Ubers. Way Too Easy.

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
Thought I'd see what the community thinks of drastically up'ing the difficulty here. We're all aware of the community pleas for increased difficulty across the board for Campaign/Adventure non-rift content, but that's a far more complex issue for the dev's the suss out, due to the scaling reward structure.

But Ubers? This should be an easy fix to increase the potency of what is supposed to be a daunting challenge. Back in the day, it took strategy, planning and some kind of sensible approach in order to tackle Ubers in 1 shot.

Now? It's a mindless event that requires zero planning. 4 random strangers can party up and fell any of them without the slightest hiccup.

IMO, at the very least, Ubers should reflect a difficulty level of approx a tier 30 Grift. More appropriately, I'd like to see it between t32-t34.

This event should have some bite, and as of now, it has no teeth.
I agree, ubers should be harder. Whole game should.
12/27/2014 09:22 AMPosted by Bombus

Indeed. Ubers should be an easy fix, as the reward scaling requires little to no thought here. One should not be privy to attempting Ubers unless they've reached Diablo 3 endgame. Which means, you really shouldn't be thinking of this endgame event unless you can already crush standard t6 content.
absolutely agree 100%. havent even touched the new ubers or anything...but the idea you suggest on paper is, in my opinion, flawless.
The difficulty of ubers is getting a decent hellfire amulet to roll.

12/27/2014 09:22 AMPosted by Bombus

The difficulty of this game is based on stat relativity. It will never be "harder." You either have gear that trivializes the difficulty setting you're on, or not.
12/27/2014 09:31 AMPosted by BobWitchDR

That's a separate issue, one that should be addressed, and one that the Dev's are aware of. Rewards are an exclusive issue to the supposed fun of the event itself.
While we are at it the key wardens could use a difficulty increase, Add new multiple-level dungeons to find and kill them in.

Pretty much. Definitely agree with you on this.

12/27/2014 09:39 AMPosted by BurningRope
Rewards are an exclusive issue to the supposed fun of the event itself.

Supposed fun? The event itself lasts mere minutes for all 4 portals after a tedious time eating hunt. Adding more difficulty will only add another few minutes to the event, nothing more. You can make the Ubers GR40 and someone will ask for tougher Ubers, so sort of a pointless endeavor. Lets leave GR's in GR's! That's what they are there for if you want a challenge in this game. I have never found Ubers to be "fun" or exhilarating after the first few times since it's inception to this game. More of a disappointing time sink personally, just my opinion.
12/27/2014 09:48 AMPosted by zorve
Add new multiple-level dungeons to find and kill them in.

This would definitely be a plus in my book.
The difficulty of this game is based on stat relativity. It will never be "harder." You either have gear that trivializes the difficulty setting you're on, or not.

As true as it was written.
I am still of the firm opinion it should be. It will never happen though, as you point out.
12/27/2014 09:56 AMPosted by CAUSTIC
Supposed fun? The event itself lasts mere minutes for all 4 portals after a tedious time eating hunt. Adding more difficulty will only add another few minutes to the event, nothing more. You can make the Ubers GR40 and someone will ask for tougher Ubers, so sort of a pointless endeavor. Lets leave GR's in GR's! That's what they are there for if you want a challenge in this game. I have never found Ubers to be "fun" or exhilarating after the first few times since it's inception to this game. More of a disappointing time sink personally, just my opinion.

It should be a challenge to some extent. As it is, no challenge is present. Finding the keys and joining a proper group of players all with 4 machines each makes the process not so daunting if done correctly.

This isn't regarding efficiency. Players should at least have some pause before entering, aligning skills, bringing a stunner etc. Back in D3V, Ubers (MP10) would require some sensible approach.

Bare in mind, Ubers is one of the few areas where players are kicked out if the party wipes, as it should be.
12/27/2014 09:48 AMPosted by zorve
While we are at it the key wardens could use a difficulty increase, Add new multiple-level dungeons to find and kill them in.

This I would enjoy.
12/27/2014 10:04 AMPosted by BurningRope
Bare in mind,

I been kind of "bare in mind" for a couple of years now ;-) Happy Holidays Burning
for the players who want a challenge, you have grifts. leave the ubers alone, getting a well rolled HF ammy is hard enough
12/27/2014 10:55 AMPosted by BigTuna
for the players who want a challenge, you have grifts. leave the ubers alone, getting a well rolled HF ammy is hard enough

Higher difficulty for less rng, fix the difficulty and then we can work on the rewards.
12/27/2014 10:30 AMPosted by evok
12/27/2014 10:04 AMPosted by BurningRope
Bare in mind,

I been kind of "bare in mind" for a couple of years now ;-) Happy Holidays Burning

do'oh.......typo/brain-fart there. oops

I'm not sure this logic follows well at all.

You're saying.....because the HF ammy rollout process is screwed up and too random, and because Grifts are challenging, that the actual Uber event should NOT be difficult at all?

Yeah....no. Not really making any sense out of that. The more sane approach to this would be for them to lock in the rolls people want on the HF ammy, make it desirable and worth the hunt, as the Torch was in D2. Then do something to make the actual Uber fight something other than a walkthrough process that requires no effort.

Ubers should be daunting, fun etc. There is no fun in such ease. ....and yes, the HF ammy is another issue altogether.

But to say "For the players who want a challenge, you have grifts"......well that's just dumb.

I agree. The rewards aren't high enough to warrant making Ubers harder. I do, though, concur with the OP in that Ubers are way to easy. The whole Key Warden, Ubers and Hellfire ring/ammy design needs to be reworked.
12/27/2014 02:12 PMPosted by Guardian452

I agree. The rewards aren't high enough to warrant making Ubers harder. I do, though, concur with the OP in that Ubers are way to easy. The whole Key Warden, Ubers and Hellfire ring/ammy design needs to be reworked.

Two points;

1) For D3 endgame to have some impact, I would venture to guess most players want any and all modes/areas to be capable of offering them a challenge. Easy is not fun.

2) We talk often about improving the Uber event, and a critical part of this SHOULD be presenting players with a challenge during the actual fight.

Making the Ubers a truly desirable event to engage in requires making the reward (HF ammy & ring) worth all the trouble, as well as giving the fight some character by way of making the difficulty in-line with the power of 2.1.1. (soon to be 2.1.2.) endgame character power.
The problem is that they never do it as it should, which is to tweak it properly. They typically swing the axe way too far in one direction. Instead of making it hard but not insane they make it insane. Then they make it impossible.

You remember launch? Anything above Act 2 was near impossible for the majority. Then they made it too easy. Then the first Ubers were near impossible. Now they are too easy.

Almost two years and there are still issues. Can't satisfy everyone all of the time.
It would be great something resembling vanilla's bosses difficulty-wise, particularly the old inferno Belial. The guy was a pain in the !@# to kill, but was entirely fair and a real test of skill rather than just another lazy gear check through over-bloated numbers. There's already rifts providing enough of that.