How high can a pet doc go without SMK/ T&T

Witch Doctor
As a fresh player, you have to search or craft set items as you go along (Aughild/Cain). Maybe Hallowed Sufferance if you don't have a fast weapon with high DPS.[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by "fresh", as in fresh to RoS?

I've largely avoided crafting items as I generally have rotten luck with rerolling stats as is. Just blew through 2 mil, 10 ameths and at least 20 souls to finally get a socket on a Stone of Jordan. That really sucks. I'll have to start amassing souls in order to start crafting. How will I know what stats are good on Aughild/Cain?

However, I can't complain as I had a friend just carry me through GR28 and got a SoJ, MoJ and an upgraded ammy via bloodshards. Some very nice upgrades. Looking forward to seeing what I can do now.

As for skills, so firebats is out. Bummer as it proced the passive well. I'm assuming Toads will proc instead? I've read your pets guide and it's seriously information overload lol. I still try to read it in the hopes of helping to digest additional info but most of it goes over my head due to sheer numbers. Hard for me to figure out what's better.
12/27/2014 07:19 PMPosted by Pvster
How will I know what stats are good on Aughild/Cain?

Shoulders: Int/Vit/[CDR or Armor]/Skill damage
Chest: Int/Vit/Skill damage/3 sockets, optional secondary damage reduction (preferably ranged)
Bracers: Elemental damage (probably physical)/Int/Vit/Crit Chance, optional secondary damage reduction (preferably ranged). Yours are ok.

Skill damage is usually Fetish Army damage (currently preferred) or Zombie Dog damage, but only when paired with Tall Man's Finger.

3pc Aughild's goes a long way in terms of toughness. You don't want Diamonds in your sockets as a WD, use Topazes. Except in your helm where it's either Diamond for CDR (very helpful) or Amethyst (if you really need the extra HP).

Pants: Int/Vit/Armor (the high bracket, can roll either up to 397 or 595)/2 sockets, preferably a single resist
Boots: Int/Vit/Armor/All Resist, optional secondary CC (immobilize on hit)

Not sure what you mean by "fresh", as in fresh to RoS?

I guess that's what he meant, your char looks pretty "fresh" to RoS. Nice SoJ btw!

I'm assuming Toads will proc instead?

Yup

Your build is pretty solid for a starter pet doc, just some little changes I would propose for now:
Fetish Army (Legion of Daggers) is tons better than Gargantuan, because of their sheer mass (but it has cooldown), best is to try it and decide then.
Spirit Walk is usually runed with "Jaunt", the 50% extra time is better than the little healing in most cases.
It's been a month or so since last I played but I made it to go 29 or 30 with the dagger of darts/carneval poison build. Basically just get those two items, stack attack speed and equip like a Ukai an serpent for mitigation and go to town. Obviously pet gem and gogok are kind of mandatory
I dont have an SMk and i can solo t5 ubers and run gr27 gr..w/o dying
I hit 28 on seasons yesterday with a ton of time leftover.
Build and gear is no where near optimal yet although I do have
both WH and T&T but a crappy flayer.

Was running a poison build just to try it out and its okay but can see why a physical would be better
Before I got my TnT I was capping out around Grift 26-27.

I switched over to a Dart build with Zuni/poison and was able to push into the low 30's.

The main thing holding me back now is lack of unity rings, still haven't seen one.
12/28/2014 05:13 PMPosted by AlCalzone

Shoulders: Int/Vit/[CDR or Armor]/Skill damage
Chest: Int/Vit/Skill damage/3 sockets, optional secondary damage reduction (preferably ranged)
Bracers: Elemental damage (probably physical)/Int/Vit/Crit Chance, optional secondary damage reduction (preferably ranged). Yours are ok.

Skill damage is usually Fetish Army damage (currently preferred) or Zombie Dog damage, but only when paired with Tall Man's Finger.

3pc Aughild's goes a long way in terms of toughness. You don't want Diamonds in your sockets as a WD, use Topazes. Except in your helm where it's either Diamond for CDR (very helpful) or Amethyst (if you really need the extra HP).

Pants: Int/Vit/Armor (the high bracket, can roll either up to 397 or 595)/2 sockets, preferably a single resist
Boots: Int/Vit/Armor/All Resist, optional secondary CC (immobilize on hit)

Excellent, thank you very much! This really helps with trying to determine what is "good" gear.

I guess that's what he meant, your char looks pretty "fresh" to RoS. Nice SoJ btw!

Ah ok, Yeah its really fresh to RoS lol. Only when I picked up RoS for 50% off was I willing to come back to this game. hadn't really touched it in nearly 2 years since.

Thanks on the compliments regarding the SoJ. I'm assuming you mean the mask? I wasn't sure if it was a good find or not. Is there anything I should reroll on it?

