that the lower your health the harder you are to kill (unlike Shi Mitzu Haori which is a much higher risk, since it provides no mitigation)).

I know, since I’m ranked on leaderboards for solo wizards, what works and what doesn’t, what I need to push further, and what could help/wouldn’t help. My proposition would give me survivability and a slight dps advantage with a so-so risk reward system that may or may not allow me to push even further depending on how much risk I’m willing to take, and how balanced the numbers are. I think it’s a worthwhile idea, theoretically, and nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be.

Go fish.

I would love item that capps out my hp at 25%, I could at least run this haori thingy in t6 rifts. Its utterly useless :(
Greetings. This is my first post to the Diablo 3 forums, just as a disclaimer.

I really like the idea the OP proposes. I have also found many Shi Mizu's Haori's and like the legendary power attached to it. However, and perhaps this reflects my skill level in playing D3, I find it difficult to maintain a targeted Life % in order to use the legendary ability effectively. The push-pull relationship between healing and receiving damage often means I am at a full health for long periods of time, dead, or briefly somewhere in between during combat. I like the idea of somehow "reserving" Life, similar to how Path of Exile allows you to "reserve" Mana. I do not play much PoE, but I think it would be fun and interesting to see a similar concept in D3.

Go fish.

Why does the amulet matter? Is there some bad synergy with the ranged dmg reduction and this gem?

On your other item. This is a gem. The base affects of this gem is some defense and some offense. Nothing about that affix on the chest gives you anything unless you are below 25%. At full health the gem still does something.

Now I'm not saying the gem is perfect, but I don't understand why you are doing these comparisons.
i want to test that gem with my barb, i imagine immortality.

Go fish.
Yo what up dude

As long as the numbers are not lowered it may be useful. Anything lower than what was shown at blizcon will make the gem useless. in fat it may need to be buffed more to compare with higher g rifts. What really needs to happen with gems is each time they are lvled there should be a significant improvement that helps you on that next g rift lvl
Hey Tyvalir,
you wrote there will be more usages of normal gems and it is good idea to stack them. I didnt notice at blizcon anyone mentioning these...

Oh please do not forget about HC players when balancing those gems, those are supposed to be more important to HC players than SC!
Everyone knows purely defensive gems are unattractive. Though they give more survivability, being able to take more hits doesn’t translate into killing more efficiently or faster, which, as we have seen, in Greater Rifts at least, far more important. To that effect, this is my proposed change:

This gives the gem an attractive Risk Reward mechanism where you get stronger as your health drops and you’ll want to remain steadily at a weakened state to take advantage of your increased resistance and damage.

uhm... no? as a player of a full support wd I find straight defense gems welcoming. there are already striaght dmg gems, it's time for support builds to get more love.
11/12/2014 06:29 PMPosted by Kasey

uhm... no? as a player of a full support wd I find straight defense gems welcoming. there are already striaght dmg gems, it's time for support builds to get more love.

Well I suppose I shouldn't generalize all players, but Blizzard did admit that outside the 3-4 gems used by pretty much everyone, the rest of the gems were sitting at 1-2% useage. Just trying to find a balance between defense/offensive gems that players in all builds would go for, not just straight DPS gems, and not just purely defensive gems for a zDPS build.
So are we getting higher gear levels the further you get into GR's or are we stuck with gear that was only ment for T6 clearing and lack lustered defensive gems?
@KomiKazie;

Work in progress / currently in development same difference. Put 2
and 2 together and figure it out. Your arrogance has been documented
and reported!