Diablo 3: Why it is a sucess.

General Discussion
01/07/2015 04:18 PMPosted by OldSchool
If their goal was to build something that would have enduring appeal, though, then the picture looks less rosy.

I'll be honest. Designing a video game that people play for fifteen years is not something you really want to do and remain in business. D2 was an accident and while it made a ton of money for Blizzard all around is not something they're really anxious to repeat unless they can extend it and monetize it at once. No serious game company wants to design a game that keeps their players content and happy for that long without some way of getting something out of it.
01/07/2015 03:47 PMPosted by Tragics
Financially successful.
Gameplay failed.

Huge difference between a financially successful title and a celebrated title.
01/07/2015 09:11 PMPosted by Eschaton
Financially successful.
Gameplay failed.

It took you 611 paragon levels to figure that out?

Took me 660 paragon to find a better game to switch to, but still did it anyway. Never too late to wake up.
01/07/2015 03:38 PMPosted by oneredflag
Well here is some data for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games

Diablo 3 is the 3ed best selling game of all time. Although RoS is not showing on the link I have provided current sales figures put it around 2.7 million. That would place it in the top 40 best selling games of all time and it is just a mid-sized expansion. Failed is hardly appropriate.

People have their opinions and I respect that but many can't seem to separate fact from opinion.

I don't like D3 and D3 has failed are not synonymous.

The problem with those numbers is that they do not include the sales numbers for VALVe games from Steam as VALVe never releases that information.

That said, you are right as D3 was a success in terms of sales. However it was not a success in terms of what players though or currently think of it.

RoS completely changed the game, normally expansions add onto the existing game. And after 3 years the game still does the same thing. People get excited for a new patch, play for a bit then drop like flies.

I still enjoy it but it is not a game that holds its player base very long, especially if you consider that the base game sold 12 million and RoS was only 2.7 million. That means it only retained 25% of original sold copies and that does not even account for the fact that quite a few of the D3 sales were probably new people who were holding out for BoA.
01/07/2015 09:14 PMPosted by Eschaton
I'll be honest. Designing a video game that people play for fifteen years is not something you really want to do and remain in business.

Yes it is.

You can't sell expansions for a dead game and it's MUCH easier to iterate expansion content than it is to design a completely new game.

Having a successful model that has lasting appeal is absolutely vital to maintaining the PR needed to sell subsequent titles.

In fact, I downright REFUSE to buy EA games because of Origin.
It sold on the name alone. It sold because of the success of Diablo II... PEROID.
RoS sold because Diablo's die hard fans still had hope! Some still do to this day!
01/07/2015 03:38 PMPosted by oneredflag
Well here is some data for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games

Diablo 3 is the 3ed best selling game of all time. Although RoS is not showing on the link I have provided current sales figures put it around 2.7 million. That would place it in the top 40 best selling games of all time and it is just a mid-sized expansion. Failed is hardly appropriate.

People have their opinions and I respect that but many can't seem to separate fact from opinion.

I don't like D3 and D3 has failed are not synonymous.

Diablo 3 is a financial success but a critical failure.
In a franchise, the success of entry X is often determined more by the merits of entry X-1 than itself. You can see this effect not just in games but in movies and books as well.
Financially successful.
Gameplay failed.

Not true.

There are plenty of successful competitors on the market and yet D3 continues to be seen as the ARPG leader. People like to say that TL2, PoE, MH, Grim Dawn, etc are all far superior games...but their actions rarely back this up.

They'll spend 100's or 1000's of hours on D3 while those other better games collect dust by comparison.

This isn't a case of gameplay failure. As much as D3 has disappointed D2 fans..it's still the leader in it's genre. Which makes it a successful game beyond initial sales.
01/07/2015 04:18 PMPosted by OldSchool
If their goal was to build something that would have enduring appeal, though, then the picture looks less rosy.

I'll be honest. Designing a video game that people play for fifteen years is not something you really want to do and remain in business. D2 was an accident and while it made a ton of money for Blizzard all around is not something they're really anxious to repeat unless they can extend it and monetize it at once. No serious game company wants to design a game that keeps their players content and happy for that long without some way of getting something out of it.

It worked for World of Warcraft. It worked for Diablo 2. It worked for Star Craft. It worked for Warcraft.

Why should it suddenly stop to work for Diablo 3?

The issue with D3 really is NOT that it is a bad game. The issue is that D3 is a MEDIOCRE game with BAD support from a company that can do MUCH better. We just know it. We are Blizzard fans. We DEMAND from Blizzard to be better. Because we KNOW that they can do it better.