Your build is pretty solid for a starter pet doc, just some little changes I would propose for now:
Fetish Army (Legion of Daggers) is tons better than Gargantuan, because of their sheer mass (but it has cooldown), best is to try it and decide then.
Spirit Walk is usually runed with "Jaunt", the 50% extra time is better than the little healing in most cases.

Excellent, nice to know that I am on the right track. With just the few upgrades I've already had, I notice a significant improvement solo which is nice. Now I just need to figure out how to up my survivability. Getting 1 shot by mortar/plague with nearly zero chance of evading. Seems 3pc Aughild's will help me a lot as you stated. Which 3 pieces should I aim for? Once I have the correct Aughilds I'll be able to replace the diamonds with topazes.

Thanks for the tip on skills. I'll make the changes. I am reluctant to use Fetish Army due to the long cool down. I'm still too used to the tank doctor build (which I loved and miss). How is the playstyle now with this build generally?
12/30/2014 03:48 PMPosted by Pvster
Which 3 pieces should I aim for? Once I have the correct Aughilds I'll be able to replace the diamonds with topazes.

I reformatted the post and !@#$ed up the logical order ;)
Aughild's: Shoulders, Chest, Bracers. You can invest a bit, since you will use them for a while.
Cain's: Pants and Boots, optional Gloves (Int/Attack Speed/Crit Chance/Crit Damage) until you find Tasker&Theo (with the same stats preferably)

Topazes also give you all resist through Intelligence, although less than Diamonds. But they mainly give you more damage which helps killing those nasty mobs faster, therefore increasing your survivability. WDs and Wizards in general have high All Resist, so there is almost no need to further increase that through your gear/gems.
If you really need to (see below for more toughness tips), you can mix Topazes (Int/Resists) and Amethysts (Vitality).

Thanks on the compliments regarding the SoJ. I'm assuming you mean the mask? I

SoJ = Stone of Jordan. Pretty rare and very nice rolls.
MoJ = Mask of Jeram. Sadly not that well rolled (preferably Int/Vit/CHC/Socket/>90% dmg), but not that rare

Thanks for the tip on skills. I'll make the changes. I am reluctant to use Fetish Army due to the long cool down. I'm still too used to the tank doctor build (which I loved and miss). How is the playstyle now with this build generally?

With the Fetish Army cooldown you have 4 options:

• Live with it and see it as a supplemental damage, just like Big Bad Voodoo. Pop both on nasty elites and the Rift Guardians. Keep as much damage as possible in the downtime => high passive fetish generation, big poison dog with Tall Man's Finger.
  • Gear towards the Zuni set. You lose flexibility and give up Uhkapian Serpent, either Stone of Jordan, Tall Man's Finger or Unity. I never liked it and progressed up to GR33 without it.
  • Leave it out of your skill bar (not recommended). Probably the best burst damage skill
  • And last but not least: Hope and pray for a Starmetal Kukri. If you stick to option #1, you will already be used to the playstyle when it drops.

Pet doctors want fast weapons, Daggers, Swords or Ceremonial Knives. You can craft
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/living-umbral-oath
at the Blacksmith for a start, ideally with Int, high damage rolls (up to +1199-1490), +10% Damage, Socket, (+7% Attack Speed, if you add the Socket through a Ramaladni's Gift)

The playstyle in general:
Crowdcontrol with Piranhas (also gives you a damage buff and activates "procs" the Bane of the Trapped gem). Keep it up on enemies your pets attack.
Spam Rain of Toads like crazy to get as much passive fetishes as possible and keep them around. If you manage to find a Rhen'ho Flayer, switch to the Addling Toads rune. It procs the Fetishes much better and gives additional crowd control. You want to get close!

For nasty elites (the ones that can kill you easily) and the rift guardian pop Big Bad Voodoo and Fetish Army. The Voodoo should be placed in a way that both your pets and you are in its area. Your pets attack faster when they are and they gain damage when you are.
Try not to get hit by anything.

Targeting your toughness problems:
Take a look at my main WD http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/AlCalzone-2424/hero/41872026
I'll leave it for a day or 2. Those are the stats (Int/Vit/etc) you want on each piece of gear in the long term.
All Resist is not that important as WDs tend to have a lot, focus on Armor if you lack toughness. A good slot would be on the shoulders instead of cooldown reduction. I only have Armor on Pants and Boots, All Resist on Boots is nice to have but optional.

You want Vitality on your mojo (up to 750), I'd reroll Mana Regeneration for that. Gives tons of toughness. Since you have issues with toughness, try to find an Uhkapian Serpent. Together with Dogs on your skill bar, you get up to 30% damage reduction, which is huge.
Awesome, thank you so much Al!

