What about a Map editor to make the game alive again?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next
12/13/2014 08:20 AMPosted by plouyd
community created content is always better than the original stuff because the fans are more passionate than the developers. :D they also aren't in it for the loot $$$.

Actually most user made material is crap, but there is always going to be some interesting and genuinely useful mods to come out when customization is permitted. I just do not think ActiBlizz are interested in allowing things like that anymore. Instead of players being able to use the D3 engine to create some content they would prefer if people would go and re-sub with WoW. I understand why ActiBlizz do it. From a gamers point of view however it is disappointing.
12/12/2014 01:16 PMPosted by BobWitchDR
You will never see mod support for this game. The developers would be embarrassed by the amount of amazing content the community would create. Custom maps fall into that category.

This. Unfortunately. :-(

The devs have a clue how bad they are and would never open up an avenue to prove it.
12/13/2014 08:38 AMPosted by Bouldergore
12/12/2014 03:43 PMPosted by hucka
*sigh*

since you probably wont get it if i ask you to quote me where i said it:
yes, offline is a negative
and if that really is news to you, well, then youre pretty new to the internet as well and have alot to learn

Righhhht.....so every game made before 2000 sucked.....

if thats what you get from my post then you really really need to work on your english skills

and till then !@#$ ofc cause nothing useful will come from you anyway

elementary school english aint enough in the real world
This game would be beyond Epic if Blizzard would give us the ability to do this!
12/12/2014 09:36 PMPosted by anurok
Either way, he put mobas on the map. You can't really deny that. And how did he do it? With blizzards map editor.

There is no denying that a Map editor, if done correctly, does nothing but benefit us.

Agreed. Just imagine how amazingly expansive could the game become with something like a campaign editor. You don't even need to allow access to item/character databases. I'm pretty sure well-versed fellows would really be able to come up with some surprisingly thorough contributions to the lore of the game. I'm pretty sure just for the heck of it some crazy modder would remake D2 in D3's engine and outplay Blizzard right away lol. I mean, modders gave origin to MOBAs, and have drastically enhanced the potential of many games. It's pretty short sighted how some folks limit their perception of mods to cheats and hacks. Laughable, even.

Hmmm.....
Oh man, I am so naive. Just a few moments ago I was like "sweet! here's 4 pages of awesome suggestions for D3 modding. Gee, I sure loved the old WC3 fun maps with PvP and Tower Defense, even though they never were anything near balanced."
Now I am all my usual hating-the-world self again. Thanks to a couple of people who wouldn't recognize a good time to "Get A Room!" if it kicked them in the bizzalls XD

Seriously though, I love the idea. More power to the OP! :)

Edit: To address worries about hacks and such, just add functionality to democratically kick a player from your game, and add them to a no-no list. That is all the anti-cheat policing I would need to have a good time.
12/13/2014 02:15 PMPosted by Empyrean
Oh man, I am so naive. Just a few moments ago I was like "sweet! here's 4 pages of awesome suggestions for D3 modding. Gee, I sure loved the old WC3 fun maps with PvP and Tower Defense, even though they never were anything near balanced."
Now I am all my usual hating-the-world self again. Thanks to a couple of people who wouldn't recognize a good time to "Get A Room!" if it kicked them in the bizzalls XD

You're welcome.
12/13/2014 02:19 PMPosted by BobWitchDR
You're welcome.

Yeah, thanks mate^^
12/12/2014 02:18 PMPosted by WildPants

This coming from the person who automatically associates the word mod with "cheat and hack."

Your troll nub is showing.

cause the ability to mod a game opens a way to create cheats/hacks?

smart people know that, only the haters seem to have a problem understanding that

You're some kind of stupid.
12/13/2014 02:22 PMPosted by Empyrean
12/13/2014 02:19 PMPosted by BobWitchDR
You're welcome.

Yeah, thanks mate^^

/shrug

I'm not going to act like I was in the right yesterday, nor am I willing to apologize for it. I have no tolerance or patience for people like Deadru or his mini-ego Wildpants. They don't care about this game or the people who wish to see it become amazing. They only come here to troll.

