Legendaries - 95% garbage design

Items and Crafting
Prev 1 4 5 6 13 Next
I have to say that adding ancient items should buy the developers some time. Granted this just a programming fix and not creative. Still it's game changing. So given stats can roll much higher, I think its best for them to take their time with new items and PTR for testing.

I will say that I do have a few equipped Ancient items. Too hard to not use given that they always roll better than a perfectly rolled non-ancient. Also the one new item I have is The Broken Crown. This item more than makes up for leaving me hanging with unusable Flawless Imperial Gems. The gems I need always drop.
01/26/2015 02:52 PMPosted by Pereg
I would say that amulets are the one item slot that I'm always eager to identify, regardless of knowing which legendary power it will be.

I used to feel the same way. Since the recent patch, though, I'm far more likely to get excited about other item types, including Legendary or Set items I already have (since they could be Ancient items). I've heard similar comments from community members.

It's worth noting that one of our long term goals is to make more items competitive with those considered "best in slot." For rings, that means creating better alternatives to Unity, Ring of Royal Grandeur and Stone of Jordan. For sets, that means better alternatives to existing 6 piece Sets (some of which you'll see in a future patch).

Ideally, this should mean you'll get more excited about many different item types, as we gradually introduce more desirable Legendary item powers over time.
I would say that amulets are the one item slot that I'm always eager to identify, regardless of knowing which legendary power it will be.

i'm always eager to identify:

- Mad Monarch's Scepter
- Odyn Son (i really want to try this one, sadly there's almost no chance to find it with my DH)
- Azurewrath (i really want to try this one, sadly there's almost no chance to find it with my DH)
- Wizardspike (i really want to try this one, sadly there's almost no chance to find it with my DH)
- lidless wall (sadly, I can only get it via bloodshards with my DH)
- defender of westmarch (sadly, I can only get it via bloodshards with my DH)
- String of ears (either very rare or just "smart"-loot)
- Eye of Etlich (either very rare or just "smart"-loot) / the Ess of Johann (either very rare or just "smart"-loot)
- Firewalkers :D
- Pox Faulds :D
- Moonlight ward (either very rare or just "smart"-loot)
- Death watch mantle
- Andariels
- Slave Bonds
- Rogar's huge stone
- Krede's Flame
Wormwood as an example:

Who thought it was a good idea to update existing legendaries but then only make them available for the new season??? I hope this isn't a trend where every single existing legendary gets a power and then is made seasonal only, not all of us want to make a new character every season.... or wait months to regain access to items that were previously available.
01/27/2015 11:15 AMPosted by Tyvalir

I used to feel the same way. Since the recent patch, though, I'm far more likely to get excited about other item types, including Legendary or Set items I already have (since they could be Ancient items). I've heard similar comments from community members.

It's worth noting that one of our long term goals is to make more items competitive with those considered "best in slot." For rings, that means creating better alternatives to Unity, Ring of Royal Grandeur and Stone of Jordan. For sets, that means better alternatives to existing 6 piece Sets (some of which you'll see in a future patch).

Ideally, this should mean you'll get more excited about many different item types, as we gradually introduce more desirable Legendary item powers over time.

While I would not call it excitement any more, since I have just gotten used to salvaging pretty much any item, I like the general idea that some items which are not usable in their non-ancient version can actually be used in their respective ancient version. This goes mainly for weapons though, other slots are still set in stone. (your set, the usual jewelery)

F.e. I have been hoping for ancient Sunkeeper/Rimeheart/Shard of Hate to try dualwielding my Raekor barb.

Have been playing from P730 to P763 since the patch, 80% of that on barb, and I have to say:

You made the same mistake with ancient weapons that you did with several other things in the history of the game:

- Useful/viable/fun/desirable stuff too rare

- Invalidation of other content (non-ancient items = all salvage material after a certain point)

- No reliable means of obtaining desired items (Gambling an ancient Furnace will cost you about 1 million bloodshards...without a guarantee that it has the rolls you need...come on guys!)

This game would incredibly benefit from mechanics like these:

- A complete reroll of an item. Found an ancient item but it rolled irreparably bad? Completely reroll it, it will stay ancient but get new, random rolls. Could be via consumable (Gift of Renewal) or via mat & gold sink at the mystic

- Upgrade option to ancient status. If you found the non-ancient version with the affixes you desire, why can't we upgrade it to ancient status? Again, consumable (Gift of the Ancients) or via leveling it up, experience based.

- More efficient gambling!! Amulets and weapons are too expensive. The first should cost 25 bloodshards each. Weapons should stay at their price, but let us chose the weapon type!

- Also, please fix the way amulets roll. I have found 5 Stars of Azkaranth since reaper of souls came out. Literally the rarest item in the whole game...guess what, all of them were irreparably bad because their guaranteed stats are useless. An item as rare as this should at least have crit chance as a guaranteed affix.

