Need help pushing to 40 tonight

Wizard
I realize that this thread probably won't mean much with the patch coming out tomorrow and the change to Grift but I'd like to try to push to lvl 40 tonight so I can say I reached one of my personal goal before they made it easier.

I've been slowly getting higher in the Grift and was able to finally break my wall this weekend. After being stuck on Grift 36 for a while, I manage to clear it. I then cleared both 38 and 39 back to back. 38 wasn't too hard but I had some issue with the mobs in 39 and barely finished it with 30ish second left.

I'd like to know if there is anything in my gear/skill I should change or if I've hit the L2P portion of the game where gear itself won't make a big different?

My Grift Wiz:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Azliet-1154/hero/49587180

FYI, I swap to a Unity+FB chest when I go solo.
Unity: 49%CHD, 6CHC, 15% elite, Socket
FB chest: 480Int, 475Vit, Armor, 3 Sockets

I also want to thank all the Wiz who have been posting in here to help people out. I've learned a lot from you guys and definitely wouldn't have made it this high without all of your help.
Your vitality is a little low, do you have a different set of shoulders you can use? Otherwise everything else seems fine. I would swap to anything but wormhole rune for teleport and you don't need GC for 40. Also why are your gems so low ranked, you should have gotten those to at least high 30's by now. Good luck.
Looks pretty much like L2P+Luck of the rift.

At this point I would say you would probably fare better using Blur+Prismatic instead of Glass Cannon+Force Armor as well. You look to have more than enough dps for a lvl 40 grift, you might be focusing too much of your time trying to kill whites and enemies you should leave behind.
I don't think I have another pair of shoulder with better stats. I'll look. I'm assuming I'd want similar stats but with %life instead of regen?

These gems are my highest. I've been distracted with WD, DH and Monk lately so I was leveling gems there instead. I also don't have a group that can do rift higher than what I can do solo so that limits my ability to level gems. I was playing solo until very recently. Still trying to gear up my friends so we can attempt higher group rift and have a easier time leveling up the gems.

I've been using GC because I don't really see what else I could use that would be better. I tried EE for the 10% boost but it didn't really seem to do much of a difference.

I didn't think of Blur+PA. I did the 38 with GC+PA because I forgot to change it and it worked well. I was just afraid that the jump in damage would kill me so I switched to Force Armor for my 39 run. Thinking back on it, I probably would have been better with PA.

I've wanted to switch Wormhole to safe passage, I just never actually did it lol I like the mobility of WH but I also wasn't using Illusionist so I guess it becomes a bit unless now. I'll try Safe Passage tonight.

Thanks again for the help.
Use EE - blur- prismatic - UA

Also switch wormhole to a defensive teleport.

You should have plenty of DPS to clear a 40.

No point committing to new gear now, but I'm sure you can clear 40 without any upgrades.

Make sure you have a couple keys for some attempts! GL!
01/12/2015 07:06 AMPosted by Boozor
Use EE - blur- prismatic - UA

Also switch wormhole to a defensive teleport.

You should have plenty of DPS to clear a 40.

No point committing to new gear now, but I'm sure you can clear 40 without any upgrades.

Make sure you have a couple keys for some attempts! GL!

That would mean I drop either Illusionist or Evocation. If I switch to safe passage, illusionist becomes almost a must. I could see dropping evocation since I only have BH on cooldown but it'll mean relearning the timer.

I'm sure the %life on shoulder would help but like you said no real point in upgrading gear today. I'll still keep it in mind for after the patch.

For keys I can only get lvl 37 with my DH. This isn't too bad since it'll give me some time to practice with the new skills while i'm getting the key's leveled up.
You'll likely make multiple attempts at 40 so try to finish them even if you are going to fail. At least you can level your gems to 40ish level.
yeah I always finish the rift.. even if it's 10min after the counter ended lol

The only exception is when I tried a second 39 this weekend and forgot to put my FB chest back in. only had 5 piece of FB and no RoRG. after 8min I only had 2%. That's when I realized my error and dropped out of the rift lol
I would never drop illusionist or evocation, i'd say forget Glass cannon.

Take Blur if you have trouble surviving, but EE should be your DPS passive if you have 10% or more imo.

EE or Blur - Illusionist - Evocation - UA

TRY calamity. extra 5% from arcane element + "crowd control" + BOTT trigger

Next is to get a couple keys together so you can get in the zone and do them.

Try a group ? Usually easier.
I'll try both EE and blur and see which one helps the most.

I didn't think of calamity. Wouldn't that force me to teleport into the mobs instead of away? since I already have BoTT at 25, anything I come close to is slowed already so getting that to trigger isn't a big issue.