Obviously, I did nothing to improve the situation, so I have no leg to stand on in regards to any kind of moral ground, nor am I trying to make that claim. I'll attack the trolls without remorse, every time. They can shove off, the whole lot of them.
<span class="truncated">...</span>
cause the ability to mod a game opens a way to create cheats/hacks?

smart people know that, only the haters seem to have a problem understanding that

You're some kind of stupid.

at least i see the reality

unlike you haters

12/13/2014 02:35 PMPosted by BobWitchDR
12/13/2014 02:22 PMPosted by Empyrean

Yeah, thanks mate^^

/shrug

I'm not going to act like I was in the right yesterday, nor am I willing to apologize for it. I have no tolerance or patience for people like Deadru or his mini-ego Wildpants. They don't care about this game or the people who wish to see it become amazing. They only come here to troll.

Obviously, I did nothing to improve the situation, so I have no leg to stand on in regards to any kind of moral ground, nor am I trying to make that claim. I'll attack the trolls without remorse, every time. They can shove off, the whole lot of them.

to mod you need access to the game files
if you have access to the game files, you can do corrupt stuff with it
q.e.d., you just got proven as stupid
Full World Editor would be so awesome, someone would make a real Diablo 3 game out of it.
You will never see mod support for this game. The developers would be embarrassed by the amount of amazing content the community would create. Custom maps fall into that category.
12/13/2014 03:09 PMPosted by Sphyxiate

dito
12/13/2014 02:59 PMPosted by WildPants

to mod you need access to the game files
if you have access to the game files, you can do corrupt stuff with it
q.e.d., you just got proven as stupid

It's remarkable how behind the curve you are in this discussion. At least you still have your ace in the hole, calling people stupid. I have to advise though, you're turning out to be a one trick pony. That's the worst kind of troll.
Calling people stupid is never a good move. That said, if they were to allow map mods they would have to release the game code which they will not do. That allows for too many cheats and exploits such as D2 had. OR they have to create a sandbox to play in which they have no intention of spending the labor on. Mods are very likely to never happen in D3.
12/13/2014 03:35 PMPosted by MissCheetah
Calling people stupid is never a good move. That said, if they were to allow map mods they would have to release the game code which they will not do. That allows for too many cheats and exploits such as D2 had. OR they have to create a sandbox to play in which they have no intention of spending the labor on. Mods are very likely to never happen in D3.

Or they have to allow offline play, another thing that will never happen.

All in all, as good as the OP's suggestion is (and even slightly plausible since it's just a map maker idea), we're only torturing ourselves with false hope by thinking it could ever come true. Maybe someday, 15 years or so from now, Blizzard will discontinue their support for Diablo 3 and the modders who are passionate about this game (and still will be, even then) can realize the full potential of Diablo 3.
12/13/2014 03:52 PMPosted by BobWitchDR
Or they have to allow offline play, another thing that will never happen.

You are correct there. They are not going to release the server side code that allows for it or piracy would be rampant. I get it from a corporate point of view, but understand the player side as I get frustrated by it too when on travel. I don't always want to use online mode when at a strange internet location.

12/13/2014 03:52 PMPosted by BobWitchDR
we're only torturing ourselves with false hope by thinking it could ever come true

Yeah, likely very very true.
If blizzard won't release the code for the game like they have done in the past, why not make a Map editor and have it online so that you have to log in to use it?

It may be farfetched, but Diablo 3 is, in my opinion, not in a good place due to lack of content.

You should be able to save maps and hero's server side. Hell, maybe even have competitions for custom maps like Hero's of Newerth did with Sols Theatre and allow people to customize a Map, submit, be rewarded for the work, then allow people to play it.

It seems like the stubbornness of blizzard after Activision took them knows no bounds.

I miss old blizzard.
12/13/2014 03:54 PMPosted by MissCheetah

You are correct there. They are not going to release the server side code that allows for it or piracy would be rampant. I get it from a corporate point of view, but understand the player side as I get frustrated by it too when on travel. I don't always want to use online mode when at a strange internet location.

Yup. And the piracy thing, while I understand it, I can't help but feel like this game has realized just about all of the profits it's going to realize. They'll get one more slug of money from the final expansion, but after that, it seems like anyone who was going to pay for D3 would have. So how long does the piracy excuse stay valid?

I don't. As someone who loves the Diablo series, it's STILL all very upsetting.