PS: Since you brought up Sash of Knives Tyvalir, that item is terrible, just like nearly every other item that has a proc that deals damage. Shard of Hate and maaaybe Maximus might be an exception, but f.e. the procs of Andariel's visage, Thunderfury, Odyn Son, Thundergod's Vigor etc. are all insignificant.

I don't get the design philosophy of those. I can't imagine you guys want all "legendary procs" to do nothing but tickle monsters and look good.
Are those maybe a relict of the past, where the game came out and you did not want us to beat the content too fast?

Either way, nearly all item procs that deal damage need significant buffs.

We don't need 200 items with cosmetic effects, no matter how good they look, if they are weak, the item is weak.
I get excited for jewelry, but I honestly don't know why.
I can't remember the last time I've had more than one of CHC, CHD, Socket, IAS in any ring or amy without rerolling.
as we gradually introduce more desirable Legendary item powers over time.

understatement and pathetic quote of the year

Just gotta make sure we're honest with ourselves about these items' worth:

RoRG: Effectively doubles your set bonuses, or allows an extra legendary effect.
Unity: 50% damage reduction across the board.
SoJ: 20% element and 35% elite damage.

If you come up with new legendary jewelry and think it's too powerful, compare it to those effects before making a final decision. I know you guys hate making good items, but these rings are so ridiculously powerful that unless you plan on nerfing them and having us log in to less powerful characters it's time to take the gloves off and make some real rings! Eternal Union, for example, is a really good one, but needs more to be on the level of the top 3.

As for sets, please understand that 6-piece bonuses make gearing far less interesting. They result in cookie-cutter builds that aren't fun to theorycraft. More 2-4 piece sets would be welcome, and 2-piece sets would reduce the need for a RoRG in the bargain!
01/27/2015 02:06 PMPosted by Zen
More 2-4 piece sets would be welcome

sadly most 2 piece sets are also terrible atm... :-P

01/27/2015 01:42 PMPosted by Kyrone
Either way, nearly all item procs that deal damage need significant buffs

what would be significant enough?
01/27/2015 02:04 PMPosted by DeathGodGang
understatement and pathetic quote of the year

My thoughts exactly. That statement stood out like a sore thumb. The wording means that you guys are intentionally delaying legendary powers for no reason but to do just that.
01/24/2015 03:54 PMPosted by Alukat
life leech has been removed from d3... players demanded it...

Really? Just like we asked for the "rare" retroactive nerfs, got it!
01/24/2015 09:14 PMPosted by Alukat
01/24/2015 04:32 PMPosted by PowerCosmic
Alukat, you need to play more. Until you do, you don't know anything.

lol mister "i play the same build as everyone else".....

01/24/2015 04:27 PMPosted by Bnetplayer
he cant do that because they dont exist

obviously.

01/24/2015 04:24 PMPosted by MrDrProf
It would be far easier to list the useful legendaries...

then do it ^^

And give blizz a target for the next nerf. If I find gear or build that works well the last thing I would do is post it.
For sets, that means better alternatives to existing 6 piece Sets (some of which you'll see in a future patch).

Alternatives that AREN'T also sets themselves?

Sure that make so much sense.....
So lets talk about that Future patch?
Will It be that Patch that just came out.....No..
Will it be the Patch with the Barb Board and the 3vs old Monk 6p Sets...Nope..
Will it be before Blizzcon 2015...Nope..
You know what ......
Just stop with the future patch stuff....
PLEASE..
THX The Angry Monk
I have lost my faith

I already accepted the fact that these legendary items are actually not.

They can call those glorified yellows whatever they want.

But know this... if one become a true powerful legendary item, it will meet the NERF BAT (which is btw the only real powerful weapon we have in D3)

Edit. oh I will give you just one tiny example.... pre-nerf furnace everyone? that's what a truly legendary item should feel like. Godly, powerful, u know legendary???!!!

and don't give me those balance arguments...im off work, cya
01/24/2015 01:17 PMPosted by TheBABY
soo, all items should be endgame.

got it.

No they should at least roll better than yellows. E.g. ALWAYS leg ammy chd/chc > yellow ammy chd/chc. It's pretty ridiculous that you can get a Star of Azkaranth with CHD 50% roll.

I think the game need dramatically increase in loot choice.

4-5 items per season which takes half a year is too long.

Way too little way too late.... Ill check back in a year to see if D3 ever catches up with PoE in build diversity, gear customization and replayability.
01/26/2015 02:58 PMPosted by clueso
and btw.: what about all our ideas from the Legendary Workshop from Blizzcon?!
I'm sure something useful is in there as well.

Ah, great question! John Yang and Julian Love actually discussed some of the Legendary item power ideas submitted for the workshop during our follow-up livestream. Aside from the power picked by the team at BlizzCon, there were several others that John and Julian mentioned wanting to add to the game.

While I don't have any specifics to share right now, if we were to move forward with any of those Legendary Workshop ideas (or different powers based on said ideas), the earliest players might see them added to the game would be in patch 2.2.0.