A plea for PC Single Player

General Discussion
Dear Blizzard,

I know you guys have the ability to put in a offline single player, it's there on consoles so why not on PC? the AH is gone so what's holding it back? I work in a job where I am away for 6 months of the year and internet is sparse at best, sometimes able to load my email after 5 minutes or so.

I would love to be able to have a single player game well I am away and return to my online characters when I get home. I know the original reason was so there would be no seperation between your online and offline characters but we have seasons now anyways (which i love) so why not just throw in that offline single player component.

I should add I can't travel around with a console to get a single player fix of Diablo so my laptop is the only option :(

Help me Blizzard, you're my only hope!

A longtime Diablo fan.
People will never learn. This is simply not an option on the pc. The real reason is because Blizzard does not want D3 to end up a sewer like d2 did it has nothing to do with offline and online characters.

BtW when you talk PC and offline there is no hope.
01/26/2015 06:11 PMPosted by DeadRu
People will never learn

he only has 81 posts

BOA FOR LIFE
you keep what you kill
Never going to happen, let's hackers figure out how to exploit the game (aka cheat).
Post counts mean nothing more than some people post more comments than others.
People will never learn. This is simply not an option on the pc. The real reason is because Blizzard does not want D3 to end up a sewer like d2 did it has nothing to do with offline and online characters.

Adding an offline mode (separate from online play) wouldn't endanger battle.net. It would be like having two games. Your offline characters wouldn't affect your online characters. Any hacks you'd run would be limited to single player.

Closed D2 was never overrun with hacks. It had bots, yes, but as does D3.

The only reason D3 doesn't have offline is because it would cut into their profit (since a lot more people would pirate the game).

And offline play on the PC is just as popular as online.
01/26/2015 06:23 PMPosted by Satire

What? What severs were you playing on?
I really don't think lack of offline single player is due to the possibilty of hacks. It's part of the old mentality that was introduced along with things like RMAH and as 1 person said, it cut into their possible profits with pirating, but I think Blizz can give us offline now considering they have made quite the profit already.
01/26/2015 06:36 PMPosted by oneredflag

What? What severs were you playing on?

Doesn't really matter, but EA. The only hack I know of that ran rampant was dupped runes. And it wasn't even much of a real hack, but more an exploit. I even did that once by accident.

Besides, by the time runewords got really big, Blizzard didn't care about D2 any more. They had better things to do. I'm amazed they have supported it for so long.

I personally had a functioning dupe method on Closed D2 for about 6 months back in 2003. There was also maphacks which showed the entire map and autoloot hacks.

Closed D2 was a mess. Much worse than D3, obviously.
Most hacks are actually designed through single player since you have access to game data.

Blizzard isn't stupid. Lazy, sure. Slow, definitely. Not stupid. If D3 PC had a single player mode it would be much worse than it is now, but that's just speculation.
The following reasons are why offline will not happen for pc.

1. A good chunk of the game code is on Blizzards servers and not our computers, which makes it difficult to hack or copy the game code for various purposes.

2. The game requiring people to be online also prevents software piracy and sharing. Should someone else try to play the same game copy, then people will get booted off and blizzard can notice that it is coming from another computer. A good example is that sometimes they may temporary lock accounts temporarily should one try to play on another computer they own.

Console has offline mode because you already have a copy of the game to play and Blizzard can not control or influence the individual game networks used for online play.
There have been, and still are, exploits to the closed D3 system. People who hack don't just throw their arms up in the air and give up just because the data is harder to get to. Current BOA makes item duping a non-issue. Players viewing their own data makes drophacks a non-issue. Stale maps with little variance make maphack almost a non-issue.

This may be down to ego. Modders made D2 a MUCH better game than Blizzard did. They fear the same thing would happen with D3. ;-)
01/26/2015 07:39 PMPosted by Grimmig

Console has offline mode because you already have a copy of the game to play and Blizzard can not control or influence the individual game networks used for online play.

i have a copy of the game that i bought from the store, not downloaded. i think its semi ridiculous that they have forced this game into only an online game....
Why do companies care so much about piracy and maximizing profit? What ever happened too just making a good game to be proud of?.. single player would be great.. I have Internet issues where I live so single player would keep me satisfied.

Can you please explain how an offline mode is actually a bad thing? As long as you can't bring an offline character to the online mode, who the heck cares what you do?
Pirating is/was popular on last gen consoles especially towards the end of the gen (d3 release time frame). Just saying. You could even play them online... Xbox was ban heavy but ps3 was more less open season.

Adding an offline mode (separate from online play) wouldn't endanger battle.net. It would be like having two games. Your offline characters wouldn't affect your online characters. Any hacks you'd run would be limited to single player.

The only reason D3 doesn't have offline is because it would cut into their profit (since a lot more people would pirate the game).

And offline play on the PC is just as popular as online.

^This.
01/26/2015 06:41 PMPosted by UtopiA

I personally had a functioning dupe method on Closed D2 for about 6 months back in 2003. There was also maphacks which showed the entire map and autoloot hacks.

Closed D2 was a mess. Much worse than D3, obviously.
Most hacks are actually designed through single player since you have access to game data.

Blizzard isn't stupid. Lazy, sure. Slow, definitely. Not stupid. If D3 PC had a single player mode it would be much worse than it is now, but that's just speculation.

The whole game is already on your computer. There are ways to bypass online mode and play offline, but I don't know if it's reversible. Just look it up.

Hacks work by reading your RAM, which is exactly how maphacks work in sc2. The whole map has to be in your RAM in order for the game to run smoothly, for both games. People don't maphack d3 because there is really no reason to, although it's possible and easy because the maps are not server-side.

As far as duping items and altering the game data? Not possible with traditional methods, regardless of whether or not the game has an offline mode.
I'd be interested to know how many would pirate it vs the ~30 million copies they sold. You need a battle.net account with a diablo 3 license to log in, so it isn't like the ones that did pirate would ever be noticed. Then again, it's not like the online is super compelling with BOA, so maybe people would pirate the hell out of it... But there are no lan options, so they are truly single players. Right, or am I missing something?