I might be missing something here.

As for groups, do you mean for farming the keys from the trial? That might work, I should be able to get another DH to help me.
Calamity is a double-edged sword. You can use it to save your skin and you can misuse it and get yourself massacred.

It's an easy way to disrupt troublesome enemies like ranged mobs or RGs like Perdition's backstab attack. It's also a good way to initiate some actions, but again, double-edged sword.

Another perk is the arcane portion of Elemental Exposure, as mentioned.

There's much L2P involved with Calamity compared to other Teleport runes.
With the stun only lasting 1 sec (and as such the BoTT buff) and the 5% EE increase lasting only 5 second, is it really worth the chance of getting myself killed by teleporting close to the mobs? Also by going in, don't I lose Zei's benefit? Losing 29% for those 1-3 second where I have to be in close to add 5% from arcane damage for only 5 second doesn't sound like a good trade-off.

I never played with Calamity so I might not understand the reasoning correctly.
Do you remember when you were kiting forward and had no choice but to teleport/run straight into a fresh pack of mobs?

Calamity remembers.
01/12/2015 08:38 AMPosted by Azliet
I never played with Calamity so I might not understand the reasoning correctly.

Stopping mobs from hitting you completely is better than having damage they deal reduced in a lot of cases. The extra damage you get from the EE stack is just gravy.

Takes a while to get use to and you'll definitely go through a phase of teleporting into death a lot, but that's part of the fun. Whites are fine but teleporting straight into the middle of Fire Chains/Electrify mobs... fun fun!
Visualize this.

You -------Elite pack

*you cast blizz/hydra/BH*

As elite pack shakes out of BH and heads towards you, you teleport, hitting them with the edge of calamity radius. But now your ahead of them.

Original you ----elite---( ----you now-----)

(----) is the calamity radius. In an open area you can "dance" around them, stunning and holding them with BH when cool down is off. This makes extremely quick work of elites but it is L2P.

Timing the stun to allow your cool downs to come off for more BH is important to surviving. If they have electrify obviously keep your distance a bit.

But calamity at least gives you a split second "option" whether defensive or offensive is up to the situation.
hmm I see

Definitely something i'll need to start playing with and learn.

01/12/2015 08:41 AMPosted by BDF
Do you remember when you were kiting forward and had no choice but to teleport/run straight into a fresh pack of mobs?

Calamity remembers.

Yeah that might be my biggest problem. I still tend to kite backwards too often and stick to mobs I should just ignore.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I see I still have a lot to learn and try.
Calamity is great. Takes a bit of getting used to though, but I am a huge fan. Helped me get to 39 back when I was trying. Going to try to get 40 as well tonight on seasons.
01/12/2015 09:03 AMPosted by Azliet
hmm I see

Definitely something i'll need to start playing with and learn.

01/12/2015 08:41 AMPosted by BDF

Calamity remembers.

Yeah that might be my biggest problem. I still tend to kite backwards too often and stick to mobs I should just ignore.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I see I still have a lot to learn and try.

Kiting backwards is a viable strategy if there are just too many mobs that are dangerous. It helps create a bit of space so that you can more easily manage the herds. The only thing to look out for is that you don't kite all the way to the entrance like one of my clanmates did during his stream. I told him that he wasn't a DH running from Thunderstorm and Jailer.
01/12/2015 10:06 AMPosted by snickerers
Kiting backwards is a viable strategy if there are just too many mobs that are dangerous. It helps create a bit of space so that you can more easily manage the herds.

Or you can funnel the enemies through a constricted path and make use of mammoth's lava stacks and/or BH.
Alright so I didn't quite make it. Had 3 lvl 40 keys and missed them all by either a few second or a few minutes, one even took me 30minutes lol I did however beat my previous time in 39 and leveled up a few gems so not everything was lost.

I also found a FB chest with 493int (after reroll), 492 vit, 11% elite reduction and 6% melee reduction. That's definitely going to be my next chest piece lol

I tried blur-evocation-Illusionist-UA and EE-Evo-Illusionist-UA. Found the second one to be better. I was either not taking on much damage (where PA was useful) or I was getting nuked (where nothing could have helped) so the added damage from EE was better than the toughness from blur.

I did learn to use Calamity and I'm liking it. I still need to get used to the single TP but I was getting there.

Question about EE, does the buff get's snapshot in the FB DOT? I wasn't sure if it did so I kept trying to TP in just before the infinite dot to add that 5% damage from calamity.

edit: ok found the answer to that one. Seems it should snapshot as long as the buff was up when the infinite dot triggers.

Now I'll need to relearn everything with the new density lol