first time playthrough - expert game is boring

General Discussion
OK im one of those guys who doesnt play through a game a second time with a char.
(too repetitive)

So for me, playing a barb on expert ruined the game for me because its way too easy. I gave up around level 20 - as it got really boring and was no challenge at all. (same with Wiz)

So please either make the difficulties above expert available right from the start or get rid of that monster scaling (man hate that in every game - as you get no sense of progression). Also the amount of health regeneration you can amass is ludicrous.
12/01/2014 10:30 AMPosted by mckracken
So please either make the difficulties above expert available right from the start

Isn't higher difficulty available in Adventure Mode right away?

That's how I'm leveling up my HC characters on the PTR.......
The higher difficulties don't really make the game harder, they just keep the game paced the same as your gear gets better.
i often wonder what some people actually do on this game.

you gave up on level 20? that literally takes 10-30minutes of solo play.

dont even talk about difficulty scaling at level 20. nobody cares at all. its a non-issue. most people spend 10minutes max at that level if that.

you're the definition of entitled.
Well lets not fool ourselfes. For someone that wants to play through campaign once d3 is total garbage.

It is build for endgame. Killing stuff at level 70. Only for that. Still quite garbage tho but not that much.
12/01/2014 10:32 AMPosted by KhalARon
So please either make the difficulties above expert available right from the start

Isn't higher difficulty available in Adventure Mode right away?

That's how I'm leveling up my HC characters on the PTR.......

It sucks because really higher difficulty is just the same difficulty as easy but everything has bloated numbers.

Mechanically, if you blanked out all the numbers, no one watching a player play, would be able to judge what difficulty the given player is playing on.... for the most part until you reach T4~6 and even then people would sit there and be like "damn this is boring, how many times do you have to swing an axe at a mob till it dies???" its like watching a paladin hit a wall with a stick for 10 minutes.... <.< its not hard its just boring.
http://youtu.be/eqSFu3IU_hI?t=1m18s

Everything in this game scales horribly because the itemization and stat systems suck *&()&*)(
12/01/2014 10:37 AMPosted by Polaris
The higher difficulties don't really make the game harder, they just keep the game paced the same as your gear gets better.

yeah i sort of noticed that, whereas on normal i never died, on expert i died 1 time only.
For level 20 it took me around 8 hours - reading every book, talking to everyone, enjoying the scenery.

Oh well, i guess game balance these days is geared toward those crazy types who hack away for a week to get from level 91 to 92.

Back to Diablo 2...
12/01/2014 03:49 PMPosted by mckracken
yeah i sort of noticed that, whereas on normal i never died, on expert i died 1 time only.
For level 20 it took me around 8 hours - reading every book, talking to everyone, enjoying the scenery.

Only time you die in Diablo III is when you just completely stop giving a crap about what is going on in the game, (because you rarely need to ever know wtf is going on , on screen to play), and then you die after 20 minutes of not paying attention ^^....
Then you hit the "come back to life right where I died because this game is lame and death is pointless button" and then you carry on doing what you were doing or log off.

Even death is pointless in DIII it serves no purpose, you might as well just have infinity life with the current death/re-spawn system, the net effect on gameplay is exactly the same.
The game doesn't really start until you reach level 70 and even then you've got a ways to go before you get the enjoyment of set bonuses and powerful builds. It can be a very frustrating game which takes a lot of time before you get good enough to enjoy it. BUT, once you do get there, it can be very enjoyable.

And to the person above me who said
Then you hit the "come back to life right where I died because this game is lame and death is pointless button" and then you carry on doing what you were doing or log off.

Apparently you've never heard of a grift.
12/01/2014 04:10 PMPosted by Zero187

The system is lame and didn't catch my interest.... did one and just logged off because its same junk all over again, needless to say I did not die in it.
I literally bought ROS, cleared it, did a few rifts, did one grift and never played again because everyone that bought the expansion quit 3 days before me.

I can honestly say I don't feel like I missed out on anything.

By time I start playing again (if ever) all the junk you guys are aimlessly farming in your "grifts"will be worthless anyway.
12/01/2014 04:18 PMPosted by Sphyxiate
12/01/2014 04:10 PMPosted by Zero187

The system is lame and didn't catch my interest.... did one and just logged off because its same junk all over again, needless to say I did not die in it.
I literally bought ROS, cleared it, did a few rifts, did one grift and never played again because everyone that bought the expansion quit 3 days before me.

I can honestly say I don't feel like I missed out on anything.

By time I start playing again (if ever) all the junk you guys are aimlessly farming in your "grifts"will be worthless anyway.

"Junk" we're aimlessly farming? Yea, it's really clear you have no idea what you're talking about. You sound like the virgin trying to defend why sex is bad.

