Hellrift grifts need to be changed/removed

Hardcore
^ working as intended...
Too bad you didn't read my post.

01/28/2015 02:45 PMPosted by JCRUZ
Well, it IS more challenging

How is it more challenging, when it makes you to leave the game and re-make it? This is what suggests it's bad game design rather than challenge.
When was the last time you found any of these amulet with good rolls? Did you leave the Star of Az on purpose out of this?

Raziel and lightning? Get a Xepherian. Immune or simply don't stand close.
Arcane bothering you? Get a Julia's. Immune or just don't stand on beams.
Poison not your cup of tea? Get a Mara's. Immune or don't simply stand on the poison clouds.
Afraid of dying? Get shoulders, chest, and a passive, and more. Immune. LoL don't play HC
Frozen a problem? Ice Climbers (orbs still do damage). Immune or simply run quickly from the orbs building up.
Molten got you down? Blackthorns. Immune or get Start of Az maybe or simply wait until molten explodes
Afraid of walls? Illusory boots. Immune.

and now your logic:

Get a bad pack right at entrace? Leave game/make new one hope it doesn't happen again. How is that challenging?

I just had to quit 2 GR42, both at level 3, just because 2 nasty packs spawned right at the entrance and were impossible to fight against, guess which logic I had to use to overcome them... such challenge to complete half the GR then abandon it because the monsters spawn in locations impossible to pass by.

What is your cure for RD+TS+Arcane+Horde and Waller/Arcane/Orbiter/Shielding right at the entrance?
Wait I can't use both Xephirian+Cameo and stack 40-50k LoH AND do damage at the same time. Do you see the problem there? If I had some space to maneuver, perhaps I can kill them both, but encountering them before I even have the chance to lay down a sentry is not fun at all.
We've (royal we) have run into this rift type 2 or 3 times now, and it can be pretty insane, I think 2 of the 3 times we were immediately jumped and my wife having the slower computer would lag behind, so I enter in first without much support and its always pretty scary.

But that is part of what makes hardcore fun, I 'feel' scared... the game evokes an emotional response because I care deeply on not dying.

But dying does suck when it happens, especially when it feels like you ran into a 1/10000 type of situation of 3 elite packs immediately with little time to react. That's hardcore.

That can also be life.

Just gotta be better prepared and try again.
01/28/2015 03:26 PMPosted by Icicle

So why don't you simply buy your wife a new faster computer for those situations? Be hardcore I guess...

Please tell us how to be prepared for 1-2-3 elite packs jumping you as soon as you enter the rift or new level of one?

In the case with your wife, we have the answer, don't enter a new level or rift... LoL such good way to prepare.... What about those solo players? How do they prepare?

It's amusing to see the reasons for defending game developers on their poor choice to place unavoidable obstacle right at the entrance.
01/28/2015 03:31 PMPosted by silentkiller

So why don't you simply buy your wife a new faster computer for those situations? Be hardcore I guess...

Please tell us how to be prepared for 1-2-3 elite packs jumping you as soon as you enter the rift or new level of one?

In the case with your wife, we have the answer, don't enter a new level or rift... LoL such good way to prepare.... What about those solo players? How do they prepare?

It's amusing to see the reasons for defending game developers on their poor choice to place unavoidable obstacle right at the entrance.

Game is fixed.
OP's right in saying it's a suicide mission jumping into that rift. Yet the nerve racking thing it is does make it fun for me.
01/28/2015 04:37 PMPosted by fulton
OP's right in saying it's a suicide mission jumping into that rift. Yet the nerve racking thing it is does make it fun for me.

Agreed. Love the rush!

We lean more towards the side of defense than offense, and we play together, so we can cover each other in difficult times. In the 2 of 3 hellrift times we actually bailed out of the rift entirely... since death means its over, but we live to fight another day.

The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom.
Too bad you didn't read my post.