I need to get to bed but I'll post more tomorrow. I've got a couple of items in my stash that I wonder if I should swap out or invest in (rerolling for sockets).

Again, thank you for sharing and posting the items in your profile. I took screenshots of everything so I'll have that in hand so I know the ballpark of what to look for.
Currently in group I can do 32. Alone, I can do 25.

Im sure I can hit higher levels, if I sit at my desk and play. Im to lazy to do that, so I just play on my laptop while sitting in bed.
Question here. I am in the hoping and praying for an SMK stage of these pointers. I wanted to just ask if there was a faster way to get the white items to break down. Right now I just do rifts or bounties and collect the whites off the ground.

I'm down to about 500 materials in that regard. I try to get better Augh bracers couple times a night. Thanks for advice.

-Sark
12/31/2014 06:56 AMPosted by darkvoid
Im sure I can hit higher levels, if I sit at my desk and play.

Or use your SMK the way it is meant to ;P
Ok here's an update:

I found a decent Upkapain which significantly helps with survivability.

Also crafted a decent cain's pants. Got firebomb dmg as the 3rd affix, what should I reroll it to?

Also got an upgraded weapon. Which is very helpful.

got an upgraded chest, not great but better than what I had. it has 10% zombie dog dmg, should I reroll that or leave it?

Still working on skills, I tried fetish army and its nice. still adjsting my playstyle, thank you.

I attempted rerolling and crafting too much that I ran out of blue crafting material, that sucks. Gotta start building that up now.

Wanted to add, I found some interesting weapons. Not sure which one I should use.

Current: Silaria - 2572.4 1.48 AS
1199-1481 cold dmg
+7% dmg
658 int
6% IAS
Socket

In Stash -

Gidbinn - 2125.2 1.4 AS
1106-1344 fire dmg
686 int
18% area on hit
13 mana regen/sec (would reroll this stat)
1.5% chance to chill
Chance to summon fetish

Envious blade
1912.8 1.58 AS
894-1107 poison dmg
719 int
650 vit
IAS 5%
Gain 100% chance to critical hit enemies that have full hp - This is what intrigues me.

Also crafted a decent pair of cain boots
570 armor
424 int
493 vit
95 all resist
10% firebat dmg (I would reroll this stat).

Should I replace the following boots I have now with the cains boots? I have caints paints so I would get the 2 set bonus. I know its not a great roll but it really boosts my stats, So I suppose its good.
974 armor
471 int
465 vit
386 armor+
4199 life regen

Any suggestions?
I have hit GR39 with my main WD. However, I have yet to find a SMK. So I say go ahead and grind for the Zuni set and try for a T&T before the SMK.
12/23/2014 07:57 AMPosted by Chas
Maybe I suck, but when I got my SMK, I didn't increase my GR level at all. I got to 33 without it, still stuck there.

Don't belittle reaching GR33.

Unlike you, I really totally suck - maybe just me or probably using not the best skills/gear available to me, but I use what I find to be fun. I never before had issues with maintaining my Fetish Army until I started GRs. I can't get past Lvl 25 atm and frequently my FA gets wiped out. So despite the my skill and skills/gear I use, I believe a good SKM would help me.
t4.

you can get to about t4 without smk or t&t.
30ish is topping out with no TnT due to the bug on fetish damage and poison + Darts. When patch hits that will change some. Right now I can finsh a 31 with less than 30 seconds remaining...getting that 100% damage boost from Blizzard correcting their poor coding will be huge in my opinion.
01/03/2015 08:10 AMPosted by HollowForce
I have hit GR39 with my main WD. However, I have yet to find a SMK. So I say go ahead and grind for the Zuni set and try for a T&T before the SMK.

You cleared 39 with that setup?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/HollowForce-1718/hero/43013691

I don't believe you.
01/04/2015 07:00 AMPosted by esoteric
t4.

you can get to about t4 without smk or t&t.

Wrong, Carnevil can farm T6 very comfortably, low 30s GRifts are possible even without perfect gear.
Highest clear is 38, maybe 39 if I missed something. So you can get about that high (not easily though).
Hey Al,

Would you be willing to give me some more feedback?

This is where I'm at right now: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Pvster-1452/hero/41492429

I can now do T6 without getting 1 shot vs most elites. Reflect elites are still a major !@#$%. I'm noticeably stronger which is nice. Your advice and Paul's advice has helped A LOT. I cannot thank you enough.

Now that I'm pretty much at the start point (only missing witching hour belt and hellfire ammy), what is the next goal I should aim for? When do I start reshuffling my equipment?

Is there anything I should reroll on my current gear?

I finally found a gift that will allow me to add a socket. Should I reroll the socket on my weapon? If so, what do I reroll it to? Or do I save the gift for a specific weapon?