It's not about gear anymore, it's about progression. Working my way up the ranks and getting as far up the leaderboard as possible. Competition. Right now I'm ranked #190 and moving my way up which is a BLAST. Every week I set goals and aim for a higher grift difficulty. Hoping to beat a 40 solo grift this weekend!
^^ level 100 troll, please go back to WoW. The entitlement in this thread is breathtaking
12/01/2014 04:22 PMPosted by Zero187
"Junk" we're aimlessly farming? Yea, it's really clear you have no idea what you're talking about. You sound like the virgin trying to defend why sex is bad.

It's not about gear anymore, it's about progression. Working my way up the ranks and getting as far up the leaderboard as possible. Competition. Right now I'm ranked #190 and moving my way up which is a BLAST. Every week I set goals and aim for a higher grift difficulty. Hoping to beat a 40 solo grift this weekend!

Competing against what? some bots?
So for me, playing a barb on expert ruined the game for me because its way too easy. I gave up around level 20 - as it got really boring and was no challenge at all. (same with Wiz)

If you have played this game,where is your profile then?

All I see is no Profile with your account
Well, they designed the entire game and then released an expansion that basically made playing the game pointless.

(As if it wasn't pointless enough, but I digress)

The entire philosophy behind D3 is to suck in the ADHD children that just gotta get their special effects and explosion fix. So the game is streamlined to facilitate that.

If you want something that is actually challenging or mentally engaging then you definitely came to the wrong game.
12/01/2014 04:33 PMPosted by Tetra
Well, they designed the entire game and then released an expansion that basically made playing the game pointless.

(As if it wasn't pointless enough, but I digress)

The entire philosophy behind D3 is to suck in the ADHD children that just gotta get their special effects and explosion fix. So the game is streamlined to facilitate that.

If you want something that is actually challenging or mentally engaging then you definitely came to the wrong game.

I agree dumb generation, Dumb Game for Dumb Generation , but how many times you gona play chess and starcraft 1? ^^ . . . no new games (say post starcraft 1) are really that challenging , which is sad... the trend seems to be to replace pvp and challenging pve mechanics with monotonous tasks and a lot of time wasted.

How far you play in these games is not measured by any reflex or level of knowledge about the game, but by how many hours you can devote to doing some trivial boring task.
@mckracken

Once you get a character to level 60 you get all the Torments unlocked
even for new characters, it does suck just because you need to get to 60
before unlocking Torment.

For your 2nd/3rd ext characters you make you can jump into T6 if you like
but that kind restriction should have never been added from the start just
like you said,
quote> remove it and allow for higher difficulty from the start.

But I do have to say that you cant just go to level 20 and quit with out
going to higher levels and see how the difficulty was going to play out.
12/01/2014 03:49 PMPosted by mckracken
Back to Diablo 2...

You mean Torchlight 2, Grim Dawn, or PoE right?
12/01/2014 04:42 PMPosted by Sphyxiate
I agree dumb generation, Dumb Game for Dumb Generation , but how many times you gona play chess and starcraft 1? ^^ . . . no new games (say post starcraft 1) are really that challenging , which is sad... the trend seems to be to replace pvp and challenging pve mechanics with monotonous tasks and a lot of time wasted.

How far you play in these games is not measured by any reflex or level of knowledge about the game, but by how many hours you can devote to doing some trivial boring task.

I don't know what games you play but there are tons of games out there that require knowledge skills, or reflex skills, or problem solving skills.

Lot's of people like to make the claim that D3 is a simple "hack and slash" game, but ironically the Hack/Slash genre has some of the highest skill requirements of any game out there.

Just try playing God of War, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, or Metal Gear Rising on a high difficulty setting and you will see what happens. Those types of games are geared towards highly skilled players that have to learn the moves and learn how to dodge/block or else you get your a$$ handed to you.

Another great example is the combat system in Batman Arkham City. In that game there are many different types of enemies and you have to execute different moves/actions according to the enemy you are fighting. As I played the Batman Arkham games I saw a noticeable increase in my ability to take on larger and more complex groups of enemies because the game did a great job of teaching me how to play and rewarded me for playing well.

There are many other games I could list that require high levels of skill in both a PvE and PvP aspect.

Luck isn't a skill no matter how you slice it. That's why so many people get frustrated with D3. The gameplay doesn't engage the player because they feel like success and failure aren't things that they can actively control. It's not bad to have some luck involved in a game, but D3 takes it way overboard.

In D2 you didn't have to rely on luck for 95% of your progression like you do in D3. If you couldn't find a certain piece of gear you could still grind some levels to put more points into the skills you use and that would increase your power too. You could also earn quest rewards that gave you power. Simply put, you had other ways of obtaining power. But in D3 you pretty much have to just use gear to advance, and gear is found entirely through luck.
12/01/2014 04:22 PMPosted by Zero187

i used to be like you.

made my way up to the first page of the leaderboard and actually stayed there for quite a while.

then i realized it was stupid. because the "competition" you're so interested in has nothing to do with skill, and all to do with being lucky and getting a dense rift with afk dusteaters and if lady luck is really shining on you, a conduit pylon at the end for the rg.

it's about as competitive as rolling a die.

you can't use "competition" in d3 to justify end game. there is absolutely none.