01/28/2015 02:45 PMPosted by JCRUZ
Well, it IS more challenging

and now your logic:

Get a bad pack right at entrace? Leave game/make new one hope it doesn't happen again. How is that challenging?

I just had to quit 2 GR42, both at level 3, just because 2 nasty packs spawned right at the entrance and were impossible to fight against, guess which logic I had to use to overcome them... such challenge to complete half the GR then abandon it because the monsters spawn in locations impossible to pass by.

No my logic is that, by design, at some point you're going to hit something, at some level in a GR, that is unbeatable.

Maybe it's a 3-pack at the entrance. Maybe it's something else. What will you do when you hit GR 48 and run into something unbeatable there? GR50? GR60?

You're much farther ahead of a lot of people on the difficulty curve, but each and every one of us will hit that same wall at some point.
01/28/2015 05:41 PMPosted by Icicle

We lean more towards the side of defense than offense, and we play together, so we can cover each other in difficult times. In the 2 of 3 hellrift times we actually bailed out of the rift entirely... since death means its over, but we live to fight another day.

The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom.

Good point.
Of course, we'll all hit the wall at some point, that's fine no big deal, but why put the wall with multiple packs at the entrance forcing you to remake the game?

Where I am or anyone is at the difficulty curve doesn't really matter? I rather hit a wall at something else, rather than 3 packs at entrance or nasty RG teleporting through half the map and insta procing you. It's design, but it's a bad one.
01/28/2015 07:50 PMPosted by silentkiller
Of course, we'll all hit the wall at some point, that's fine no big deal, but why put the wall with multiple packs at the entrance forcing you to remake the game?

Where I am or anyone is at the difficulty curve doesn't really matter? I rather hit a wall at something else, rather than 3 packs at entrance or nasty RG teleporting through half the map and insta procing you. It's design, but it's a bad one.

Well said. Agreed.

I hear you. The design is debatable and I know you have strong passions about that.

RIP to your DH :(
01/28/2015 08:09 PMPosted by JCRUZ

I hear you. The design is debatable and I know you have strong passions about that.

RIP to your DH :(

RIP indeed. Nice Dh!
Had one of these again tonight. Was a solo GR36 on my wiz with a triple-pack at the entrance. Made it back out the entrance but decided to jump back in to see if I could clear it. Proc'ed right away so decided to just bail back and leave the game.

First time EVER that I've ran away from a fight.
We've (royal we) have run into this rift type 2 or 3 times now, and it can be pretty insane, I think 2 of the 3 times we were immediately jumped and my wife having the slower computer would lag behind, so I enter in first without much support and its always pretty scary.

But that is part of what makes hardcore fun, I 'feel' scared... the game evokes an emotional response because I care deeply on not dying.

But dying does suck when it happens, especially when it feels like you ran into a 1/10000 type of situation of 3 elite packs immediately with little time to react. That's hardcore.

That can also be life.

I don't mind the fear, just give me a chance. A WD at the start of a grift is pretty useless until you build up.
I have encountered this situation many times on my witch doctor. I have had several close calls but was always able to get away....until this morning that is.

Entered my first attempt at GR 39 and was immediately jumped by an elite anarch pack, a champion anarch pack, and several normal anarchs. From the death screen I could see at least 20 anarchs looming over and growling at my mangled corpse. Attempted multiple times to click the rift portal and despite first using spirit walk and then having spirit vessel, I could not manage to get to it. I am guessing I was misclicking on anarchs as they repeatedly charged me. I am all for challenge, after all that is why I was attempting GR 39. This did not feel so much like a challenge to my skill as a player however, but rather more like rolling the dice and hoping for snake eyes.

This was a problem in the cesspools when 2.1.0 went live. They eventually hotfixed it such that "The Cesspools should less frequently spawn enemies immediately at the start of the level (9/3)". We can only hope they will do the same thing for hell rifts. Until that happens looks like its back to hitting escape during the loading screen in solo games for me...